aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 675532 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2014, 07:47:41 pm »
You converted me. Now I no longer care about any official exes (and other exes) anymore, THIS is the way to go.
Dioxine and very other megamod-maker: Switch to this exe, it adds so many possibilities.

Anyway, a BIG thanks to Yankes and everyone else participating in this!

I agree. But I owe something to those users who won't want to switch, so I'll maintain compatibility with basic OXCom up until a full "demo" version of my mod is done.
And indeed, praise to Yankes, redv (even though communicating with redv is harder than with aliens themselves, he's doing great work) and others :)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2014, 08:02:17 pm »
Thanks for that civilian :)

Definitely - it'd make "nuke"-type weapons more balanced and realistic (Blaster but also literal nukes), by destroying all the loot. Right now a Blaster can be used safely, since a single explosion, no matter how powerful, can only kill an unit and the damage doesn't carry over to the corpse/equipment.
I didnt do that only because I tried sneak in to master branch. Now I can revisit that code and alter it more.
Any suggestion how it should work exactly? One way of handling it is apply all over kill damage multiplied by "ToItem" to corpse and items. If damage is grater than durability of item then item is removed and corpse not spawn.

Another changes I plane to add is that fire & smoke affect stunned units.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2014, 08:49:55 pm »
Thanks for that civilian :)
I didnt do that only because I tried sneak in to master branch. Now I can revisit that code and alter it more.
Any suggestion how it should work exactly? One way of handling it is apply all over kill damage multiplied by "ToItem" to corpse and items. If damage is grater than durability of item then item is removed and corpse not spawn.

Another changes I plane to add is that fire & smoke affect stunned units.

Seems like a logical approach, and in-line with the spirit of the game. A little side idea - possibility to disintegrate the body with a severe overkill with a non-HE weapon? Say for non HE damage, (overkill damage-50) is applied to the corpse (but not their equipment).

Fire and smoke should DEFINITELY affect stunned units. The fact that it is not happening is counter-intuitive.

EDIT:
Could you guys perhaps look into repairing this whole hard-coded mess with corpse/live alien recovery? Like, un-chaining corpse/live specimen recovery from research topics so the game won't be no longer crashing if some artificial requirements are not met (like, if there is no STR_NEWALIEN_AUTOPSY topic, corpse recovery results in a crash and so on), or not catching aliens at all if their research isn't unlocked yet?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:02:48 pm by Dioxine »

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2014, 04:41:56 pm »
Just tested the ALTSPRITE features and the dual-wielding personal armor concept and both work fine!  :)
This is so awesome! *happy*

And the craftweapon types work fine, too. I split my weapons into three teirs (eras) and it worked w/o the slightest problem, really good work!

One thing that surprised me (and scared the shit out of me) was the damage that the alien PSI attacks do by default. But it was as easy as adding tthree lines of code to my ruleset and the problem was corrected.
The default setting makes alien psi VERY deadly. No range limit, no ammo limit, NO defense possibility and worst of all: they do not need to see you (if you don't use the LOS option)... I swear that was one scary mission before I could go back to base and edit the rul file  ;D
The scariest mission I played in several years actually.

Talking about features: After trying the REALVISION exe some weeks ago, would it make sense to add a VisibilityatDay entry as well? I am still not sure about this. The REALVISION exe was quite a performance hog on my PC... the game basically stopped each step a unit made so...

*Update: tested most, maybe all damagemodifiers and they work! I even managed to make a Stasis-Grenade, removing all the TUs from the hit unit, impressive work redv and Yankes.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:32:46 pm by new_civilian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #139 on: October 17, 2014, 07:06:05 pm »
Just tested the ALTSPRITE features and the dual-wielding personal armor concept and both work fine!  :)

Do you happen to have graphics for unconscious units (no blood)?

On a separate note, I am thinking of a possibility to add random damage to the battlescape prior to the battle, especially on crash sites (much like the UFO Power Source explosion, but smaller and in random places, to represent falling debris). Would this be possible?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 07:07:55 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2014, 01:08:45 pm »
Sorry, no unit graphics, I tested the Primed Grenade feature with a custom icon.

Yankes, I found a bug, PM'ed you about it. Will be offline for some days, so i can not report for that time.  :-\

Btw, is it possible to add one thing that I really miss when modding X-Com: An exclusion function for researches? e.g. If you research this weapon theme you will be unable to research another one, forcing you to make decisions e.g. should I go for  Laser or Gauss or Heat-Ray this time? This would give the player a reason to play another campaign, testing all the weapons by themselves and not all at once...

And it would unclog the research selection screen...  :)

CU soon-ish...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 01:52:27 pm by new_civilian »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2014, 12:21:08 am »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2014, 12:27:25 am »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2014, 12:40:38 am »
Right now it's only based on damage dealt to unit. Threshold now is half of max hp. If negative hp move past it, unit don't leave corpse behind.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2014, 12:43:43 am »
So in theory, even mundane weapons might be able to obliterate something?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2014, 01:15:44 am »
Yes if it done enough damage in final hit.

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2014, 12:24:58 am »
Uppps economy crisis. No body no money XD

Enviado desde mi LG-D802 mediante Tapatalk

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2014, 01:34:18 am »
Very nice! Does it use custom animation frames for each death as in a modder would have to add three extra death frames per unit sprite sheet or is it an engine effect?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2014, 11:43:01 am »
Engine effect. You don't need add anything. Funny thing this is that I don't know why it behave that way :D I excepted it should made all colors turn black but it instead made all transparent. My overall goal was crate same effect but I didn't except it will work without creating special function doing this.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2014, 01:28:49 pm »
New version is ready.

Main change is overkill damage. Damage can now pass to negative values, if negative damage will be greater than half of max hp then unit evaporate and don't leave corpse or spawn new unit. Items can be destroyed then too.
This can be turn off in damage type by property "IgnoreOverKill", this is turn off by AP and MELEE damage.