aliens

Author Topic: [Equipment] Electro Shocker  (Read 6484 times)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
[Equipment] Electro Shocker
« on: October 06, 2014, 11:30:39 am »
A replacer for the default Stun-Rod. Smaller, less weight, better lookin'  ;D

link: https://www.openxcom.com/mod/electro-shocker

Electro Shocker Mod (replaces Stun-Rod with small hand-held device)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a small (actually tiny) mod that I made as I never liked the unnecessarily big (default) XCom Stun-Rod.
It replaces it with a hand-held Electro-Shocker. The stats are identical with the exception of size (1x1 instead of 1x3) and weight (3 instead of 6).
And the weapon is now a TRUE one-hand weapon unlike the rod, which was a 2-hand weapon even though it didn't act like one.

The mod comes with new icon, new hand-object graphics and new name.

Installation:
----------------

Place the data folder from the zip into your OpenXcom folder. Enable the Mod in the game options, its name is WeaponElectroShocker. Done.

Happy hunting!
---------------------

Made by civilian (aka new-civilian) in October 2014. Feel free to use these files in any way you see fit.

p.s.: The icon graphics are a compromise between realism and XCom style, limited by the fact that the object is REALLY tiny and hard to see. If you have a better icon and want to share it, please post it in the thread for us others, thanks!
I worked really long and hard on the graphics (I still can't believe how long!), but there is only so much one can do with a ~8x8 pixel sized icon in a 256-color palette.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:36:09 am by new_civilian »

Offline Xeno Wiper

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: (Equipment) Electro Shocker
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 10:26:19 am »
Ah, the simple yet great mods. My exact thoughts on stun rods.

Go on! ;)

Note: The graphics are cool enough to me.  :)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 12:16:23 pm »
Thanks Xeno Wiper! I tried to make it have a similar style like the new Shadic armors and the Personal Amor variant mods. Thats why I did not use black/grey colors but that darkblueish pallette.

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:55:21 pm »
 I think it would be nice to have this device and the original X-Com Stun Rod coexist toghether... For example, the shocker can take the original, close range stunning role (being more compact, and may be lower powered) and to keep the stun rod as a "heavy" stunning tool with higher power, and if possible to give some stand-off range (may be 2?) Anyone knows if the stun rod can be turned into a ranged weapon? May be it will not be a melee weapon but give ranged (limited) ammo with stun damage?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 10:03:13 pm »
I think it would be nice to have this device and the original X-Com Stun Rod coexist toghether... For example, the shocker can take the original, close range stunning role (being more compact, and may be lower powered) and to keep the stun rod as a "heavy" stunning tool with higher power, and if possible to give some stand-off range (may be 2?) Anyone knows if the stun rod can be turned into a ranged weapon? May be it will not be a melee weapon but give ranged (limited) ammo with stun damage?

There is a "Tazer" mod that does this already.  I have the one I am using, configured for 5 tile range.

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline Infini

• Colonel
  • Alien French Translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 12:14:50 am »
I never liked the unnecessarily big (default) XCom Stun-Rod.

ME TOO!  >:(

Thank you!

As a reward, here's the French translation:

Code: [Select]
  - type: fr
    strings:
      STR_STUN_ROD: "Poing Électrique"

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 11:17:51 am »
There is a "Tazer" mod that does this already.  I have the one I am using, configured for 5 tile range.

Cheers, Ivan :D

Exactly. That's why I decided to make a replacer mod.

Poing Electrique? Sounds funny  ;D Anyway, thanks for the translation.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:19:25 am by new_civilian »