Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 663122 times)

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [EXE] OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #210 on: March 02, 2015, 08:52:23 pm »
thank you sir

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 05, 2015, 01:04:41 am »
Small update with recent SupSuper changes to regions.

[PS]

My next goal will be requirements for research and production based on available buildings in base.
This will allow for research to require special building like "physic laboratories" present in base to start research plasma weapons.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:13:29 am by Yankes »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 05, 2015, 01:54:54 am »
yankes you should make a custom training facility that turns item X into item Y for ex can turn soldiers into mecs or can turn soldiers into better soldiers or turns live aliens into soldiers etc.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 06, 2015, 07:20:06 pm »
This is bit out of scope of my extended version, I try focus on altering original game functionality and de-hardcoding properties.
I add new functionality only if its very local and don't require changes in may places.

That you propose would require merging handling of items and solders (if I want reuse manufacture code).
Another thing is UI, I prefer don't change or add new because its will require new text with translations and I try avoid this parts.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 06, 2015, 07:45:58 pm »
This is bit out of scope of my extended version, I try focus on altering original game functionality and de-hardcoding properties.
I add new functionality only if its very local and don't require changes in may places.

That you propose would require merging handling of items and solders (if I want reuse manufacture code).
Another thing is UI, I prefer don't change or add new because its will require new text with translations and I try avoid this parts.

okay :)

Mono

« Reply #215 on: March 08, 2015, 06:15:48 pm »
Hy Yankes!
Whit OXE I can finally trash my own armors during battle tanks to your damageAlter property.
I love your work!  :D

I'm reading the pedia at https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=OBDATA.DAT#Grenades
(setting a pre-primed bomb under the UFO Power Source), but I was unable to replicate this
behaviour. There is a way to set some kind of timed auto-destruction in battlescape?
If not, may you be interested in adding one to OXE?

I also have a second request (I'm a greedy person   :P)
Can be possible for a weapon to inflict random damage to the user?
What I have in mind is a possibility for psi-amp of doing 1 or 2 hp damage to my own soldier,
but this can also be used for a 1/1000 chance for a weapons to explode OR for an object to
inflict negative damage (healing) the user.
(healthUse, similar to the energyUse property you add to items ruleset)

well, my 2 cents anyway.
Thanks for your time and work!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 06:28:49 pm by Mono »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 08, 2015, 09:31:28 pm »
I'm reading the pedia at https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=OBDATA.DAT#Grenades
(setting a pre-primed bomb under the UFO Power Source), but I was unable to replicate this
behaviour. There is a way to set some kind of timed auto-destruction in battlescape?
If not, may you be interested in adding one to OXE?
You read wrong ufopaedia article :> Hack form UFO don't work in OpenXcom, its have its own set of hacks :)
And about implementation, its depend on required functionality (how exactly it should behave), if is only one "if" change in code then I will do it.
If it require lot of changes I will probably pass. Right now I will give it 70% chance to be implement.

I also have a second request (I'm a greedy person   :P)
Can be possible for a weapon to inflict random damage to the user?
What I have in mind is a possibility for psi-amp of doing 1 or 2 hp damage to my own soldier,
but this can also be used for a 1/1000 chance for a weapons to explode OR for an object to
inflict negative damage (healing) the user.
(healthUse, similar to the energyUse property you add to items ruleset)
Only thing that prevent me form doing it is error message when you don't have enough hp to use item.
To do it properly I should add string in all languages that are supported by OpenXcom. This is a lot of work that I prefer avoid.
Only way I see doing it is throw all responsibility onto modders to provide require texts if they use it, but this is lazy solution.

Aside of that, I except that in some day I will do this when I add `energyUse`. Most of code was refactored to support `healthUse` and `moraleUse`,
but because previous problem I didn't move that far.

If I did add this, cost would be flat cost. It would work exactly like current `energyUse`.  Every use would reduce your `hp` by some value like `3` or `42` with no random.

Mono

« Reply #217 on: March 08, 2015, 11:41:23 pm »
tank you for the quick response!

What I tried to do is add a custom alien grenade in terrains.rul (elerium in UBASE is added
this way), on top of the elerium, and then messing around whit the item properties: battleType: 2 (Ammo), clipSize: 25 (turns left), meleePower: 25 (also turns left) as described on the Pedia.
I was thinking that the rulesets was used the same way as OBDATA.DAT is used on original game.
My fault  :-[
In short, what I ask you (if you are willing to do it) is to add a way to insert a pre-primed bomb
in the battlescape. Then modders can place this item via terrains.rul.
Citing the Pedia for possible usage:
One practical application of this is to create exploding elerium pods that will explode after a pre-set number of turns
Set the damage to strength to something insignificant like 1 to let them wink out of existence (for data disk autodestruction after x turns).

Regarding second request: flat cost would be a great improvement already  ;)
If you are just worried about localized messages, why don't use some dull pre-made string
like STR_DISABLED: "Disabled"?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 09, 2015, 12:32:49 am »
If this "grenade" is one time use and you can't bring it to fight then I could do it.
I need first check how best is to handle this. I would prefer avoid situations when its spawn in base defense mission (because you get some) and start exploding obliterating your facilities. Another thing is if we allow aliens equip this too?

Overall I will think about this but meanwhile I need do some different work like updating my branch to official one. This will take some work, because Warboy change lot of code that I change in my branch too.

And for messages, this fall in lazy category too ;P

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 09, 2015, 02:56:50 am »
The ability to spawn a primed grenade (or other explosive) could be cool.

The previously mentioned exploding power sources could turn the game into a rush to eliminate aliens on a craft UFO before the self-destruct countdown runs out, which is such a classic from sci-fi that it really deserves to be doable. Sectoid Leader to his Engineer: "We are being overrun! Set the Elerium Engine to overload!!"; "Overload in 15 minutes, Sir!"

Or set the radius to one and just make it even harder to get Elerium out of crash sites..

Interesting, in a nasty, masochistic way!

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 09, 2015, 08:51:19 pm »
New version available

Killer feature is that buildings can now have dependency chain. You can require that to build one building you need have two other available.
Same with research and manufacture, you need specific buildings in base to starts projects.

Some examples:
To do alien autopsy you need have special building Prosectorium in that base.
You can manufacture E-115 but to do that you need build LHC in your base that will drain lot of power bills :)

Only limitation is that you need only one building of that type to benefice from it.

Rest of changes added in this version is change of handling throwing ad hitting using twohanded weapons, now they have penalty like while shooting.
Another change is prime and throw action can be configure to use flat TU costs.

Mono

« Reply #221 on: March 11, 2015, 02:40:48 am »
wonderful new possibilities... Thank you.
For my part, I just started learning how to mod and I don't think I will use more than 5% of the freedom offered by OXE.

New buildings are a call for longer and longer games and unlike items or armors, they need talented modders for new maps and new routes. Out of my reach. But I will wait for new resources to stole  :)

Can I pester you a little about "lazy solutions?" ::)
Referring to the previous posts on "healthUse" and "moraleUse":
what if the soldier that don't have enough hp to use item will simply be knocked down stunned (attack not performed)? Is this reasonable?
Ok I will not open the matter anymore, I swear!

Thank you for your work!

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 11, 2015, 07:58:57 pm »
Can I pester you a little about "lazy solutions?" ::)
Referring to the previous posts on "healthUse" and "moraleUse":
what if the soldier that don't have enough hp to use item will simply be knocked down stunned (attack not performed)? Is this reasonable?
Ok I will not open the matter anymore, I swear!

Thank you for your work!
This will complicate code a lot, it's because I need add handing of suicide after every place where is spend resource.
If you really want it, I will add this (when I will have some free time) but all burden of providing messages (even in English) will be on you and other people that want use it.

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2015, 04:57:34 am »
You need to stop tempting me Yankes.  :) So if a facility that grants research or manufacturing items is removed, does the project still stay in the list?

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2015, 05:10:23 am »
i got this badass openxcm extended idea i been thinking about i m gonna do it one day. is just a simple but COOL mod . i gotta re-read the  main page to make sure is possible.