Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 663726 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [EXE] OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #660 on: December 27, 2015, 02:59:59 pm »
I hope that I could manage finish 3.0 before Christmas (in julian calendar :D) probably hardest part is finish only some details left to do.

That would be nice. :) I have high hopes for the scripting language. First, I would like to recreate the teleport from the UNIMOD for UFO Extraterrestrials: you throw it, and upon landing it moves you to the place where the teleporter landed. :)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 27, 2015, 04:27:38 pm »
I think that some med-kits should be only self use. Instead of current `allowSelfHeal`would be new property:
Code: [Select]
allowedTargets:
  self: true
  enemy: false
  friend: true
  stuned: false

Maybe also:
  neutral: false/true ?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 27, 2015, 04:34:57 pm »
That would be nice. :) I have high hopes for the scripting language. First, I would like to recreate the teleport from the UNIMOD for UFO Extraterrestrials: you throw it, and upon landing it moves you to the place where the teleporter landed. :)
At some point it will be available, but on humble begging only recoloring and animation (you could change body sprite to another one, e.g. with blood if that part have wounds) will be available. After that in next version I plan exposing more internals of engine to script.

Maybe also:
  neutral: false/true ?
Right, this too. It can have some uses over reusing `friend`for them.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 27, 2015, 06:44:50 pm »
@2: yeah just like you said, but i'd rather see something like: target: {name}, it will be more informative and require less extra strings.

OK, so the numbers work also with these new types of medikits.

Also, changing the Medikit GUI would be useless for them... so I decided to put the information already on the tooltip.
It will have different colors:
1. enemy = red
2. neutral = orange
3. friend = green
4. yourself = blue (I wanted yellow but couldn't find the color)

Also, there will be additional info if the unit is on the ground (or not).
See screenshots.

What do you think?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 27, 2015, 09:57:14 pm »
I'm bit torn. Meridian, you add couple good additions your version, but most of them are UI improvements that I try avoid in my branch.
I think that for today, best solution would be if Dioxine switch to your exe with piratez. I can help you if you want with creating dll less exe similar to my or nightly.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 27, 2015, 10:07:21 pm »
I'm bit torn. Meridian, you add couple good additions your version, but most of them are UI improvements that I try avoid in my branch.
I think that for today, best solution would be if Dioxine switch to your exe with piratez. I can help you if you want with creating dll less exe similar to my or nightly.

That's OK.
There is a reason these changes didn't make it to vanilla (yet).
For example some of them change the GUI in a way that doesn't go well with translations (too much stuff)... btw. I didn't even follow the STR_* convention, so that my changes work without any changes in rulesets (only English of course).

The build is basically for my LP only... and for anyone who would like to use the same.
I don't know if Dioxine would want to switch to my build or not... not even sure if that's a good idea or not... hard to say right now.

Anyway, I have one more change for tomorrow and then I will (try to) upload to GitHub.
After that, it would be cool if you could create a single EXE for us.

EDIT:
I found a lot of nice suggestions on the forum, I will wait with publishing before I can sort and implement them
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 06:19:35 pm by Meridian »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #666 on: December 27, 2015, 10:59:57 pm »
The build is basically for my LP only... and for anyone who would like to use the same.
I don't know if Dioxine would want to switch to my build or not... not even sure if that's a good idea or not... hard to say right now.

Not sure myself. I switched to OXCE not only because it's better for modders, but also because it's clean and non-intrusive. While I think most of your additions are very welcome, they're personalized. I might add those as optional 'patch', but the main bugger here is, you either take or leave it. You cannot switch some on and some off, as eg. UFO Extender Accuracy. Whatever I think about your personalized exec (and I really like about 80% of it), enforcing it on everyone, en masse, is not such a great idea. But it's really cool you're doing this. Maybe some reasonably clean and agreeable distribution might be made out of it. Far too soon to decide on everything just yet.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 28, 2015, 09:32:09 am »
I can make some of them optional. Theoretically even all of them.

Which features would you turn off if you had the possibility?

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 28, 2015, 12:10:58 pm »

Charge available indicator are very useful  :D
You could omit digit 0 when useless (003 -> 3)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:17:40 pm by davide »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #669 on: December 29, 2015, 09:04:12 am »
Another simple enhnacement idea, for Manufacturing this time: adding maxEngineers setting to an item manufacture project. It would disallow to throw more Engineers at an item than this setting allows (like Stanisław Lem said, making fun of what he called 'military logic': the fact that a single person needs 200 minutes to dig a hole, doesn't mean that throwing 100 people at this job will result in the hole being dug in 2 minutes; a more likely result is people killing each other with shovels).

Same might be done for research (maxScientists; Lem was talking specifically about research, after all, and using physical work just as an example) - not that important in Piratez, as your number of Scientists is limited any ways, but would be immensely useful for vanilla-enhancement mods, like FMP or X-Ops or Hardmode.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 29, 2015, 12:24:06 pm »
Another simple enhnacement idea, for Manufacturing this time: adding maxEngineers setting to an item manufacture project. It would disallow to throw more Engineers at an item than this setting allows

+1

(like Stanisław Lem said, making fun of what he called 'military logic': the fact that a single person needs 200 minutes to dig a hole, doesn't mean that throwing 100 people at this job will result in the hole being dug in 2 minutes; a more likely result is people killing each other with shovels).

Or as I say to our project managers: 9 women cannot give birth to a child in 1 month :D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #671 on: December 31, 2015, 11:50:26 am »
Same might be done for research (maxScientists; Lem was talking specifically about research, after all, and using physical work just as an example) - not that important in Piratez, as your number of Scientists is limited any ways, but would be immensely useful for vanilla-enhancement mods, like FMP or X-Ops or Hardmode.

Actually I think it would be quite useful for Piratez in the context of written documents that need to be read, like The Solar Courier or Govt Documents, or Decrypted Data Disk. I don't think teamwork makes that much sense here.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 31, 2015, 10:23:46 pm »

I was trying to upload my changes today... but sadly I couldn't even fork your repo Yankes... clicking on fork button only redirected me to my old fork of SupSuper's repo and gave me nothing new.

I then tried connecting, branching, cherry-picking, merging and all that f$%k... only by miracle did I not lose everything! GitHub SUX!!

So, to prevent unwanted accidents, I am posting my work up until now here as ZIP file with 70 patches.
I am not done yet ;-)

EDIT: for anyone who wants to use this... most of my work is PROTOTYPES, not production quality code... there is no support for translation, no support for TFTD, no support for optional features (i.e. turning my stuff on/off), and probably a lot of other "ugliness"... everything is provided "as is"... no guarantees.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:05:50 pm by Meridian »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 01, 2016, 02:58:36 pm »
It bit stupid if fork of my fork create base repo, but we can probably work around this.

If you do it everything correctly, you should have clean fork of OXC without OXCE under:

git remote add MeridianRepo git@github.com:Meridian/OpenXcom.git
Then under two address you can grab my or supsuper changes:
git remote add SupSuperRepo git:https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom.git
git remote add YankesRepo git:https://github.com/Yankes/OpenXcom.git
then you can grab my changes and merge with your master:
git fetch YankesRepo
git merge YanikesRepo/master

Then you can push all changes from your master branch to your repo:
git push MeridianRepo master:Extended
Now you should have new branch (Extended) in your GitHub repo

[ps]
git will ask you for pass each time you try push something, you can avoid this using https://help.github.com/articles/generating-ssh-keys/
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 03:01:58 pm by Yankes »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 06, 2016, 06:30:41 pm »
OK, I think I finally managed to do it properly: https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/tree/oxce2.5b-plus-prototypes