Author Topic: Scripted event missions  (Read 12942 times)

Offline skymarshall

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Scripted event missions
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 01:37:18 pm »
What I've implemented so far would allow you to do a one-time multi stage mission that shows up on the geoscape.  I haven't implemented triggering the events on a timer, allowing the event to reoccur, or timing the event out (synomium sites need all of those).   None of those are exactly rocket science and I could fit them in over what I've done without rewriting anything.

I have no idea how those synomium and cruise ship missions triggered in tftd though - were they part of a normal alien terror mission involving a chain subs or did they "just appear" ?  Certainly my experience was the latter. 

The terrain stuff is interesting - if you check out the rules file in my build I've also externalised some of the terrain feature control into alien deployment (ie whether to show the craft, and 'guaranteed' terrain blocks like the alien brain, base control, exit lifts).  In principle, you could do silly things from config like have a 5 stage alien base (this would need new terrain blocks for a lift to the next level)

No idea whether or not the terrain features code I put in is sufficient for the xcom2000 maps as I'm not familiar with them yet.   I'm putting the guaranteed blocks anywhere on the map, so I couldn't do stuff  like coastlines yet, where block position matters.  But, I will take a look at the xcom2000 maps and see if they'd fit

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 09:41:06 pm »
If you want do something with UFO2k maps you should checkout Hobbes thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2358.0 because he did many maps for UFO2k and now for OX. Your modification could be very useful for him.

BTW if you will want some scripts in your missions you can check out my branch where I created basic functionality for scripts:
https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/893 or https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2059.0
Right now is in bit rough state, but can be improved to state where it could easy alter game.

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 11:33:46 pm »
Thank you for the links.

I will try to view it in this weekend.(I am sorry, I missing to do it)

I am an old strong fan of Hobbes  ;)

The ufo2000 map datasets that I enums are hosted on  Hobbes's website
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:11:14 am by davide »

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 02:33:24 am »
To this end, is there/could there be a string which initiates a terror site/alien base/base attack scenario if you wanted to make a variant mission set?

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 09:09:25 am »
I wish I expose all mission attributes to ruleset

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 01:34:45 pm »
I'm interested too, I have... ideas.

Offline skymarshall

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 11:24:34 pm »
Any ideas on what I could do to this change to make it approvable?

I'm not submitting these changes yet, as I think they're still too out there.

To Noel's question, the missions that become available to the player using this feature are completely separate beasts from the alien missions.  The point at which they start sharing information is the UFO config and the aliendeployment config.  So, there's no way to trigger a modified alien terror mission sequence from my scripted events. 

Even if you could, there is way too much hardcoded to STR_TERROR_MISSION, so if you created a duplicate STR_TERROR_MISSION2 alien mission in the ruleset, it would not behave anything like an alien terror mission.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 12:33:28 am »
Any ideas on what I could do to this change to make it approvable?
From my experience, I can say you have need strong arguments backing your change to pass Warboy floodgates :)
One of that could be implementing TFTD missions.

BTW I recently start working on branch that will have lower requirements for change than master branch, and your both mods look like something that will fit its goal. If you are interested you could checkout my thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2915.0

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 12:45:05 am »
If we consider modding a form of art, then finding a way to convince the devs is also a form of art in itself.

Which makes any implemented piece of code art, cubed!

Offline skymarshall

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 01:01:34 am »
Your "greedy" branch is a good plan for now as there are a lot of dev ideas that could use refining and exploring by the modding community here before they go anywhere near the master code

I actually started coding this events change locally on top of your 4-weapon craft change (not a proper checkout sadly as I was too impatient to learn github at that point) and then once I had it working, merged some of my changes into the latest nightly to create the clean branch I shared here.  So we're clearly thinking along the same lines

Not clear what we'd do with said branch once the tftd code is ready or after any major refactoring of the master, but c'est la vie