Author Topic: "Skill Applied" for Firearms? (Damage modifier)  (Read 6008 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
"Skill Applied" for Firearms? (Damage modifier)
« on: April 01, 2015, 07:58:18 pm »
The thought crossed my mind, that it might be useful in a modding sense if ranged weapons might somehow benefit from skill applied.

Does this work now?  I think Strength does ( Dioxine's Box in PirateZ) and melee skill (for items like combat knife), but what about Firing Accuracy?  The idea being that as soldiers get more accurate, they get more deadly (think sniper shots in the eye for Acc 80 in vanilla).

Another method could be based on Rank.  As soldiers rank up, they get an increase in damage applied to any of their hits.  (yep, I guess this would involve modifying the code  - maybe a feature of OXE?).  Rookies get no bonus, or even maybe a malus (5 damage per rank starting at -5 ?).

Cheers, Ivan :D

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: "Skill Applied" for Firearms? (Damage modifier)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:43:10 pm »
Already done in my Extended branch :)
All stats can affect damage, melee damge, accuracy range, accuracy melee etc.
Even more, this isn't binary yes/no, you can have sum of polynomial of one stat up to third degree.

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 10:05:24 pm »
Honestly I would shy away from ranged weapons doing extra damage due to skill. Maybe some bonus if you could work out a crit system but to add it to base damage would make all the weapons extremely op.

On the other hand having mele damage tied to strength makes sense in D&D and makes sense here as well.

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 10:10:35 pm »
Bow?? :>

And if bonus is 0.01 of some stat I hardly see it OP :D
Some kind of psi laser or sonic weapon form dune film.

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 11:53:49 am »
Instead of scaleable, constant mini-bonus I'd rather see a small modification to the damage roll table. First, let's make the game marginally easier by deciding that on an attack roll, if it's very very good (beating the difficulty step by a lot), you have, say, 2% chance of doubler damage (on top of the normal random). Then, we add a rule that as you go up in Accuracy, this 2% goes up, probably to around 20%. So every time you hit the enemy dead-centre (which will happen a lot with high-Accuracy people firing at short ranges), there's an additional roll to check if the target's life is even worse.

Alternatively we could limit this effect to Aimed shots, but make it more likely to happen.

Stat bonuses aside, this would place sniper rifles buck where they belong: experienced snipers, not rookies who need Accuracy training. (Though they still can do so.)

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 12:40:45 pm »
With extended version you can easy cripple usage of weapon with low skill level. Effective accuracy would be function of `final_acc = 1/100 * acc^2 + 20`.
For some low values you will not see any increase in accuracy, until around 50 it will fast graining effective.

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 05:53:44 pm »
I like the idea of critical hits, but right now there is no way to verify that you got a crit..

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 06:02:03 pm »
I like the idea of critical hits, but right now there is no way to verify that you got a crit..

Yeah, it would require new code, but the idea is pretty simplistic.

Since we're going overboard anyway, why not discuss Dodge too? it would be a chance to completely ignore the effects of a shot/melee, the projectile would simply pass through the unit. The Dodge roll would be against the shooter's Accuracy. :)

(Yeah, I really like Aftershock.)

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 10:55:32 pm »
Yeah, it would require new code, but the idea is pretty simplistic.

Since we're going overboard anyway, why not discuss Dodge too? it would be a chance to completely ignore the effects of a shot/melee, the projectile would simply pass through the unit. The Dodge roll would be against the shooter's Accuracy. :)

(Yeah, I really like Aftershock.)
I can made dodge of melee attack (this is "one" variable to change), to made range its lot of harder because hen you can test if you dodge bullet its already hit you and not easy to revert that. Altering hit chance will made wild effect like hitting your won people because you tried hit someone with 100% dodge. 60%-100% = -40% try hit something with that high accuracy :>

Offline GrandSirThebus

• Sergeant
  • Artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 12:32:05 am »
To follow suit with making crazy suggestions. I'd like to see bare handed attacks, as well as being able to push enemies around either by pushing them yourself or with explosives, or throwing weapons/corpses at enemies to damage them.
I, however can already see in my head how many headaches trying to get that to work would cause.