Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 663629 times)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
[OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread
« on: September 07, 2014, 06:50:34 pm »
Extended version of OpenXcom
Mod version 4.0a
OpenXcom date:   Nightly 2018-08-17
OpenXcom commit: a6d2d32495d9a2efa5b3460a284b7be33629129d
Extended date:   2018-09-09
Extended commit: 5fb565cd9d7b31978b4a152a38b55cd389b1ffb0

Ubuntu required libs
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian libsdl-mixer1.2 libsdl-gfx1.2-4 libsdl-image1.2 libyaml-cpp0.5

Behavior change

Hyper-Wave Decoder can have less than 100% chance to detect aliens.
Explosions don't remove unconscious unit if they can't kill them first.
Craft weapon equip screen is a bit rearranged.
Fixed "weapons" like the Medikit are now equipped by unit.
Psi-Amp use 3d range, not 2d.
Psi-Amp can use weapon power.
Fixed ammo are added after weapons in armor and unit (armor items are before unit items).
Corpses, items and Chryssalids are not spawned when unit is killed by weapons with overkill.
Stunned units can be hited by bullets and fire.
Big groups of aliens (20+) get less morale losses from casualties.
Terror units can now spawn with any built-in weapon, not only one defined by name.
While loading and unloading weapons you must pay the cost of moving the item to hand.
You can unprime granade for half of prime TUs cost.
Support for Ufo2000 armor damage type.
Psi-Amp can now obey maximum weapon range.
Psi-Amp can now deal direct damage using special attack type in popup menu.
Throwing now requires a healthy arm to do it (if the item is two-handed, then it requires both).
You can hit aliens in the head using any item you like, not only firearms stock.
Items can now be non-throwable.
Rewriten handling of alien psi attacks to handle new features of Psi-Amp.
Building, manufactures and research can now have special requirements for buildings available in base.
Throwing and hitting using two-handed weapons have the same penalty as with shooting.

1.6:
You can train your solders basic skills.
Aliens weapon types/weapons can have different turn restriction.
You can rename weapon slot names in geoscape craft info.

1.7:
Rewritten item use cost. Now is possible to spend HP, Morale or grain stun damage from using items.
You can't use old `energy*` properties in item, they are removed and replaced by new one in `cost*`.
Item have now range threshold unit they start calculating range power reduction.
Damage type can now change default power change per tile in explosion.

1.8:
Option for custom weapon deploy for alien missions and ufos.

1.9:
Options for customizing retaliation mission after shooting dow ufo.
Options for adding custom dodge chance or unit psi defence.

2.0:
Breaking change: Psi-Amp use now weapon dropoff and aimRange for attack chance.
Breaking change: Drop support for Regeneration stat in armor. Use new regen stats now.
Inventory screens can now have up to 128 backgrounds.
Unit sprites recolors can now support up to 128 values.
Option for custom change of TU, HP, Energy, Morale or Stun after next turn based on unit stats.
New stat bonus based on stun level of unit.
Option for changing fuse type in granades and flare.
Option for pre-priming granades on map spawn.
Option for dodge chance based on direction of attack.
Oprion for bonus morale recovery when using medkit.
Option for self heal using medikit.

2.1:
Craft can now have up to 4 different wepon type per slot.
Oprion for overriding shape of alien base.
Option for setting chance of special effect of item.
Moving can trigger all close proxy not only one.
Corpse explosion now can have bonus based on unit stats.
Grenades now can explode at once without destroying each others.

2.2:
Option for custom sound and animation for miss attack and psi weapons.

2.3:
Option for defining percent of all action cost stats. Old use of `flatPrime` and `flatThrow` is deprecated.
Facilities can now require items to build.
Medikit can now be used without UI and can use `hitSound`.

2.4:
Option for defining bonus and damage type for melee in range weapons.
Option for big explosion sound for each items.
Option for showing fixed weapons on unit.

2.5:
Update to nightly and bug fix.

2.9:
Scripting support in unit graphic (more info in game log with debug on).
`bigSpriteAlt` and `floorSpriteAlt` is now obsolete, will be replaced by scripts in next version.
New property `refNode` used to shared values between items/solders/armors etc.
Option for setting numbers of melee hits done by AI.
Control space usage of soldiers with 2x2 armors in crafts.

3.0:
Backported game machanic changes from Meridian OXCE+.
Fix stun damage calculation and add random for random option for final stats change by damage.
Refactored script handling.
Script support in reaction atack chance calculations.
Some light handling improvments.
New recolr and replace script graphic option for items.
Option for global events shared by scripts.
Custom tags that have user defined values.

3.1:
Base building can now prevent building other buildings.
New tag type that store other mod id.
Option for changing defualt unit light radius.
New functions exposed to script.
Reaction scripts have now information about runing or strafing of target.

3.2:
New functions exposed to script.

3.3:
New light system.
Option for reserving more space for mod in common surface/sound sets.
Visibility scripts that determine visibility of targets.

3.5:
Update to buildin script functions.
Update to recent nightly OpenXcom.

3.6:
Config for new lighting system.
New map script options made by ohartenstein23.
New scripts for items and units.
Add option for grenades to explode in hand.
Changes in handlig items with prime.
Primed granades are not recoverable if consumable property is set.

3.6a:
Fix couple of bugs.
Add some missed scripts.
Add damage type param to unit damage script.

3.6b:
Fix critical bug in unit damage function.

3.7:
New params with shooting weapon and shooter to damage and hit script.
Merge chagnes from master.
Random functions in script.
Vertical map generation support.

3.8:
Add multi ammo weapons.
New param with battle action for unit hit and damage script.

3.8a:
Bug fix.

3.9:
Bug fix.
Improvments in displaying multiple ammo items in inventory.
Script altering experience grain.

3.9a:
Bug fix.

3.9b:
Bug fix.

3.9c:
Bug fix.

3.10:
Bug fix.
Update nightly.
New grenade fuse config.

3.10a:
Bug fix.
Update nightly.

3.10b:

4.0:
Damage script can now alter zombie transformation chance.
Add access to current difficulty level in scripts.
Add base function requirmets to buy items, crafts and solders.
Add access to geoscape soldier in scripts.
Add script that is run at end of mission.
Add arcing shoots per attack type (by ohartenstein23).
Breaking change: Renamed `action` to `battle_action` in reaction scripts.
Add battle action to `awardExperience` script.
Breaking change: Renamed access function to statis in armor (added prefix `Stats.`).

4.0a:
Bug fix.

Links

Current working branch:
https://github.com/Yankes/OpenXcom/tree/OpenXcomExtended

Download available on mod site (require latest nightly):
http://www.openxcom.com/mod/openxcom-extended

Backup:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/w07p0ibc985kd/OXCE

Forum thread:
http://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2915.msg31641#msg31641

Credits

Meridian for OXCE+ :)
stiansel for FOV speedup.
redv & WarBoy1982 for a couple of commits.
SolarusScorch for fixing language in readme.
SupSuper & WarBoy1982 & Daiky for OpenXcom :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 08:11:15 pm by Meridian »

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 08:25:39 pm »
Do you interested in ready to use features for modders?
I.e:

* Radars of aircrafts can have not 100% chance to detect UFOs. https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/932

* Hyperwave decoder used the rule "radarChance" too. https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/931

* User can change rules of max view distance, max view distance at dark, max darkness to see unit. https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/904
  Max view distance at dark depend of armour that you wear.

* Ammunition for HWPs used the same rules as for aircrafts. https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/895

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:07:08 pm »
Yes, when I get some free time, I will look closer on your features.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:21:06 pm »
While you're at it... and it seems this project might be indeed what modders are looking for (I am very reluctant to custom .exes, but... so many possibilities are not to be scoofed at! As long as it can maintain the level of stability as the standard OXCom)...

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2788.0 - hope this isn't too convoluted, but I've come up with system that'd allow to create all sorts of "shield" items with only a short ruleset list of features and no new in-battle properties of items. Maybe you can salvage something out of it.

Another major thing would be allowing 4 weapons per craft, adding a (type) property to weapons and array of allowed types to slots, and allowing these weapons to modify the existing stats of the craft.

I just hope you won't get buried under a mountain of requests that are inevitable to follow and keep it simple, since it could mean a start of something really big...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:18:53 am »
This is an immensely interesting project, and as a modder I am very excited about it, but my concern is that it might too early go a different way than the basic openxcom. In other words, it's an Openxcom 2.0 that might be lacking functionalities that will show up in the future nightlies.

Therefore I think it's essential to incorporate all openxcom nightlies to this, ASAP. Otherwise we'll have competing codes, and that would be counter-productive and perhaps even destructive to the community.

I think it would be best if features implemented here would later be merged with the basic openxcom, as a "2.0". But that depends on the devs.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 01:37:09 am »
I will try keep backward compatibility with basic OXC. Best would be if any mod could work with my version without any big rewrites.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 01:59:34 pm »
How much more freedom for Modders... THis much https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2743.0  :P

Offline Dave84

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 04:01:43 pm »
As a lurker I had to make an account to say how exciting this idea is. I've downloaded many of the mods here and made some changes of my own, the ability to have custom damage types would open up the possibility to make much more interesting weapons. I've already looked at how the ruleset would work and thought of some changes I would make by giving different weapons custom damage types:

Grenades would do less damage to terrain, they're meant to damage living things rather than walls (applies to alien grenades specifically)
The opposite could apply to high explosive.
Stun weapons should do a small amount of health damage, and possibly cause fatal wounds.
Some new weapons could do 50/50 stun and health damage, and/or cause a larger hit to morale.
(some) armour piercing weapons could be made to be actually armour piercing.
Perhaps plasma weapons could do a large amount of damage to armour and lower morale but not so much to health, there would be more chance to survive a shot but be significantly wounded and more vulnerable afterwards.

The possibilities are nearly endless, can't wait for the exe!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:20:18 pm by Dave84 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 07:37:50 pm »
Greetings, Dave.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. :P)

Grenades would do less damage to terrain, they're meant to damage living things rather than walls (applies to alien grenades specifically)

This could technically be achieved by cutting the explosion power by half and then increasing vulnerability of all units in the game by 100%, but that's a very dirty solution and would create problems with blast radius. It could be done with a special flag:
Code: [Select]
terrainDamage: 0.5
(multiplies damage to terrain by 0.5)

Stun weapons should do a small amount of health damage, and possibly cause fatal wounds.

Yep, as long as it's costomizable in the ruleset.

Some new weapons could do 50/50 stun and health damage, and/or cause a larger hit to morale.

This is relatively unlikely, since AFAIK the battlescape code is very hard to work with. Someone would have to crack it first.

hell, even I am afraid of going this way. :P

Perhaps plasma weapons could do a large amount of damage to armour and lower morale but not so much to health, there would be more chance to survive a shot but be significantly wounded and more vulnerable afterwards.

Nah, that's just lunacy. But I'd like plasma to cause fires (not my idea, but can't remember whose).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:39:35 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 07:43:06 pm »
While you're at it... and it seems this project might be indeed what modders are looking for (I am very reluctant to custom .exes, but... so many possibilities are not to be scoofed at! As long as it can maintain the level of stability as the standard OXCom)...

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2788.0 - hope this isn't too convoluted, but I've come up with system that'd allow to create all sorts of "shield" items with only a short ruleset list of features and no new in-battle properties of items. Maybe you can salvage something out of it.

Another major thing would be allowing 4 weapons per craft, adding a (type) property to weapons and array of allowed types to slots, and allowing these weapons to modify the existing stats of the craft.

I just hope you won't get buried under a mountain of requests that are inevitable to follow and keep it simple, since it could mean a start of something really big...
I think about shields but I don't have jet elegant solution for that. 4 weapon is in TODO list (basic functionality is done but not merged jet).

How much more freedom for Modders... THis much https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2743.0  :P
Tracking temporary buffs require special system for handling it. OXC don't have any thing like that. Right now I stick to ready or easy implementable features, because of this buffs are outside current scope.

As a lurker I had to make an account to say how exciting this idea is. I've downloaded many of the mods here and made some changes of my own, the ability to have custom damage types would open up the possibility to make much more interesting weapons. I've already looked at how the ruleset would work and thought of some changes I would make by giving different weapons custom damage types:

The opposite could apply to high explosive.

The possibilities are nearly endless, can't wait for the exe!
Most of things form your list is working, only direct morale change is unimplemented.

Offline Dave84

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 11:00:45 pm »
Hi Yankes and Solarius

I should have explained better, my wish list was what I thought could be modifiable using the Unified Damage Types from here https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/938, which I assumed was was included in this mod. Like I say I've been lurking for a while, I read the link before and thought it looked cool but I'm not able to compile the code so was hoping it would be included in the nighties or released as an exe at some point.

As for changing plasma weapons, my thinking was it could work a bit like halo, where plasma weapons are quite good at destroying armor but not really much better than human weapons other than that. It could make things more interesting, although I admit it would make the game easier if plasma weapons weren't as good. But I get bored of everything being one-shot kills, so some way to make a weapon more likely to cause severe damage but not kill outright in one shot appeals to me.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 02:29:11 am »
You can make it work with the current ruleset options, simply adding resistance to plasma to all unarmored/lightly armored targets, whatever sense does it make :)

Offline NeoWorm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 10:05:38 am »
Yes - this is exactly what a modder needs.
When (or if) you get to implement ruleset defined view distance I would have one more suggestion related to it.

My two cents - I would prefer to keep backward compatibility even if it means not implementing certain mods. Keeping track of odsolete versions to play certain mods is NIGHTMARE - look at Minecraft beta mods or some older DooM mods like Zanzan DooM.

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 10:34:56 am »
My two cents - I would prefer to keep backward compatibility even if it means not implementing certain mods. Keeping track of odsolete versions to play certain mods is NIGHTMARE - look at Minecraft beta mods or some older DooM mods like Zanzan DooM.

But you're asking for this when there is a code fork that will not be merged, or it's simply not sure it will be.

My take on the thing is that once TFTD support will be in beta and only bugfixes will have to be stapled down....that could be a good time to pull most of the feature requests for OXC, at least concerning the UFO part.

I see no reason to fork away at this point risking incompatibilities with TFTD specific code.

Of course I do NOT mean "do not work on this", but I'd play along the lines of doing something you're confident it will be POSSIBLE to merge, and not divergin already.

Of course I don't know if this is at all possible, eh.

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 10:44:26 am »
Yes - this is exactly what a modder needs.
When (or if) you get to implement ruleset defined view distance I would have one more suggestion related to it.

The view distance mod is backward and forward compatible with regular version of OpenXcom.