Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 663258 times)

Offline NeoWorm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 12:28:35 pm »
But you're asking for this when there is a code fork that will not be merged, or it's simply not sure it will be.

My take on the thing is that once TFTD support will be in beta and only bugfixes will have to be stapled down....that could be a good time to pull most of the feature requests for OXC, at least concerning the UFO part.

I see no reason to fork away at this point risking incompatibilities with TFTD specific code.

Of course I do NOT mean "do not work on this", but I'd play along the lines of doing something you're confident it will be POSSIBLE to merge, and not divergin already.

Of course I don't know if this is at all possible, eh.

I may have misworded what I meant - I think that things that conflict or potentially conflict with vanilla OpenXcom mods probably shouldn't be priority. Also things that can potentially change ingame  mechanics in a way that original behaviour is no longer possible with a port. I think good port for a game should be able to let one play the game in its original state as close to vanilla as possible while also supporting diverse mods.

I don't want a both way compatibility - thats nonsense and I know it. But it shouldn't end up with two completely different ports with two exclusive sets of rules.
It's similar situation like with ZDooM and GZDooM - ZDooM focuses on new mechanics and GZDooM focuses on graphics while retaining compatibility with ZDooM. So you can play ZDooM mods with GZDooM but not all GZDooM mods with ZDooM.

The view distance mod is backward and forward compatible with regular version of OpenXcom.
I know, I checked what it should do and I wanted to try building it last weekend but I had some problems. I probalby didn't merged the branch correctly. I am not used to Git. Or programming.

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 02:29:51 pm »
The view distance mod is backward and forward compatible with regular version of OpenXcom.

This is mostly what I was talking about.  ;D

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 02:34:59 pm »
I think if we stick to features that aren't conflicting/redundant with what Sup & Warboy are doing, and keep features reasonable (compatible with XCom core elements & interface limitations), this is going to be merged eventually. But I wouldn't worry too much - Yankes seems to be doing this in a modular fashion so nothing that he changes is set in stone. I agree though that 1.0 is far too early to branch off - just look at all the cool features that were added to OXCom since this thread started.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 07:12:13 pm »
I think this best approach, one way to archive it is do not altering save games. This will allow swamping back and forward what version you are using.
Of course some mods could be crippled, but game should be playable.

btw meanwhile I fighting with my toolchain to get exe without additional dlls like nightly. Current I installed VirtualBox and Ubuntu to get access to same toolchain like openxcom.org use of nightly :)

--- posts merge ---

After victorious battle with toolchain I created stand alone exe :)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:18:37 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 11:44:16 pm »
Gratz!

An extended feature idea: we have strengthApplied and psiStrengthApplied... how about adding throwingApplied? This skill sees little use as of now, it could be linked with weapons like thrown knives as a damage buff. Also, would it be possible that all these applied flags would be percentage (multiplier) instead of boolean? Adding 100% strength to weapons damage is usually an overkill...

Man, more of this and we'll have XCom: Role Playing game :)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 11:57:40 pm »
good idea dioxine :)
next step 20% of intelligence applied to weapon accuracy, 30% of melee skill applied to weapon power and -25% of strength applied to tu costs .. *dream*

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 12:44:10 am »
Gratz!

An extended feature idea: we have strengthApplied and psiStrengthApplied... how about adding throwingApplied? This skill sees little use as of now, it could be linked with weapons like thrown knives as a damage buff. Also, would it be possible that all these applied flags would be percentage (multiplier) instead of boolean? Adding 100% strength to weapons damage is usually an overkill...

Man, more of this and we'll have XCom: Role Playing game :)
I never intended use bool for that, only "strengthApplied" is bool for backward compatibility and new functionality use [0.0, 1.0] scale.
Current options:
Code: [Select]
damageBonus:
  strength: 1.0 #set default to 1 if `strengthApplied: true`
  psi: 0.3 # == psiSkill*psiStrength like power of psi-amp
  psiSkill: 0
  psiStrength: 0
Throw could be used there too.

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 01:06:54 am »
Great idea, thank you for giving us new opportunities. :)
I'd love to see more functions un-hardcoded so they could be customized.

I only have 2 small requests which I think are reasonable.:

1) Enable to use medipack on yourself (would allow special food / drugs / potions without the need of having somebody else feed them to you).

2) Enable custom explosion sprites in the same way as hit sprites

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 01:30:10 am »
Ability to coup-de-grace an unconscious character.
I hate having to use a medi-kit to revive an alien just so I can shoot him again. Since you get more points for killing an alien than you do for subduing it (like 20 or 25 for the later ones, vs 10 for capture).

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 01:59:07 am »
Ability to coup-de-grace an unconscious character.
I hate having to use a medi-kit to revive an alien just so I can shoot him again. Since you get more points for killing an alien than you do for subduing it (like 20 or 25 for the later ones, vs 10 for capture).

Enable Alien Bleeding. And afaik you should be getting double points for capture vs. killing...?

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 02:37:26 pm »
Taking site

Enviado desde mi LG-D802 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 04:24:43 pm »
Good idea with including the overall Psi in this damage formula... A modder has to be careful with that though as it maxes out at 10k (even 10200 I think) :) I love when soldier's stats are relevant to tactics in many aspects.

@Ran: I support this on both accounts although I think Warboy will (fingers crossed) create custom explosion sprites support as a part of TFTD (it needs separate underwater & above-water explosions).

Offline Dave84

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 10:10:39 pm »
Not sure if it's just me, but I can't get the exe to work. It loads up ok, but crashes when I try and start a new game or battle.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 10:21:24 pm »
What version of OpenXcom did you have? And what error you get?
I build it based on recent nightly. Additional I tried recreate toolchain that is used for nightly builds.
Every thing should work similar way to original version of OXC.

Offline Dave84

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 10:26:11 pm »
I have version 1.0, I'll downloading the latest nightly first and try again.