aliens

Author Topic: Suggestions (illustrated)  (Read 10175 times)

Offline SuperCaffeineDude

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • supercaffeinedude
Suggestions (illustrated)
« on: October 17, 2014, 12:34:58 am »
Really been enjoying xcom recently, looking forward to giving a lot of the mods a go (like the look of MiB and the Alloy Interceptor) and might look into modding myself if it isn't too tricky. But here's some stuff I was thinking...

The Bullpup is a light upgrade of the standard rifle that is bought.
The Gauss weapons are inaccurate slightly more powerful laz weapons.
The plasma weapons are made for humans allowing for greater accuracy.
The alloy shield is a one handed item that increases front facing armour.
The sonic blasters are a thematic change for sectoids, they can't be used by humans and deal great dmg up close, but dmg that is weaker over distances, also they are very light weight.
Armoured Sectoid. Though they might prefer otherwise sectoids can and will wear armour when the situation dictates it must be so, soldiers can clad themselves in their alien alloys though their movement becomes quite costly. 
The flamethrower is a fire vomiting device.
Standard Military Armour is means of added protection early game, however the weight can render it obsolete against most alien firearms.
MKII Power Armour: Enhances the trooper even more than the MK1, the Mk1 would receive a de-buff and become slower moving though perhaps with grater protection.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions (illustrated)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 12:43:52 am »
Some of what you are making examples of exists in various mods. I'll point to my personal Favorite so far of equal terms.

It has a spread of weapons across all three tech levels that are basically.

SMG
Shotgun
Assault Rifle
Marksman's Rifle
Sniper Rifle

There is also armor available for your troops from the get go that can be upgraded periodically with new research and materials. However, it sucks against plasma but gives a decent shot at survival against AP in a Blue on Blue psi raping.

Improved power armor is called a flying suit  ;)

and there are up armored Sectoids available in a few mods.... although they are not nearly as well done as this one being presented

Sonic is not a damage type currently supported by OXC, but damn so pretty.

Gauss would be pretty cool and I personally want a shield for doing breaches.

-HH

Offline cjones

• Captain
  • Happy bug hunting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 03:22:25 am »
Equal terms is cool.  Wish it had repairable armor tho.  Come to think of it I think there was a standalone mod for repairable armor.  Maybe I can mesh it with my equal terms install

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 04:15:16 am »
I would look for it in 2.5 or 3 honestly. KingMob has been swamped by the new HWPs and bug hunting.

-HH

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • supercaffeinedude
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 09:54:58 pm »
"equal terms", defiantly interested, annoyingly I seem to have trouble accessing the mod page, browser says the site's down (???)

"although they are not nearly as well done as this one being presented"
Cheers dude, I'm interested in mod making, but I'm not too sure how hard it is, would you say it's hard to make something like a stand alone sectoid mod?

I was thinking maybe divide the sectoids up into 3 parts, heavy soldier/vanilla/leader and give them reskined lazers or alternatively just plasma. (I edited my design a tad)

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 10:12:45 pm »
I'm interested in mod making, but I'm not too sure how hard it is, would you say it's hard to make something like a stand alone sectoid mod?

I was thinking maybe divide the sectoids up into 3 parts, heavy soldier/vanilla/leader and give them reskined lazers or alternatively just plasma. (I edited my design a tad)

Do it!  Not sure how comfortable you are with coding, but the rulesets are human readable and if you aren't trying anything too radical pretty easy to work with.  The other hard part is graphics and...

You seem to have a pretty good start on that!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 10:18:43 pm »
I would recommend downloading one of Robin's mods, either Gazer or Waspite. Both can be found here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2180.0

Just use it as a base for your work, change whatever needs changing and leave everything else as it is. It's not glorious, but it's the best way to make sure it'll work. (That's how I started anyway.)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 06:55:56 pm »
Nice graphics, I especially like Military Armor and human gauss weapons. Oh yeah, and modmaking is really easy in this game. Just study this: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Ruleset_Reference_%28OpenXcom%29#Terrains and check other people's mods.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 09:47:34 am »
Hello and welcome to the forums, I love those weapons, specifically the gauss weapons, would it be possible for you to make a little higher res version ;) i would love to include them as art work in what i am working on :)

And modding is not that difficult, i am a non-programmer and simple mods are ruleset based easy to create, like adding weapons

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • supercaffeinedude
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 06:08:47 am »
Cheers dudes, embarrassing on my end just cant seem to set everything up to get the ball rolling with the modding shiz.

Sure Xracer, if you send me a similar image to whatever res you'd like I'll try scale and neaten them up later this week.

Also I've been adjusting my suggestions/fan-art/stuff but need to take a look at the sprites I spoz...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 05:44:04 pm »
Very cool!

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • supercaffeinedude
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 11:53:59 pm »
Hope you don't mind spam, my thinking would be MAG armour unlocks with more research into something like "advanced power armor", the Disruptor Armor would unlock with the Grav Shield though perhaps not through the spaceship. 

I'll upres the Gauss now-ish.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 11:27:14 pm »
Hope you don't mind spam, my thinking would be MAG armour unlocks with more research into something like "advanced power armor", the Disruptor Armor would unlock with the Grav Shield though perhaps not through the spaceship. 

I'll upres the Gauss now-ish.

Are you making sprites.... I'm drooling looking at this armor... holy balls.

-HH

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 03:49:46 am »
Mag(Shield) Armour is something I have implemented in the XCom Armoury Expanded. If you are looking for someone to work on the rulesets and willing to develop sprites to go along with inventory images and/or Bigobs, I think we could do some cool stuff!

Your Mag Armour looks really good, and the disruptor one has a lot of potential! (seems a bit.. thin/small right now)