aliens

Author Topic: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations v0.98  (Read 234695 times)

Offline Squaddie Perseus

• Squaddie
  • Just average enough to survive the mission.
    • View Profile
Re: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations Mod
« Reply #225 on: October 19, 2015, 12:07:36 am »
It's been a very long time since I last logged onto these forums, and even longer since I checked up on all the progress that's been made, especially in regards to modding. Xops, I've been looking at everything you've done for this mod since version 0.80 (the last version I downloaded) and I...just holy crap man, your work is breathtaking. It's truly amazing. Honestly, I'm feeling a little lost on just what actually is in the mod because of all the work you've done (and that's not necessarily a bad thing, X-COM/XCOM, which ever version you prefer, should have a sense of mystery in regards to content). The work you've still got to do seems immense, but this in of itself was an immense undertaking in its own ways, so I'm sure you'll manage.  ;) So many new and amazing items and enemies and so many new sprites with amazing designs and a VERY well done balance (at least, the mod was very well balanced in the version I played). I'm tempted to get the current version (if I can figure out what nightly it's most compatible with), but part of me wants to wait until you release the next version. Best of luck finishing this mod, Xops. :)

Tangent: Also saw you mention you were writing a book. Well, I wish you the best of luck with that, and honestly, if you put into it the same amount of effort you put into this mod, I'm sure it'll be amazing.

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 20, 2015, 05:09:31 am »
It's been a very long time since I last logged onto these forums, and even longer since I checked up on all the progress that's been made, especially in regards to modding. Xops, I've been looking at everything you've done for this mod since version 0.80 (the last version I downloaded) and I...just holy crap man, your work is breathtaking. It's truly amazing. Honestly, I'm feeling a little lost on just what actually is in the mod because of all the work you've done (and that's not necessarily a bad thing, X-COM/XCOM, which ever version you prefer, should have a sense of mystery in regards to content). The work you've still got to do seems immense, but this in of itself was an immense undertaking in its own ways, so I'm sure you'll manage.  ;) So many new and amazing items and enemies and so many new sprites with amazing designs and a VERY well done balance (at least, the mod was very well balanced in the version I played). I'm tempted to get the current version (if I can figure out what nightly it's most compatible with), but part of me wants to wait until you release the next version. Best of luck finishing this mod, Xops. :)
Thanks for the praise. I wouldn't worry about peeking into 9.0. The difference between 9.0 and the upcoming version will be immense (9.0 1,606 files 6.48 MB vs the upcoming release with 3,276 files at 14.8 MB). So much of the sprite work has been vastly improved. Honestly, I am kind of embarrassed by some of my previous sprite work.

Tangent: Also saw you mention you were writing a book. Well, I wish you the best of luck with that, and honestly, if you put into it the same amount of effort you put into this mod, I'm sure it'll be amazing.
Thank you. I've gotten positive feedback from my beta readers so far. It looks like both my book and the next release for Xeno Ops will hit at about the same time.

Offline Squaddie Perseus

• Squaddie
  • Just average enough to survive the mission.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 24, 2015, 05:55:07 pm »
Thanks for the praise. I wouldn't worry about peeking into 9.0. The difference between 9.0 and the upcoming version will be immense (9.0 1,606 files 6.48 MB vs the upcoming release with 3,276 files at 14.8 MB). So much of the sprite work has been vastly improved. Honestly, I am kind of embarrassed by some of my previous sprite work.

Ugh. Sorry for replying to you so late. Real life, ya know? Anyway, wow, that's a heck of a file and size difference...which only makes me even more giddy for the next release. Also, why are you embarrassed about some of your older sprite work? I mean, sure, it's older content but there's nothing to be embarrassed about. It just helped you hone your skills and get you to where you are today. :)

Finally, I was looking back through the thread and saw a bunch of different Muton sprites, and then saw that you said the third tier ballistic weapons should allow players to take on both Mutons and Snakemen (and you were also kind enough to give us a glimpse of a new Muton sprite). My question to you is this: Since Mutons are stated to be fairly resistant to traditional chemical propellant based projectile weapons, but you've also stated that tier three ballistics should be capable of bringing them down...does that mean there's going to be more enemy variety in the next release? I mean, I remember my shock when I encountered Muton Commandos (nasty pieces of work) but...are we going to have to deal with veteran alien troops that have better equipment and armor? Please say yes because that would be amazing and really add to the sense of escalation within the game.

Thank you. I've gotten positive feedback from my beta readers so far. It looks like both my book and the next release for Xeno Ops will hit at about the same time.

Hey, I'll be looking forward to the releases of both then. If I see your book in stores, I may just pick it up. ;)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #228 on: October 24, 2015, 06:12:12 pm »

OMFG!
Dude how many sprites did you make in the meantime? This is crazy in a good way.
You wouldn't mind my plundering some of them if i like them, right?

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
  • Oh yes, this is going to be dreadful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 26, 2015, 12:34:05 am »
Boonie hats for the win! :3

You're in the army now, guys, the Ghostbusters jumpsuits you're used to won't cut it.

Awesome mod, can't wait for the new version.

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 26, 2015, 05:16:04 am »
Finally, I was looking back through the thread and saw a bunch of different Muton sprites, and then saw that you said the third tier ballistic weapons should allow players to take on both Mutons and Snakemen (and you were also kind enough to give us a glimpse of a new Muton sprite). My question to you is this: Since Mutons are stated to be fairly resistant to traditional chemical propellant based projectile weapons, but you've also stated that tier three ballistics should be capable of bringing them down...does that mean there's going to be more enemy variety in the next release? I mean, I remember my shock when I encountered Muton Commandos (nasty pieces of work) but...are we going to have to deal with veteran alien troops that have better equipment and armor? Please say yes because that would be amazing and really add to the sense of escalation within the game.

That's the end goal. The big development hurtle I'm facing right now is to get the pacing roughly in the ballpark so it gives the feeling of escalation. In addition to armored Mutons (and another early game alien I've added), there will eventually be some heavy floaters as well, though probably not for the upcoming beta (I only have a prototype at the moment). I am also planning on plundering robin's various alien race mods soon which should help add variety.
Hopefully, I can use feedback to fine tune the pacing. I want the Aliens to be one step ahead of the player until about mid to late game.

OMFG!
Dude how many sprites did you make in the meantime? This is crazy in a good way.
You wouldn't mind my plundering some of them if i like them, right?

One of the reasons this new release is so slow is because I keep updating older sprites in addition to the new stuff. There are not really as many weapons this time as much of the new files are map, mcd, and route files. As always, you are free to plunder anything so long as I get a proper mention in the credits.

Boonie hats for the win! :3

You're in the army now, guys, the Ghostbusters jumpsuits you're used to won't cut it.

I was almost tempted to make a dress uniform.  :)

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
  • Oh yes, this is going to be dreadful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 26, 2015, 06:16:43 am »
Well if you want to punish the inattentive you could make  a dress uniform the default for soldiers who aren't changed into their boonie hats, with protection of 0 on all sides and reducing reactions, TU, strength and energy :D

... nah, too evil. But the option's on the table XD

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #232 on: October 26, 2015, 06:42:16 am »
Well if you want to punish the inattentive you could make  a dress uniform the default for soldiers who aren't changed into their boonie hats, with protection of 0 on all sides and reducing reactions, TU, strength and energy :D

BUT with +40 Bravery (and maybe some psi def too). Fighting with pride, armor is for cowards! :)

btw I love that eerie blue labirynth

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #233 on: October 26, 2015, 08:34:25 pm »
As always, you are free to plunder anything so long as I get a proper mention in the credits.

Of course!!

Offline VSx86

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 28, 2015, 12:09:50 am »
 ;) Well, this worthful mod becomes better and more attractive...

Will it be released in first half of 2016?..

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 28, 2015, 12:21:16 am »
:o
 ???

... next month it is better !!!!! :P

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 28, 2015, 01:51:24 pm »

Expect official merchandise to hit the online stores one month before its release ;)

Offline xXxWreckinEasiesxXx

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 30, 2015, 02:19:35 am »
why do the terran and alien plasma weapons have mismatched/corrupted sprites?

<-- all the terran plasma weapons.. the clips them selves appear to be fine, but the weapons themselves look like clips? the one that actually looks like a weapon is the plasma cannon, but ends up looing like a mis-aligned hypervelocity cannon

the alien plasma weapons do the exact same thing... especially the alien grenade which looks like a fragment of an uzi clip

these are the mods i'm using (only yours)

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 15, 2015, 11:54:08 am »
Nice Mod. I have tried to limit applying my cheats to it - apart from modified soldier stats and money. Apart from that I like the look of the XOPs uniform and the different camos. Lovely!!

Offline Cristao

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 15, 2015, 11:58:22 am »
Still tinkering.

Got some nice stun weapons. I made a really awesome hit animation for them before I realized that shooting weapons with stun explode. :( Maybe I can make a cool electrical style explosion for them. Still not really sure where I stand on releasing this beast. I am working on the final edits for my book, so that is going to monopolize my time and it gets priority since it might make me some money.

Add the below line. It removes explosions. I found it out when experimenting on creating a portable stun pistol.

blastRadius: 0