aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 663696 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [EXE] OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #615 on: November 30, 2015, 11:23:06 am »
Can I use this to change the base layout to 8x8?

I also want to make 2x4 tanks. It can theoretically be done, they just need to check a few squares next to them for passability when turning.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: November 30, 2015, 07:38:46 pm »
Can I use this to change the base layout to 8x8?

I also want to make 2x4 tanks. It can theoretically be done, they just need to check a few squares next to them for passability when turning.
No and No. Base don't have enough room to add new rooms. Adding scrolling would be overkill. And for tanks, this would need modification in lot of different places. Every part of battlescape would need changes only to support this.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 01, 2015, 11:41:22 am »
No and No. Base don't have enough room to add new rooms. Adding scrolling would be overkill. And for tanks, this would need modification in lot of different places. Every part of battlescape would need changes only to support this.
Why can't the base screen just be put to a higher resolution?

I don't see how the battlescape needs changing unless you mean to prevent the tanks from getting stuck. I don't see a problem with that...player either learns not to get tanks stuck, or learns to free them once they are stuck.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #618 on: December 01, 2015, 02:33:45 pm »

I don't see how the battlescape needs changing unless you mean to prevent the tanks from getting stuck. I don't see a problem with that...player either learns not to get tanks stuck, or learns to free them once they are stuck.

If you don't see problems, why don't you code it yourself :) Higher res Basescape is NOT supported by the game as of now, and even if it were, you'd have to force higher res on everyone to have larger bases...

Also, non-square units are not supported. Falko once said that it would be theoretically possible to make a 3x3 unit on this engine, but one would have to write a sprite drawing routine for such an unit, at the very least.

@Yankes: question. Does the HitBonus in UFOs replace their normal hit chance, or increases it? Also, what is the default hit chance of UFO weapons? 60%?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:37:38 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 01, 2015, 07:55:30 pm »

Most of my answer could be Dioxine post. One point about "battlescape needs changing", I except that to do it right it would require rewrite half or battlescape code to made 4x2 units works. AI, Path Finding, Map and Unit rendering. And is big possibility that it will end up as big mess (3x3 would be more possible).
And finally one things that prevent it even if I could made it. This will break backward compatibility with basic version. its still should be possible to load extended save in normal exe, of course without any new functionality form extended version.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 02, 2015, 07:26:49 am »
What if it was counted as a 2x2 for purposes of placement, movement, and hit restrictions, but reserved a couple spots in front of and behind it on the transport, and drew a larger sprite which covers up whatever is on the squares in front of or behind it? It would have some graphical glitches but you could avoid that if you wanted by not driving it next to walls.

Well I'm okay without these, they're not really worth buying anyway. At this point I'm just curious to find some way to do it. I'd really like to see an 8x8 base layout though. I wasn't aware that the base screen can't have its resolution changed.

Is there some way to make an aircraft storage facility that can hold multiple aircraft which are not fueled, and make it so they can be transferred to hangars?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:37:15 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 02, 2015, 06:25:28 pm »
Reaver, the base thing has already sort of been implemented by Fenyő here. I really liked the option too, but it was... not added to the main branch.

You can read more about it in that thread (the video is a good demo of the features), and Fenyő's branch is still up on github so one could merge it into their game. Base handling shouldn't interact with much other code, except maybe Yankes' base facility requirements code. I haven't tried to merge it, but eventually will I think. Unless Yankes is willing to merge it into OXCE and literally extend XCom :D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 06:44:19 pm by Arthanor »

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 03, 2015, 11:59:36 am »
the customization of the explosion animation is an extended feature or is it available on vanilla oxc too?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 03, 2015, 07:02:35 pm »
vanilla, I only add custom sound.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #624 on: December 04, 2015, 01:26:36 pm »
Minor request: would it be possible to add custom point cost for live capture? (I don't even know how this is calculated, to be honest... twice the kill value?)

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #625 on: December 04, 2015, 03:05:30 pm »
Minor request: would it be possible to add custom point cost for live capture? (I don't even know how this is calculated, to be honest... twice the kill value?)

I see where this is going and I approve.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 04, 2015, 07:15:54 pm »
I can do it, but only after I finish scripting (and this will take some time).

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 04, 2015, 08:04:29 pm »
Another minor request:

Do you think you could add a lineto UFOPaedia articles for meee weapons? In the same way it shows:

XShot  Acc  TUs

it would be really nice to have:

Melee  Acc TUs

Would save Dioxine writing all that in the UFOPaedia description.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 04, 2015, 08:20:21 pm »
Another minor request:

Do you think you could add a lineto UFOPaedia articles for meee weapons? In the same way it shows:

XShot  Acc  TUs

it would be really nice to have:

Melee  Acc TUs

Would save Dioxine writing all that in the UFOPaedia description.
It will be hard because not enough space for 4th line. Without some sacrifices it is probably impossible.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 04, 2015, 08:47:52 pm »
hum.. good point. What about:

If all 3 shots are defined, don't show melee option even if it is there. The weapon is obviously a gun and the modder can add melee info if they want.

If not all 3 shots are defined, you have space, melee info is shown.

That would allow better presentation of the melee info for all purely melee weapons, and most of the hybrid weapons.

Or if not that, then maybe only for weapons that don't have any shot? Currently, only the power of the weapon is shown, and everything else has to be put in the description. Having one line for the stats of melee weapon would improve things to some extent, and make the ufopaedia more uniform.