aliens

Author Topic: DOS versions of X-com music - Anyone want?  (Read 2728 times)

Offline kodan50

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
DOS versions of X-com music - Anyone want?
« on: January 16, 2015, 08:28:22 pm »
Howdy! A good time ago, I recorded the music of X-Com: UFO Defense and uploaded it to YouTube. It was my first recording, and it came out with a bit of background noise. I wouldn't mind re-recording it, but I was curious if anyone would actually be interested in the music files? I've gotten better at recording DOS music since I recorded them. Here is what I have as my setup:

An old DOS computer. It has DOS 7.10 installed, and an old ISA Sound Blaster AWE32 card. Drivers were a pain to get loaded, let me tell you.
X-COM: UFO DEFENSE CD. I also have the floppy editions and a manual with codes. Were the music tracks any different?
A recording computer using GoldWave to record the track, and I can also use it to record the static silence in order to filter out the background noise.

I'd release any files on here as FLAC to try and minimize any loss. Also, I know that Sound Blaster 16 sounds different, and that my card supports SB16 mode, but not if it sounds anything like the genuine article. I have both the AWE32 and SB16 tracks of GeoScape on my YouTube channel, if anyone can compare and give feedback. I'm not sure if it is okay to post a link to my channel, but my name on YT is the same as on here.

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
Re: DOS versions of X-com music - Anyone want?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:36:42 pm »
There is already an archive of all xcom1 tracks recorded with all possible sound fonts + XG + adlib. Recorded by Fenyo and me(adlib). + there is FM synth and music decoder in the engine. I'm not sure if anything else could be needed.
https://users.atw.hu/xcom-sounds/

Offline kodan50

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 08:51:04 pm »
Fair enough. It's interesting to hear the difference in how sound cards play music. My sound card doesn't seem to have certain audible depths as the ones on that page. Perhaps that would be remedied by a daughterboard wave card that attaches to it?

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 09:28:07 pm »
I think there were no tracks recorded with daughter board. I have db50xg myself but respective tracks from the page were recorded either with just sound font or with XG emulator.

I don't know how these SF tracks were recorded. Perhaps Fenyo applied some post effects.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:30:55 pm by volutar »