Author Topic: Odd Gender Ratios  (Read 20377 times)

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Gender Ratios
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 12:01:38 am »
Agreed, non of that here dammit! We just said sexist as a little joke.

I suspect that X-COMs creators thought to themselves "In the future, by year 2000, there will be computers that do your laundry from a payphone, flying skateboards, a black or female President/Prime-Minister, hand-held laser weapons, voice-controlled ATMs, computer-phones that fit in your back pocket and play movies, strawberries the size of apples, hot slutty women in elite combat forces, gas will cost $300/gal but cars will be electric anyway, and America will almost certainly have contacted at least one the advanced alien societies that must litter our galaxy. Oh, I bet there will be battery powered emergency flares too!"

Ya, we got the black President and smartphones a little late but the hot slutty Navy Seals are all a bunch of dudes and I'm just generally all around disappointed with our general progress as a species in the 90s. Good job Mom and Dad, where's my damn laser rifle!

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 12:03:21 am »
With gene splicing, anything is possible!

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 03:24:35 pm »
We can make the handheld laser powerful enough to kill; the real issue is dissipating the heat that it generates from running.

Offline zrau

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 05:03:03 pm »
default is 1:1, xcom1ruleset makes it 3:1, we're not gender biased, vanilla ruleset is.
these ratios can also be overridden by the .nam files, so recruits from the planet amazonia can have a 100% female ratio.

This is not possible. I tried it and it just crashes the game. It looks like a .nam requires names from both genders. Unless you figured out a different way of doing this.

Offline FLIR

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 10:05:46 pm »

Can women go on submarines?

Women are not currently assigned to submarine crews because of the very limited habitability and privacy onboard a submarine.

(Chief of Naval Operations Submarine Warfare Division; FAQ) [1]

I would like to have no female aquanauts in TFTD. Is it possible to ad this to the "standard" mod section? "No female aquanauts YES/NO"

[1]https://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/faq.html

niculinux

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 10:41:10 pm »
Something odd is going on, I am getting a really weird ratio of women to men. I'm getting around six women to one man. [...]

First time i played the game back in 2005 i rememner such thing, that i confirm yes it' different from xcom/ufo:eu, in the latter ratio was 3:1 or something similar. May be nice to have an option: use man woman xcom ratio yes/no, so i agree with whose suggested that. :)

also, seems that women are more prone to claustrophobia than men, and since most tftd are indoor...here'an article even on the new york times: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/science/claustrophobia-more-likely-in-women-than-men.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:46:53 pm by niculinux »

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 12:36:50 am »
Women are not currently assigned to submarine crews because of the very limited habitability and privacy onboard a submarine.
Funnily, you could use the same argument to disallow men in an all-women ship (Which is the case in the "Pirates" mod!)
And the reference site doesn't say anything about flying submarines.

More seriously, good news everyone : The same site shows there are quite a few female divers in the US army.
https://www.history.navy.mil/museums/keyport/WomenDivers/Wdivers1.htm
And here's a newsline from 7 days ago :
US Navy Seals plan to accept women after female soldiers graduate as rangers

Admiral says anyone meeting gender non-specific standards can join elite unit, days after two women successfully completed gruelling Army Ranger School
ref
TFTD takes place in an optimistic future. It's no longer 1950, so black soldiers are allowed and can sit in any ship of the Triton. FLIR, you are asking to apply gender discrimination in a game which takes place in 2040 ? Sorry but it's too unrealistic, it's anachronic.

Offline FLIR

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 01:09:13 pm »
TFTD takes place in an optimistic future. It's no longer 1950, so black soldiers are allowed and can sit in any ship of the Triton. FLIR, you are asking to apply gender discrimination in a game which takes place in 2040 ? Sorry but it's too unrealistic, it's anachronic.

TFTD takes place in an optimistic future? I always liked TFTD for its pessimstic, oppressive setting; but thats just my interpretation...

I was not "super serious" about the "no female aquanauts" statement (and my English is not good enough for elaborate argumentation), but it would be nice to have the option. In 2015 women are not allowed on u.s. navy submarines and there will be some reasons for it, because "discrimination" is not tolerated nowadays.

BTW: If "no female aquanauts" was an option, "no male aquanauts" should also be, so everybody can make up his own future 2040...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 01:29:58 pm »
[offtopic]The material reality of TFTD is firmly stuck around 1950, or perhaps even 1930, judging from how terror sites look like. The only post-WWII tech seems to be bikini suits. Plus everything is covered in trash.

Of course, such limits do not extend to military tech and presumably elites, hence flying subs and the like.[/offtopic]

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 03:38:56 pm »
TFTD takes place in an optimistic future? I always liked TFTD for its pessimstic, oppressive setting; but thats just my interpretation...
I also find the aquatic alien invasion very oppressive, but when I played, I was impressed at how the humanity was wisely acting :
An international task force gets created, so that there is an authority which can fly, fight, and requisition personal and land (build bases) anywhere on Earth. No single country or place is off-limit!
There is also the fact that scientists can invent a new weapon technology in a matter of days : If nobody had done it before, it means that for humanity, there was no need or demand for weapons!

niculinux

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 05:21:08 pm »
[...]
And here's a newsline from 7 days ago :TFTD takes place in an optimistic future. It's no longer 1950, so black soldiers are allowed and can sit in any ship of the Triton. FLIR, you are asking to apply gender discrimination in a game which takes place in 2040 ? Sorry but it's too unrealistic, it's anachronic.

Yep i missed the point!

[offtopic]The material reality of TFTD is firmly stuck around 1950, or perhaps even 1930, judging from how terror sites look like. The only post-WWII tech seems to be bikini suits. Plus everything is covered in trash.

Of course, such limits do not extend to military tech and presumably elites, hence flying subs and the like.[/offtopic]

Because now with some more mopdern tecnology it is possible explore the remote depth of oceans, discovering lost stuff!

Well in the end having an option would be nice, but not important. :)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 07:03:22 pm »
I always sack any recruits which has a suspiciously alien name. No I'm not racist, I'm wary of extraterrestrial infiltrators.
"Greetings fellow human, I am JOHN SMITH and I just joined this fine hive of earthlings. Can you give me a tour of the secret base? Where is the unguarded armory where you store explosives ?"

niculinux

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 08:59:43 pm »
I always sack any recruits which has a suspiciously alien name. No I'm not racist, I'm wary of extraterrestrial infiltrators.
"Greetings fellow human, I am JOHN SMITH and I just joined this fine hive of earthlings. Can you give me a tour of the secret base? Where is the unguarded armory where you store explosives ?"

??? What does it mean? A possible feature? No come one, that would make the game virtually unbeatable  ;D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 09:26:49 pm »
??? What does it mean? A possible feature? No come one, that would make the game virtually unbeatable  ;D

Well, today I read a suggestion that you could be able to recruit MiBs and hybrids... I dunno who would do something that crazy though. :)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 09:46:53 pm »
Openxcom was even allowing human clones to enlist, until a "bugfix" stopped the practice one year ago.