Author Topic: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations v0.98  (Read 236556 times)

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
Re: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations Mod -0.951 Update
« Reply #270 on: December 12, 2015, 02:37:31 am »
This mod is brutal and so awesomely cool that I can hardly imagine how to express it with words!
The new alien weapons and UFOs are superb I just love them at first sight. And those nasty surprises in the game mechanics... Cool!

I started it on Superhuman as "what may it have to surprise me so much?"... Well, first shocks:
Spoiler:
- 4 scientists and living quarters enabling 20 men (also labs have 20 space). What?! Giving some challenge right the beginning, that is cool. I do not remember if I met such difficulty modifiers in any other mods I played (mayhaps Piratez only).
- Spotted a small UFO, easy prey for my Avalanches! UFO shot back before Avalanche in range to even fire?! Wow, no more easy preys for beginning crafts and weapons. This is also a lovely thing and hope it will remain such (plasma cannon will not be an ultimate obliterator I hope). Now use researched craft weapons still not guaranteed to shot down small UFOs without damage.
- Alien crews. Have a terror with roaches. Roaches die from a "fart", cool, something more squishy than Sectoids and Floaters! Easy loot... Then met the four Silacoids. In the first month. Worse than Cyberdiscs. Will the game full of such surprises? Hope it will as I enjoyed playing UFO so much really really a while.

Congratulations for this mod! This is awesome and cool and made me sit and play well after midnight every days!

I'm glad you like it. :)  I'm finding my own mod really difficult. It's funny because I wasn't trying to make a challenge mod. Let me know if you encounter any bugs as I expect that the mid to late game stuff has a lot of bugs.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 12, 2015, 06:23:03 am »
You never know what you might discover underground ;)

Spoiler:

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 06:26:46 am by Hobbes »

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 12, 2015, 11:38:27 am »
Very very impressive!!!!  :P

Offline DracoGriffin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Steam: DracoGriffin
« Reply #273 on: December 12, 2015, 05:29:08 pm »
I may have to stream this very soon after that picture Hobbes.

This is looking... delicious.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 12, 2015, 05:44:50 pm »
I may have to stream this very soon after that picture Hobbes.

This is looking... delicious.

That picture is just me playing around with XOps's new toys mod :D

The underground pyramid first reminded me of the Aliens vs Predator movie but when I added the UFO I was inspired by John Carpenter's The Thing movie. I'm considering adding it to Redux as a two part mission, where first you need to investigate a polar station that goes offline after investigating a 'magnetic anomaly', and then you need to assault the buried UFO.

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
Re: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations Mod -0.952 Update
« Reply #275 on: December 12, 2015, 07:56:18 pm »
You never know what you might discover underground ;)

Spoiler:

Say what you will about the aliens, but at least they know how to park.

The underground pyramid first reminded me of the Aliens vs Predator movie but when I added the UFO I was inspired by John Carpenter's The Thing movie. I'm considering adding it to Redux as a two part mission, where first you need to investigate a polar station that goes offline after investigating a 'magnetic anomaly', and then you need to assault the buried UFO.
To bad you can't mod a blood test. Also, don't forget your flame thrower.  :) Actually, making an arctic research base was one of the terrains I wanted to do in the future.

I have posted an update. Added my first radar craft, an SR-71.

Also, alien weapons are usable now. They still cannot be built so the player should only be able use them for special missions.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 07:59:25 pm by XOps »

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 12, 2015, 08:32:29 pm »
Actually, making an arctic research base was one of the terrains I wanted to do in the future.

Why not do you join the force ?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #277 on: December 12, 2015, 08:52:48 pm »
That SR-71 is sexy...

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 12, 2015, 08:54:26 pm »
To bad you can't mod a blood test. Also, don't forget your flame thrower.  :) Actually, making an arctic research base was one of the terrains I wanted to do in the future.

Well... there are these new Muton Berserker units with some nice looking blades and there are Chryssalids, so some sort of a blood test could be arranged :)

I'm actually giving these ideas some serious consideration, as two separate missions.

One mission based on The Thing movies, where a station on the Antarctic goes offline after they report a strange 'artifact' discovered buried on the ice. XCOM deploys and first has to investigate the station where it discovers that the station crew has been infested with a plant like alien lifeform. Two part of the mission would be to assault the buried UFO and destroy any remaining alien life forms due to the threat to Earth, and you'd face the original alien crew of the UFO (at the end the question would be if they had been infected with the plant like alien themselves).

The second mission would start with the detection of a magnetic anomaly followed by a distress call by the scientific crew. First part of the mission, discover the crew and find out that they've been zombified. Second part, escape while running away from the Chryssalids/Berserkers.

This underground ice pyramid would also be awesome for something based on Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness story.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 09:26:11 pm by Hobbes »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #279 on: December 13, 2015, 03:06:22 pm »
I heard some Muton Berserkers arrived.
If you do not mind, i will use them to kick some players ass ;)

Offline xXxWreckinEasiesxXx

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 14, 2015, 05:31:37 am »
i check this thread everyday for new updates.. keep them coming dude!

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #281 on: December 15, 2015, 09:05:17 pm »
So far what I tumbled upon in this mod - note I am just arrived mid-game as I am in 1999's november!

- Codex extraction. While I understood why it is random what one may get here but get corrupted data just for the beginning is a bit strong. I need to built another level 1 Codex what gave some tech but this is frustratingly expensive!
- Research tree. I think I lost something somewhere as I have lasers and tier 2 ballistics but no extra crafts apart from Rook or any option to have plasmas or such things. I interrogate everything I can acquire but mostly got useless alien mission descriptions instead of unlocking new techs. Maybe I really need Muton or Ethereal commanders to continue the researches?
- Resource dependancy. To much. Disassembling, as I experienced and correct me if I am wrong, gives only fragments but no alloys or elerium. What the hell may I do with 5-600 fragments if only have 120 alloys? Not help to shot down everything and loot even the Nine Hells. So few alloys are acquired all the times. And everything needs alloys to build or one may forced to use basic techs almost untill late-game? Not much problem though as I can manufacture 16-20 laser batteries per month but I planned to use these weapons later instead of ballistics.
- I think alien bases and key recovery missions are way to hard as the AI reluctant to move from the key areas (transmitter, controll room) and deal with 8-10 aliens within a single turn is not always possible. If the AI is defensive the alien base design is futile. It has a wide open 4th level where both player and AI may could move troops easily. Only I do as the aliens left and move on the lower levels where they have less opportunity to ambush my troops.
- I started it before the latest release so alien plasma weapons are unuseable for my troops except the plasma cannon what I researched after installing the latest version. Is there a way to make accessible all the other weapons or I must sell them? Or is this some bug what remained within?
- Do shark guys really so strong or only special weapons are really effective against them? Laser and ballistics seemingly almost not hurt them at all (6-9 hits needs from a rifle for them to faint not to mention killing them). But their aggressive behavior is lovely! In a terror no need to search them as they come from everywhere to kill you. Or at least they did so in both terrors I have them involved.
- Love the new UFO interiors. So many sniping positions in large and very large ships that make incursions a meatgrinder. And now the AI throw accurately what is sad for my poor troops...

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 15, 2015, 10:29:31 pm »
It has a wide open 4th level where both player and AI may could move troops easily. Only I do as the aliens left and move on the lower levels where they have less opportunity to ambush my troops.

This can be corrected through adjustments on the 'Flags' setting of the nodes.

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 15, 2015, 10:45:08 pm »
Why not do you join the force ?

Three reasons. Time, time and time. :P
Also, I've already joined the Dark Side of the Force.

That SR-71 is sexy...

One of the coolest looking jets ever made in real life.

This underground ice pyramid would also be awesome for something based on Lovecraft's Mountains of Madness story.

I need to sprite a shoggoth one day.

I heard some Muton Berserkers arrived.
If you do not mind, i will use them to kick some players ass ;)

Go ahead and help yourself. Just remember to arm them :) I gave them a pair of nice blades.

i check this thread everyday for new updates.. keep them coming dude!

Thanks! I am going to try to maintain a roughly weekly release schedule for the next few months. The next update should have at least one small new goodie and a few more fixes and adjustments.

So far what I tumbled upon in this mod - note I am just arrived mid-game as I am in 1999's november!

- Codex extraction. While I understood why it is random what one may get here but get corrupted data just for the beginning is a bit strong. I need to built another level 1 Codex what gave some tech but this is frustratingly expensive!

Much like early game rookies, early game research was designed to be mostly a miss. However, much like early game rookies, persevere and there may be a reward. Still, I will note this.

- Research tree. I think I lost something somewhere as I have lasers and tier 2 ballistics but no extra crafts apart from Rook or any option to have plasmas or such things. I interrogate everything I can acquire but mostly got useless alien mission descriptions instead of unlocking new techs. Maybe I really need Muton or Ethereal commanders to continue the researches?

Interrogations do not normally unlock new useable tech (there are a few exceptions as some of it is needed in order to use certain codex techs), only the Codex can do this. Interrogations eventually allow the player to go to Mars. The stage one codex has two crafts that may pop up upon completion of research. If you research the first stage codex enough times, they should come up.

- Resource dependancy. To much. Disassembling, as I experienced and correct me if I am wrong, gives only fragments but no alloys or elerium. What the hell may I do with 5-600 fragments if only have 120 alloys? Not help to shot down everything and loot even the Nine Hells. So few alloys are acquired all the times. And everything needs alloys to build or one may forced to use basic techs almost untill late-game? Not much problem though as I can manufacture 16-20 laser batteries per month but I planned to use these weapons later instead of ballistics.

Noted.
If you are running low on alloys, have you considered raiding supply or construction ships? Those have a lot of alien supplies which break down into all three components, but give a larger number of alloys.

- I think alien bases and key recovery missions are way to hard as the AI reluctant to move from the key areas (transmitter, controll room) and deal with 8-10 aliens within a single turn is not always possible. If the AI is defensive the alien base design is futile. It has a wide open 4th level where both player and AI may could move troops easily. Only I do as the aliens left and move on the lower levels where they have less opportunity to ambush my troops.

Noted. I need to edit the nodes to spread out the aliens a bit more. They tend to clump up around the command center and larger labs.

- I started it before the latest release so alien plasma weapons are unuseable for my troops except the plasma cannon what I researched after installing the latest version. Is there a way to make accessible all the other weapons or I must sell them? Or is this some bug what remained within?

This is a bug that will be fixed when I update next. The large plasma should not be usable unless a stage four codex tech has been discovered. In the older version the alien weapons were useless. A recent update has made classes of alien weapons usable if certain codex techs are discovered.

- Do shark guys really so strong or only special weapons are really effective against them? Laser and ballistics seemingly almost not hurt them at all (6-9 hits needs from a rifle for them to faint not to mention killing them). But their aggressive behavior is lovely! In a terror no need to search them as they come from everywhere to kill you. Or at least they did so in both terrors I have them involved.

They do indeed have a very high aggression. They are predators after all. :) I'll note that they feel too difficult at this stage. I need to do another balance pass with them regardless. They should be stronger than snakemen, but weaker than mutons and faster than both.

- Love the new UFO interiors. So many sniping positions in large and very large ships that make incursions a meatgrinder. And now the AI throw accurately what is sad for my poor troops...

Yeah. Those entries are brutal. I find it's hard to shoot up, but easy for the aliens to return fire. It's even worse if they have explosive weapons.
Thank you so much for this feedback. I think I need to reword some of my UFOpaedia entries to make a few things clearer, especially in regards to the Codex.

--- posts merge ---

By the way Duke, you don't have Expend Research Item on right? Expend research items needs to be off or the game becomes near unwinnable. Also, are you researching each Codex stage multiple times or are you only research each stage once before upgrading?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:13:42 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #284 on: December 16, 2015, 10:08:12 am »
By the way Duke, you don't have Expend Research Item on right? Expend research items needs to be off or the game becomes near unwinnable. Also, are you researching each Codex stage multiple times or are you only research each stage once before upgrading?
It is set up for the game to destroy items are researched so I were need to rebuild stage 1 Codex 3 times. First got corrupted data, second gave me some pass topic what unlocked Medikit and third time I gain corrupted data again. That was the point where I decided to research all stages only once as I found impossible to afford rebuild codexes and fuel my troops with items. But will turn off the expend option and give a try to the lower codexes once again.

I reached a bit further and experienced that codex 4 provides no tech as "it decides what X-com may extract". On the other hand level 5 gave me Blaster launcher so it vanished from the available research list. Now I research Archangel as an Ethereal commander and a codex 5 seemingly unlocked that together.

I try to raid and loot everything I can shot down with pilums or can caught landed. I met with a Constructor only once as I mostly got small and medium vessels and 3-4 terror ships every month (these are impossible to shot down with Rook + 2 Pilums on Superhuman or I can not managed to do so).

Armoured Mutons are cool. Those guys really hate lasers and their duelist little angry friends are the most cool terror agents after the Chryssalids. Wear those lovely tattoos, awesome!

About codex key recovery missions. I have three so far and the site always filled with armoured water-heads. Sectoids are the only race have this mission or just I were unlucky to got floaters?