Author Topic: SPACEBALLS The Mod v. 0.6 and other madness  (Read 6447 times)

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
SPACEBALLS The Mod v. 0.6 and other madness
« on: September 25, 2014, 05:46:56 pm »
Hi everybody!

So, I am working on a larger mod pack with a few modest goals to extend the game...  I'd like to balance the weapons so by mid game you have viable arsenal and from that point forward no weapon makes the others obsolete but rather expands your tactical options.  I would like to stretch out the time where new races are introduced and give each one a time to shine and flesh out it's back story.  I'd like to make research a thing where you study subjects and then get the tech as you finish all the relevant subjects, and add more reward/requirement to research autopsies and live interrogations.

In the meantime, I have been working a lot on sprite sheets and wanted to share what I've finished so far.

What's here:

- Sprite sheets to replace your unarmored and personal armor wearing troops in the battle scape
- Name files so your new recruits will be named after characters in the movie

What's to be added:

- Inventory screens
- Name translations (if anyone is willing to do this I would be very happy, I am only qualified to do the English versions and what I could get from the subtitles.)
- weapon sprites (Space ball rifles and pistols, maybe SPACEBALLS The Flamethrower, no plans yet for Shwartz swords)
- Dark Helmet
- Winnebago mod for the skyranger

EDIT 1: added weapons I'm working on explanation below
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:44:33 am by NoelBuddy »

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: SPACEBALLS The Mod v. 0.6
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:30:17 pm »
Hey, I like the name files  ;D.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 03:35:38 am »
Cool sprites :)

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 10:07:45 pm »
Spaceball looool. Put the password to zip. 12345
In spain the second name is estupido. Cretino no

Pd estoy rodeado de estupidos.....
Enviado desde mi LG-D802 mediante Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:15:21 pm by arrakis69ct »

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
  • Making no sense since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 06:29:01 am »
"I knew it! I'm surrounded by Rookies!"

+1 to this mod.

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 07:13:29 pm »
Put the password to zip. 12345

lol, good idea.

In spain the second name is estupido. Cretino no

Pd estoy rodeado de estupidos.....

Huh, what does Cretino translate to?  That's what the subtitles on my DVD had.  For the longest time I thought the English version was moron because that's what the TV edit was(asshole was too risque a word for television at the time), which is what I would translate estupido to in my understanding of Spanish.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 01:27:19 am »
Huh, what does Cretino translate to?  That's what the subtitles on my DVD had.  For the longest time I thought the English version was moron because that's what the TV edit was(asshole was too risque a word for television at the time), which is what I would translate estupido to in my understanding of Spanish.

Depending on the context, it can be translated as any of the terms you mentioned.

Offline essohbe

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 06:52:22 am »
LOL. Do it! Make the cydonia mission that you have to blow up the giant vaccum cleaning lady in space before she sucks all of the air off the planet.

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
  • Making no sense since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 04:46:58 pm »
LOL. Do it! Make the cydonia mission that you have to blow up the giant vaccum cleaning lady in space before she sucks all of the air off the planet.

or a 10-stage mission through the huge starship version of the giant cleaning lady because it is so ridiculously huge!

</exaggeratedSarcasm>

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 09:39:04 pm »
No. The final mission is conquer the planet of the apes

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: SPACEBALLS The Mod v. 0.6 and other madness
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 05:12:20 am »
I have been working on a bit of rebalancing in an effort to integrate magnetic projectile weapons and in preperation for further weapon ideas. I like the theory followed by games like DOOM and HALO in that no weapon is ever rendered obsolete, you can use a pistol at any point in the game and it's still effective if you use it right sort of thing.  With xcom the opening phase of being outclassed by alien weaponry is one of the best parts so I don't want to expand the mundane weapon set too much, but once you have a few research topics done I'd like the weapons to be balanced, not OP but each having a useful niche depending on your strategy.

I split the opening tech tree between magnetic guns and lasers so you get one branch(randomly decided after one research project) at the start and the other becomes available once you've researched a plasma weapon.  The reasoning being: instead of "Laser Weapons" you have a piece of whatever solid evidence they had to convince the council to form Xcom, it gives you either energy beams or magnetic field tech, plasma weapons are energy beams controlled by magnetic fields...

So giving each a niche:
Plasma, best overall snap shot weapons it what the aliens use most so their weapons should reflect it.

Lasers: most accurate, you may be fast enough to dodge a bullet but can you doge light?

Gauss: Rapid fire
Railguns: Raw power
I figure here is one of the homefield advantages, humans can use bulky heavy ammunition because they don't have to worry about weight and space issues that it would present an inter galactic army

So here's what I have so far, I think I may have nerfed H.Plasma too much and the Rail pistol may be too accurate at range but I would like some feedback from people with different play styles.  Also included is new sprites for Gauss/Rail weapons.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 05:21:36 am by NoelBuddy »