aliens

Author Topic: [MAPS] X-Com Base Overhaul  (Read 7410 times)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
[MAPS] X-Com Base Overhaul
« on: October 12, 2014, 05:08:18 pm »
X-Com Base Overhaul v.1.0

This mod makes some small changes to the X-Com Base:

1. It changes the look of the hangar ground VERY slightly (only 4 tiles each changed in 4 map-files).
2. It adds a door to the lower workshop area.
3. It changes the base walls/floors to a more military looking grey color and adds some "historically correct" green monochrome text to the computer monitors. The "text" is not animated, so do not expect a blinking cursor ;-D

The first and third changes were made because i thought the hangar texture looks a bit too bland and after ~15 years of playing the same maps I simply edited them VERY slightly.
This is purely cosmetic, so do not expect any other changes. 

The second change adds a door to the lower workshop area. I placed it there to add some more tactical possibilities to the rather open (meaning: door-less) X-Com-base maps.
It is not a big change and if the workshop is not connected on the north side the door just adds some walk-in closet room, but if the workshop is connected to the north then you will have a small additional safety feature in your base. A nice place to lay some proxy-mines. And always remember to not drop those mines directly at the door but 1 field behind it, otherwise the door will trigger the blast and not the alien!

Side-note: I highly recommend to also use the ImprovedLivingQuarters mod found on the OpenXcom.org forums, it adds some new base facilities It is a very good mod with excellent graphics and game value. I am not sure who made it as there's no read-me in those files... The new color automatically works for that mod, too.

-------------------------------------

Tip: If you don't want the additional door just delete the XBASE_03.MAP and XBASE_03.RMP from my mod's folders before installing it.

To install the mod simply drop the DATA folder from the zip into your game directory.
To uninstall the mod and revert to the default look copy over the files from the BACKUP folder which I included in case you do not like the new look.

-------------------------------------

Speaking of mod installations: I recommend you to use JSGME, a generic freeware mod enabler, it allows you to dis/en-able mods without harming the original game files.
I am using the (very simple) tool for years now and it works flawlessly and is a big help, especially for modders when testing things. JSGME stands for JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler btw.

------

Made  by civilian (aka new_civilian), released in October 2014. Feel free to use this files in any way you see fit.

p.s.: The civilians in the base in the screen-shot are originally not part of this mod. They were from a small test I made and I can tell you one thing: They are TRULY annoying on base defenses, triggering your proxy-mine traps, blocking your tanks and your firing paths. Lots of fun actually, so I added the civilians-mod in the mod-options folder in case you want to try.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:36:27 am by new_civilian »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: (MAPS) X-Com Base Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 02:37:45 pm »
Looks quite awesome at a first glance, but it's hard to tell exactly through these horrible depixellating filters :) And I believe it ain't a huge stretch to find out that the improved living quarters thread author, aka myself, is also the author of said mod :P

Also you could use scientists and engineers for in-base civilians (I believe it was Warboy who made them, but only in .pck form, ready spritesheets and even inventory/corpse pictures can be found inside my Piratez mod if you dig deep enough).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:44:11 pm by Dioxine »

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 04:33:00 pm »
To my excuse I have to say I was offline when I wrote the readme and there is no readme in the LQ mod zip file  ;D

Anyway: Everyone : Go use Dioxine's LivingQuarters mod, it is awesome, no two ways about it!  :)
About the scientists: I remember having problems with the PCK files, have to check your files instead, thx.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:48:10 pm »
Speaking of mod installations: I recommend you to use JSGME, a generic freeware mod enabler, it allows you to dis/en-able mods without harming the original game files.

It's even better if modders always rename any original files that have been modified. This also helps a lot for compatibility between mods.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 04:20:19 pm »
Yes, true but sadly I couldn't get the new map to appear then, unlike for Dioxine adding/editing base facilities doesn't work for me, so I went for the second best solution.  ::)
If it would you could bet that I would make more base mods, right now no new facility map appears OR in its place is the unmodified one OR even worse: The access lift. Or even worse than that: nothing and the base facilities are unconnected.

However: Every help is welcome, so maybe you could update the ruleset for me?   :-[

It's the same with new craft icons (for the base view), I can follow all the things that other modders do and do not have success with them, they don't appear...  Some things don't work for me when modding OpenXcom...

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:50:56 pm »
You're probably forgetting to add your new maps to Terrains: section of the ruleset, that what's I'm usually missing ;)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 12:25:20 pm »
No, i added those, it simply doesn't work for me. I guess I am more an equipment and unit modder  :D