Author Topic: The X-Com Files (FMP+)  (Read 64415 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: New megaproject, working name: FMP+
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2015, 07:06:41 pm »
These look like some sort of kung fu monks :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2015, 07:30:06 pm »
These look like some sort of kung fu monks :)

That's because they are some sort of kung fu monks!

But they also have these:

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2015, 09:15:04 pm »
Hmm... skirt and shoes should be black :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2015, 10:44:37 pm »
Hmm... skirt and shoes should be black :)

Yeah, I know improvements are necessary, but first I want to keep the "one faction per day" output. :) But good call.

EDIT: Great, now I'm knee-deep in Cthulhu Mythos.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 06:23:07 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2015, 05:28:46 pm »
I like the look of that tentacly/ethereal creature!  :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2016, 05:50:17 pm »
Thanks for the interest, everyone! I wasn't active much lately, because I was modding. ;) I got Dioxine to help me with mission scripting and he's doing a wonderful job, but it's still far from finished; let's just say for now that cultists spawn where they should.

We also worked on the paperdolls. Here's an updated gallery, with the new stormtrooper armour from XOps (helmet was drawn by Dioxine) and some new faces, on the same armour and on the power suit:

There will be more faces coming! :)

EDIT: More faces have arrived, updating the picture. Thanks to Dioxine for immense help.

Also a little teaser:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:52:26 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2016, 06:16:18 pm »
EDIT: More faces have arrived, updating the picture. Thanks to Dioxine for immense help.
Also a little teaser:

I don't really get the point of the image in the Personal Protection 'pedia entry.  It doesn't look like an armored vest to me, just a bearded guy.  Is he supposed to be the Quartermaster?  If so, thats kinda cool if your entries that are just unlocks and don't give info for an item/etc directly, look like a report from various characters on your base.  Quartermaster, Ground Crew Chief (Hangars : Craft Weapons tiers etc), Research Director, Alien Containment Warden, etc.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2016, 06:55:48 pm »
I don't really get the point of the image in the Personal Protection 'pedia entry.  It doesn't look like an armored vest to me, just a bearded guy.  Is he supposed to be the Quartermaster?  If so, thats kinda cool if your entries that are just unlocks and don't give info for an item/etc directly, look like a report from various characters on your base.  Quartermaster, Ground Crew Chief (Hangars : Craft Weapons tiers etc), Research Director, Alien Containment Warden, etc.

Correct! He's the Quartermaster. Here's his first appearance:

And yes, there are other members on your team; some of them from the beginning, some you'll have to recruit. Expect Stargateness when it comes to the NPC cast. :)

(I know the picture itself is not that great at the moment, I'll think how to make it more presentable - add a frame or something. Suggestions are welcome.)

EDIT: And here's the introduction to our Chief Medical Officer.

(I know these texts are unpolished, but quick tests are quick; I'll work on it.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:00:55 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2016, 07:02:56 pm »
Actually, the image is really good in that context.    Hmmm... the only thing that might be cool is custom backgrounds for the different characters, representative of where they work.  Something as simple as different colors for each section, and just that color in the background might work.  I realize there's not a lot of pixel space over the shoulders of these characters, so Having a hangar in the background, etc, may not work. A different Option might be to include the Title of the character in the image.  Or maybe a 2-3 letter Designation, QM, ENG, SCI, etc. if the Title is too long otherwise.   Anyway, just brainstorming here. :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2016, 07:11:48 pm »
Actually, the image is really good in that context.    Hmmm... the only thing that might be cool is custom backgrounds for the different characters, representative of where they work.  Something as simple as different colors for each section, and just that color in the background might work.  I realize there's not a lot of pixel space over the shoulders of these characters, so Having a hangar in the background, etc, may not work. A different Option might be to include the Title of the character in the image.  Or maybe a 2-3 letter Designation, QM, ENG, SCI, etc. if the Title is too long otherwise.   Anyway, just brainstorming here. :)

Yeah, job-related backgrounds are something I've considered myself. I think the pixel count will allow for this, I just need to find a suitable picture and give it a try. Maybe also some desk on the first plane so that they wouldn't be just standing there awkwardly, but I'm not sure about this one.

Adding titles would be good, but I don't want to go there because translations. But maybe some sort of symbol? Hmm...

Offline Ryskeliini

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2016, 08:53:33 pm »
How 'bout....

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2016, 12:30:45 am »
It certainly keeps the 90's feel. :D

But while it doesn't look bad, I think it clashes with X-Com graphics a bit too much. It is tempting though.

EDIT: I'm working on new Reptoids, more fitting with the "alien CIA" trope. Hopefully no more red Tasoths to fulfil that role, since I want actual Tasoths in the game.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2016, 01:31:53 am »
Lizard men. In business suits. With tails. I have no words, this outdoes everything I've seen here :)

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2016, 01:48:42 pm »
if you want testers.... and spanish trans..... in a future send me a private XD...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2016, 06:39:01 pm »
if you want testers.... and spanish trans..... in a future send me a private XD...

Thanks, but it's still quite a way to go. I would like to release it ASAP, even if it's unpolished or just bare bones, but I still need to add lots and lots of content to get to the bare minimum. Plus I need to wait for OXCE update, since I need some features from the nightlies that aren't in OXCE yet.

But sure, I'll appreciate help when it happens.