aliens

Author Topic: UFO LANDS @ SEA?  (Read 13636 times)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: UFO LANDS @ SEA?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 04:59:42 am »
yeah i know that this is not helpful
sorry that didnt got across

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 05:00:32 am »
yeah i know that this is not helpful
sorry that didnt got across

It's a good start - now it only needs improvements :)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 07:06:31 pm »
debug mode makes these zones visible on the geoscape, sorted by colour.

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 09:23:12 pm »
mod idea:
add new small globe-polygons blocks below the cities
change these polygons to new texture id (>12)
make some new terrains (URBAN+asian+slums+..)
make new civilian units and assing them to the new terrain
make new trajectory that lands on city zones

result: new "terror mission" with variable/controllable ufo sizes and city design and townsfolk-style

Seconded on this proposal.

Given the recently posted globe editing possibilities this should be possible shouldn't it?  It would be like a regular mission tho, with the "terror site" being an extended landing and wouldn't replace the months default terror mission, and would have a landed craft.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 01:40:16 am »
It would be like a regular mission tho, with the "terror site" being an extended landing and wouldn't replace the months default terror mission, and would have a landed craft.
yes that right the terrain depends on the city choosen, the ufo is in the map (so you can have bigger and smaller "terror" attacks) but its as random as other mission types

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 04:16:26 am »
Seconded on this proposal.

Given the recently posted globe editing possibilities this should be possible shouldn't it?  It would be like a regular mission tho, with the "terror site" being an extended landing and wouldn't replace the months default terror mission, and would have a landed craft.

I'm still considering the best way to use the globe editor to better adjust some terrains, like Port in coastal areas or Urban around cities. It wouldn't necessarily add new missions but might be a nice addition. 

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 03:26:06 pm »
I have been seeing UFOs landing at sea (rather, immediately off shore) quite a bit in Open X-Com unmodded client.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 08:00:58 am »
I have been seeing UFOs landing at sea (rather, immediately off shore) quite a bit in Open X-Com unmodded client.

Can you take a pic and post it? If this is happening on unmodded vanilla it means that there is a bug on OXC.

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 12:04:39 am »
Just had the same thing.  ??? Admittedly I am directly working on modifying the trajectories :| , but I don't think I did anything that would cause this all my additions were based on other existing entries.  If I did, where did I go wrong, if not, here you go save with reproduced error and screen shot.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 07:42:20 am »
My guess is it's caused by land boundaries not quite matching up with the graphic, but I haven't seen it enough to verify.

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 07:52:27 pm »
My thoughts too. I don't recall seeing this in 1.0 and there was a recent overhaul of the mapping, so there may be some refinement needed to make the map the computer is working with match the image it's showing.  I don't usually let UFOs land except in the early game so it may be a issue that just went unnoticed.

The mod I'm working on involves at least one landing in most of the trajectories, so I'll probably be seeing it more now. I wanted to be sure it wasn't something I did before I went any further.  The ruleset I posted with the save fit's what I'm trying to do for now so if that's not the cause I'll keep track of when/where it happens.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 11:03:53 pm »
there was a recent overhaul of the mapping.

i don't recall seeing this.

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »
i don't recall seeing this.

Um, well then I'm not sure how to refer to the change, late September, that allowed for a new textured globe via the rulesets, but that's what I was referencing as a possible suspect. Prime suspect being my own meddling with trajectories, but I'm a my limit of understanding for those until further experimentation or someone points out where I may have screwed up.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:48:35 pm by NoelBuddy »