Author Topic: Ufopedia improvements  (Read 8282 times)

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Ufopedia improvements
« on: October 14, 2014, 11:30:39 pm »
Some additional information in the ufopedia would be useful:
1. Crafts: Add "Fuel Type" to the stats
2. Craft Weapons: Add "Ammo Capacity" to the stats
3. Weapons and especially armors: Add "Weight"
4. Melee Weapons: Add "Accuracy" and "Tu" like it is shown for firearms

Some technical improvements:
5. Add a slider for weapons with more than three ammunition types, so one can see all possible available types.
6. Allow the definition of keyboard shortcuts for "page forward", "page backward" and "ok"
7. When finishing a research project show ALL new ufopedia pages one after another.

and finally a feature from UFO APOCALYPSE I really miss in openXcom:
9. Right mouse click on an item in the inventory screen opens the ufopedia page for this item. Especially when I try some new mods I cannot remember immediately all the new stats. And with this feature this problem would never occur again.   

EDIT: some additional suggestions
10. An indicator that an item uses some stat to determine damage, usually strength. (Solarius Scorch)
11. Show 32 bit images unconverted in the ufopedia. Now, images with high color depth can be loaded, but they are automatically converted to the ufopedia palette. Is there any reason for this? I know that keeping the UFO palletes is necessary for geoscape and battlescape, because of the calculation for lighting. But there is no lighting in the ufopedia  ???.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:58:07 pm by clownagent »

Offline VSx86

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Ufopedia improvements
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 01:02:00 am »
Useful suggestions.
I'm sure that these abilities for displaying those additional stats will be added to OXC
(if no, try to talk Yankes about adding them to his OpenXcom Extended)  8)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 02:48:23 am »
I would also like an indicator that an item uses some stat to determine damage, usually strength.

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 04:21:30 am »
7)  This is manipulable depending on how they are discovered, I've done a lot of discovering different ways to make things not work as intended on the subject, along with getting it to tell you all the research options that have just been unlocked in the splash screen(like after Laser Weapons it tells you Laser Pistol is unlocked) they always show up in the list but I had to work thru several iterations where it wouldn't tell you you've unlocked topic X.

Would also like a way to separate the medics/engineers/navigators getOnefree list from the specific aliens.  For example:
Code: [Select]
  - name: STR_SECTOID_MEDIC

unlocks:      - STR_MEDIC_LIST #Unlocks STR_MEDIC_LIST, but even if you give the STR a cost: 0 or
don't give it a cost you need to spend one scientist day to trigger the get one free, it doesn't go away after you research it#

getOneFree:       - STR_MEDIC_LIST #Gives you STR_MEDIC_LIST as a completed topic but doesn't trigger the getOnefree and only works once#

- name: STR_MEDIC_LIST
   dependencies: STR_ALIEN_MEDIC #Making some secondary trigger dependency solves the cost: problem of unlocks: it but it only works once.#
   getOnefree:
      - STR_SNAKEMAN etc...

This would make adding entries for new aliens/UFOs/missions easier as you would only have to add it to one place, that way a sectoid medic will know all the same species as a Gazer medic will know all the same species as a medic from what ever new monstrosity people can come up with, with only one line in each ruleset, rather than having to make sure to have entries adding the new entry to every single appropriate alien.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:24:13 am by NoelBuddy »

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 02:32:10 pm »
1. Crafts: Add "Fuel Type" to the stats
Skyranger and Interceptor does not have name of "fuel", it's just fuel.
Quote from: clownagent
AFAIK, armor weights nothing (maybe I overlook ruleset, but...). And there unclear, what is the measured weight - in kilograms or pounds?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 02:44:50 pm »
Skyranger and Interceptor does not have name of "fuel", it's just fuel.AFAIK, armor weights nothing (maybe I overlook ruleset, but...).

Indeed vanilla armours weigh nothing. This is customizable though.

And there unclear, what is the measured weight - in kilograms or pounds?

It's measured, uh, in gollops. :)

But armour weight should IMHO not be measured in simple weight units, as it's way less encumbering than, say, a hand weapon of same weight.

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 06:37:09 pm »

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 07:01:46 pm »
Skyranger and Interceptor does not have name of "fuel", it's just fuel.

AFAIK, armor weights nothing (maybe I overlook ruleset, but...). And there unclear, what is the measured weight - in kilograms or pounds?

1. For the Skyranger and Interceptor there could be shown "Fuel type: standard fuel" and for the other crafts "Fuel type: Elerium 115"

3. According to the wiki: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Item_Weights
"Item weights are represented in Strength units. For example, an item of 18 weight units requires a bare minimum of 18 strength points for you to carry without suffering an encumbrance penalty on your TU refresh rate. "
If an armor weighs nothing it don't have to show up, but if an armor has weight defined (which is possible in the ruleset) then it should be shown similar to the possible stat modifications. 

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 07:48:19 pm »
https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/957 for 2 and 6 suggestions.

Wow, that was fast.  :)
Thanks a lot for your efforts.

For 6. it would be good to have also a keyboard shortcut for "ok" that is close the ufopeadia page.

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 08:08:49 pm »
Already implemented there. Press keyOk (Enter) or keyCancel (Esc) to close screen.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 08:17:42 pm »
Already implemented there. Press keyOk (Enter) or keyCancel (Esc) to close screen.

Great!

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 03:14:26 pm »
Some additional information in the ufopedia would be useful:
4. Melee Weapons: Add "Accuracy" and "Tu" like it is shown for firearms

Melee accuracy and TU:

Weight (and also description moved higher, if not all 3 types of shots are used):

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 03:15:11 pm »
Splendid!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 06:26:09 pm »
Very nice! Very, very nice! You're definitely the UI master!

One question though, I failed to figure out how to make use of the "auto-patrol" function, or even the "I'm ready to fly out again" one.. is there something to enable? Or a special hotkey not in the list of configurable hotkeys?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 07:22:25 pm »
One question though, I failed to figure out how to make use of the "auto-patrol" function, or even the "I'm ready to fly out again" one.. is there something to enable? Or a special hotkey not in the list of configurable hotkeys?

There is a small mod which enables it. You can download it in my main thread, second post.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.msg56463.html#msg56463