aliens

Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] [GLOBE] DUNE - Desert world 0.28  (Read 116075 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] [GLOBE] DUNE - Desert world 0.17
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2016, 04:51:28 am »
Just had a look. The landform detail on Geoscape is impressive, great work there.

I used your desert textures for version 0.9 of Area 51 when I redid the Geoscape a while ago :)

For the regions/countries, I think the best solution might be to make the country simply the name of the sietch located there. Probably reduce the area of the country, or have separate areas for each country. For instance, on my mod, country UK includes not only the British Isles but also the Falklands. So Sietch Tabar would have a central area around the 'city' and then smaller outposts spread around it, representing windfarms, spice fields, rocky areas, etc. And you could actually create terrains for those and set the textures to use those terrains. And even create missions like Harkonnens stealing spice, water, etc.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 05:05:03 am by Hobbes »

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2016, 09:26:24 pm »
Just had a look. The landform detail on Geoscape is impressive, great work there.
Many hours with Falko's world editor made it possible  :)

For the regions/countries, I think the best solution might be to make the country simply the name of the sietch located there. Probably reduce the area of the country, or have separate areas for each country. For instance, on my mod, country UK includes not only the British Isles but also the Falklands. So Sietch Tabar would have a central area around the 'city' and then smaller outposts spread around it, representing windfarms, spice fields, rocky areas, etc. And you could actually create terrains for those and set the textures to use those terrains. And even create missions like Harkonnens stealing spice, water, etc.

Yes, I gave countries the same name as the sietch and in parentheses the region name.
The problem is that there are no extra labels for regions possible. In normal Xcom it is not a problem, because everybody recognizes the regions "Africa" or "Australia" immediatly. But regions like "funeral plane" are not identifyable on the desert plane without label. So using the charts on enemy activity would be very difficult without region names.

A more detailed planet with more countries would be good indeed. I also like the special mission like in the "Area 51" mod.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2016, 11:08:03 pm »
Many hours with Falko's world editor made it possible  :)

Have you tried Volutar's? To me it's easier with it but it's just a personal preference

Yes, I gave countries the same name as the sietch and in parentheses the region name.
The problem is that there are no extra labels for regions possible. In normal Xcom it is not a problem, because everybody recognizes the regions "Africa" or "Australia" immediatly. But regions like "funeral plane" are not identifyable on the desert plane without label. So using the charts on enemy activity would be very difficult without region names.

A more detailed planet with more countries would be good indeed. I also like the special mission like in the "Area 51" mod.

Last night I spent some time listening to the music (great selection btw, it's very hypnotic) and looking at the globe, trying to come up with an easier solution. Even ended up looking at maps of Arrakis and actually realized that I'd have designed the landforms in a different way since I imagined them differently. But the core issue behind all of this is what you can do with the OXC engine vs. the Dune universe, and starting from the top, there's the storyline which affects things like the cities, missions, etc. So here's a few ideas I had last night that might be interesting or not
* Carthag, Arrakeen and any other cities would be marked but only used for special missions (assassinate Harkonnen Leader, steal spice, etc.)
* Sietches would be countries, but the actual location of the sietch would not be displayed on the map since Fremen are nomadic people, so they have several locations where to set camp and they like to keep those locations a secret, even from other sietches, for security reasons. Terror missions could take place in different locations
* Are you thinking of adding Atreides? Now that armed civilians are possible, you could set them as a 3rd party during a battle, although they will shoot at your units during reaction fire (but not while the AI is moving them)
* If Atreides (and Paul) aren't added, you could also add a 'Lisan al-Gaib' or 'Kwisatz Haderach' unit for the Fremen that to create it would require retrieving Water of Life. The Fremen already had that prophecy implanted by the Bene Gesserit, and it would make sense for one of their leaders to play the religious crusade card by researching the Missionary Protectiva. And actually you could give the whole mod a more 'messianic' or superstitious tone in the text used for UFOPedia, etc.
* Bases could simply be Harkonnen outposts in the desert (actually, better on rock, otherwise worms would eat them). Then Harkonnen could get bigger bases as time went by

I'll stop here. I hope this is useful :)

Offline GrossorMD

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2016, 09:04:05 pm »
May I suggest adding the Prologue theme to the soundtrack? It's always been one of my favorites :p

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] [GLOBE] DUNE - Desert world 0.18
« Reply #169 on: September 12, 2016, 01:15:13 am »
New version uploaded (now with OXCE+ exe from Yankes and Meridian)

https://www.mediafire.com/download/vagiwpgl8y0m22y/OpenXcom_LandofSand_0.18.zip

Ver 0.18
- Added intro slideshow
- Added ufopedia planet informations
- Added wavy desert (from XOps)
- Added Sardaukar terror unit
- Small manufacture and research changes
- Added spotter team as craft
- Change to OXCOME+ EXE from Yankes and Meridian

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2016, 09:09:19 pm »
Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_HARKONNEN_BLOOD_DOG
    size: 0.0
    recover: true
    liveAlien: true
    costSell: 4000

...should be STR_HARKONNEN_BLOODDOG, without extra underscore, so that live blood dogs can be recovered.

PS: OXCE+ please, not OXCOME+

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2016, 10:36:18 pm »
PS: OXCE+ please, not OXCOME+

I think OXCOME is a very catchy name... If you know what I mean :)

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] [GLOBE] DUNE - Desert world 0.19
« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2016, 01:02:31 am »
Uploaded slightly modified version:

Download link:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/1t022dwo5br5cau/OpenXcom_LandofSand_0.19.zip

Ver.0.19
- Updated OXCE+ EXE
- Updated some Ufopedia images with new palette
- Fixed an error with life bloodhound capture (thanks to Meridian)
- Added a spice harvester mission (Harvester map from Dioxine's Piratez mod)

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] [GLOBE] DUNE - Desert world 0.20
« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2016, 12:08:44 am »
Uploaded an updated mod version:

Download with music and executable (~ 35 mb) from:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/tzfftew088i5iig/OpenXcom_LandofSand_0.20.zip

Changelog:
Ver.0.20
- Updated OXCE+ EXE
- Added Spacing Guild as faction. (Units are from robin's Apocalypse mod and Tollworkout's Antman mod)
- Updated Ufopedia
- Exchange some item graphics from robin's apocalypse mod (Rifle, Pistol, Launcher, Glowglobe, high explosive)
- New items: Kindjal, Tech guns, cutter ammo (graphics from XOps and dioxine)
- Small graphics fixes
- Added stun and wounded indicators from Piratez mod
- Removed timer from most grenades
- Added Harkonnen Slave as unit
- fix a bug with melee weapons (clipsize -1)

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] [GLOBE] DUNE - Desert world 0.21
« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2016, 01:26:37 pm »
New Version 0.21 available:

Download with music and executable (~ 40 mb) from:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ckk1f3znqeyaa13/OpenXcom_LandofSand_0.21.zip

Changelog:
Ver.0.21
- New Enemies: Smuggler Thug, Smuggler Rogue, Smuggler Drone
- New Items: Taijur Bomb
- Added more cities on globe
- Cleaned up ufo interception images
- Revised mission zones and mission scripts

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] [GLOBE] DUNE - Desert world 0.22
« Reply #175 on: January 01, 2017, 05:51:13 pm »
Updated version uploaded:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/0qysaoxvb772bzq/OpenXcom_LandofSand_0.22.zip

Changelog:
Ver. 0.22
- Added region labels (thanks to Meridian)
- Revised research and ufopedia entries
- Changed visibility at night
- Revised Drifter map

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 01, 2017, 09:21:16 pm »
Very interesting.
Can i suggest something? Fremen do not use heavy armo, yes, but no sources (i mean books) forbid them to use hi-tech additions to their equipment, so you can add a variety of advanced stillsuits, like night vision, tleilaxu synth muscules or ix jumppack. Because armors is the important part of xcom. ;-)

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 02, 2017, 09:43:06 am »
Very interesting.
Can i suggest something? Fremen do not use heavy armo, yes, but no sources (i mean books) forbid them to use hi-tech additions to their equipment, so you can add a variety of advanced stillsuits, like night vision, tleilaxu synth muscules or ix jumppack. Because armors is the important part of xcom. ;-)

True, more different armors is one of the features still missing. Camo and night vision would be indeed very fitting.
It is on my to-do list.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] [GLOBE] DUNE - Desert world 0.23
« Reply #178 on: March 04, 2017, 07:03:21 pm »
Updated version uploaded:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/zi37kse5d0laei7/OpenXcom_LandofSand_0.23.zip

Changelog:
Ver. 0.23
- Added two Sardaukar ships (graphics from XOps)
- Updated mission scripts
- Added items: Spear, javelins (from PirateZ)
- Fixed some smaller issues

Offline The Think Tank

• Captain
  • "If we can't see them, they can't see us!" - Rook
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] [GLOBE] DUNE - Desert world 0.23
« Reply #179 on: March 22, 2017, 10:43:19 pm »
Yay!