aliens

Author Topic: Testing out Transifex, new localization website  (Read 14636 times)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Testing out Transifex, new localization website
« on: September 17, 2014, 06:18:00 am »
So we've used GetLocalization for an year now... time for a change. :P Now that text has been nice and stable is a good time to go trying out new things, so we're gonna check out Transifex.

Main complaint about GL has been the fact that it's a democracy... people vote for translations, most-voted is used, and that's that. And the bigger translation teams have a hard time coming to a consensus like that. Transifex instead uses dictatorship :P every user has their role, you have a strict hierarchy you must respect, so while it's more effective it's gonna take more dedication from you guys!

Basically users are broken up into languages. For each language, there are Translators, which are allowed to suggest/vote/comment translations. Above them are the Reviewers, which can pick, edit and effectively "lock" translations, finalizing a given string. Finally at the top are the Coordinators, who accept/reject users, control their roles, etc. More info here: https://docs.transifex.com/faq/#transifexs-roles

Other cool things compared to GL:
- Looks shiny.
- Search and filters that actually work.
- Better editor with support for plurals, comparing translations, comparing languages, validating tags, etc.
- Notifications that don't spam your inbox.
- Translators can download/upload files themselves, submit multiple suggestions, vote for multiple suggestions, and total votes are actually shown.
- More features for translators to organize themselves like comments/forums/glossary/history/etc.
- And so on.

Anyways I've set up a sample project here: https://www.transifex.com/organization/openxcom/
So feel free to sign up, test everything and goof around to get a feel for the place. There's more info on the editor here: https://docs.transifex.com/guides/txeditor

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Testing out Transifex, new localization website
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 06:24:14 am »
- Looks shiny.

Yes!!!!!! shiny!!!!! i vote yes!!

This is a democracy right??

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 11:54:45 am »
Nope, it's a dictatorship. I choose (for everyone) the Yes answer :P

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:07:50 pm »
hard to determine with the small dataset
my main problem with getlocalisation were filter search functionality but with 16 entries i cant really test my issues and say yes/no to it
but its anice integration of "select2" - dropdownfields so .. shiny! :)

Offline joedalton

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 05:47:32 pm »
Has tryed to request danish, but nothing happens then i try to push the Request language button. Perhaps its a Explorer 9 issue. Firefox made it work.
+1 to move to Transifex.

bye
Joe
(Danish)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 08:10:07 pm by joedalton »

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 09:17:20 am »
There also Glossary feature, that really great for consolidation of translation terms. Check it out, it's really great feature.

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 01:21:09 am »
i can translate to spanish. i wait for them

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 06:59:30 pm »
Ok I'm starting to migrate the translations to https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/openxcom/
You can sign up now if you want (I suggest starting as Translators until your team comes to a consensus on who should be Reviewers/Managers), but don't touch the translations until the old GetLocalization strings are moved over, or they'll get overwritten.
If you have any special requests like not wanting the old translations or something let me know.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 07:23:31 pm »
Thanks, Sup. I'm sure this is a step in the right direction.

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 11:07:50 pm »
Ok I'm starting to migrate the translations to https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/openxcom/
You can sign up now if you want (I suggest starting as Translators until your team comes to a consensus on who should be Reviewers/Managers), but don't touch the translations until the old GetLocalization strings are moved over, or they'll get overwritten.
If you have any special requests like not wanting the old translations or something let me know.
Solicitude send to spanish trans

I see is the original trans. How is the finality of this project??

Enviado desde mi LG-D802 mediante Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:13:43 pm by arrakis69ct »

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 07:51:58 am »
Meantime I added some definitions to Glossary (https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/openxcom/glossary/l/en_US/), you can fill it with your actual translations. Glossary items will appears in translation editor as highlighted words.

Offline Ishmaeel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 12:46:16 pm »
Toasting in an epic thread. Signed up, can't wait to fiddle with the shiny new knobs.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 07:24:23 am »
Sorry about the delay, migrating is being complicated as there are differences between how GetLocalization and Transifex process files so I'm having to do a bunch of manual work. :(
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/openxcom/
However half the languages are already available, so feel free to get to work and start forming teams if need be. All the old vote stuff is gone, so every string is up for improvement.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:26:47 am by SupSuper »

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 12:47:07 pm »
Great work, thanks!
I have some experience with Tx, so I can help with it.

Offline Ishmaeel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 03:13:41 pm »
Thanks, Sup! As already stated, great work.

Two issues so far:

• The language codes (tr, etc) for most of the languages seem to mismatch with the values already established, so the YML download and upload does not work directly without editing.
  • Some languages seem to have a weird STR_1 in there, which naturally causes OXC to barf.

You're probably already aware of these - just posting in case you aren't. Not trying to bug or rush you  ;D

Also, my language team had an election and the result was that I should be appointed the reviewer by 100% of a total of 1 votes.  8)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:17:40 pm by Ishmaeel »