Author Topic: [CRAFT] AWACS Aircraft  (Read 28672 times)

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [CRAFT] AWACS Aircraft
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2014, 02:43:33 pm »
The Hawkeye is so pretty :) The other sprites are top notch too, but I think the Hawkeye is the first propeller plane ever seen in XCom :)

Next will be zeppelin

May be ;)

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2014, 02:45:46 pm »
Awesome! I am using the 1.0 version (atm) and I really like it, have to test 1.2 right away!

1.2 much better because dramatically reduces micromanagement of aircrafts in mid and late game.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2014, 11:14:33 am »
And it has nice graphics to go with that!  :)

Offline Hollow_Fang

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 07:39:14 am »
Since these are based on exsisting tech they should still be slower than the Skyranger as that is a global effort.

Halve the speed of the AWACS and 1/3 the hawk eye
as well as half the price of the Skyranger since again it's at the moment of it's creation the most advanced aircraft capable of radar and troop transport.
If possible can you make standard air craft and standard of modern day.

Craft idea's

[ Lockheed C-5 Galaxy ]
Maximum Speed: 572 mph
Maximum Range: 6,468 miles

Only for goods transport no radar, troops or guns. used to transport goods from one base to another.
so then transfer has to have a hanger with craft

[ F/A-18 Hornet ]

Hardpoints:
1 x 20mm M61 Vulcan six-barreled, Gatling-type internal cannon at nose.
2 x AIM-9 Sidewinder short-range air-to-air missiles on wingtip launchers.

speed 1,190 mph

Small radar 1/20th of the interceptor

1/5 the speed and can only equip stranded weapons that do less than the current in game 
stranded aircraft guns

[ MiG-29 (Fulcrum) ]
Hardpoints:
1 x 30mm GSh-30-1 internal cannon
2 x AA-10
Maximum Range: 889 miles (1,430km)
Speed  1,519 mph

[ Predator Unmanned Aerial Vehicle ]
(item for air strike while in mission)

Hardpoints:
2 x AGM-114 Hellfire laser-guided anti-tank missiles
OR
2 x AIM-92 Stinger short-ranged anti-aircraft missile.(if used for aircombat to say defend a base )
Maximum Range:454 miles
Speed 135 mph

An item to put in the sky ranger to  launch a hellfire missile that does equal to the alien launch in damage and needs no line of sight and can only carry one counts as a HWP

Also if a hanger could hold more than one vehicle would make more sense.

Super Stallion

No radar just for Short rang missions carrys 1 HWP and 6 crew and 10 cargo or so

[ Spy Satellite ]
Takes up a cube at base and provides a small constant Nigera sized radar ring with decent percent  of detection
and moves super slow like 1-5 inch a day requires no fuel

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 03:45:27 pm »
[ Spy Satellite ]
Takes up a cube at base and provides a small constant Nigera sized radar ring with decent percent  of detection
and moves super slow like 1-5 inch a day requires no fuel

That kind of movement is possible for a sat but it makes no sense for a recon bird. Recon sats (picture/radar) are located on low orbit and they move faster than Earth's rotation thus during a single day they do several orbits around Earth, like the International Space Station:

This is due to the laws of physics: the closer you are to Earth the more gravity affects you, but you can counter gravity by moving fast (this is called the gyroscopic effect). Spy sats need to be close to Earth to look/search better for small objects and thus they need to move fast otherwise gravity will quickly bring them down.

For a sat to be permanently above a region, as you describe, its speed needs to match Earth's rotation, and thus needs to be placed in a higher orbit so that gravity doesn't affect it as much as in a lower orbit.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 03:47:09 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Hollow_Fang

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2015, 06:38:52 am »
Or we could just not go hyper realistic and make a cool new feature.  :P

Offline SDEDEN

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2015, 05:00:12 am »
I think I recall in the old UFO: Extender that there was an option to get a pop-up on the Geoscape whenever a craft was ready to launch. I bring it up here because that would be very useful when you've got various AWACS you have to use for your radars.

By the way, I love this mod. I actually makes you use the Graphs to sniff out where to patrol. Makes you take a more pro-active approach.