Author Topic: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations v0.98  (Read 234714 times)

Offline Squaddie Perseus

• Squaddie
  • Just average enough to survive the mission.
    • View Profile
Re: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations Mod
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2014, 04:55:25 am »
Aw man!! A new version? And here I was getting ready to storm Cydonia once I had my best guys outfitted with all powered armor.....Oh well. I may still try to finish my current game before upgrading but holy crap XOPs, it's good to see an update. I've been checking back every so often just see if there's even a little bit of a teaser. Anyway, about that "missing something with the satellite network", I forgot to update my previous post (partially cause of school, partially cause your mod is so much fun!  :D) . That was another problem fixed with the latest nightly for the previous version of your mod. Seriously man, this mod is already tough enough and it already takes longer than vanilla. I can't wait to see what else you do. Also, if we get third tier ballistics before lasers...can we maybe get different tiers of other weapons as well perhaps, even if these things only show up in your "higher challenge"?

IE: Tier 2 lasers, maybe something that's a sort of "tier 2 plasma weapons" category (particle guns perhaps?), and maybe tier 2 hypervelocity guns (IE: X-COM goes from using hypervelocity guns, and I'm going under the assumption they're coilguns as they'd be the most practical, efficient, and effective format for an infantry based weapon like those, and goes straight to mass accelerators, which are basically coilguns that took a massive level in power)? Sorry if this seems a bit rambly. The screenshot and associated info got me really excited. Seriously, this is my new favorite mod for OpenXCOM. Keep up the amazing work man!!  :D

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2014, 06:26:10 am »
Aw man!! A new version? And here I was getting ready to storm Cydonia once I had my best guys outfitted with all powered armor.....Oh well. I may still try to finish my current game before upgrading but holy crap XOPs, it's good to see an update. I've been checking back every so often just see if there's even a little bit of a teaser. Anyway, about that "missing something with the satellite network", I forgot to update my previous post (partially cause of school, partially cause your mod is so much fun!  :D) . That was another problem fixed with the latest nightly for the previous version of your mod. Seriously man, this mod is already tough enough and it already takes longer than vanilla. I can't wait to see what else you do. Also, if we get third tier ballistics before lasers...can we maybe get different tiers of other weapons as well perhaps, even if these things only show up in your "higher challenge"?

The third tier of ballistic weapons are actually intended as inferior replacements for plasma weapons in the challenge mod. In the Hopeless War challenge mod, alien weapons are never converted only scrapped for parts at best. There is only going to be one laser weapon (Tactical Laser aka Heavy Laser) and maybe one plasma weapon if the player gets lucky with the tech tree. Both are powerful, but chew through Elerium Cells and need a lot of alien weapon components which as the game progresses get more scarce. That is merely a few things on a long list of ideas I have to make the game harder. Mostly it is intended for people who play the game way too much and find Superhuman too easy. It will have less toys than the main mod, but not by much.

IE: Tier 2 lasers, maybe something that's a sort of "tier 2 plasma weapons" category (particle guns perhaps?), and maybe tier 2 hypervelocity guns (IE: X-COM goes from using hypervelocity guns, and I'm going under the assumption they're coilguns as they'd be the most practical, efficient, and effective format for an infantry based weapon like those, and goes straight to mass accelerators, which are basically coilguns that took a massive level in power)? Sorry if this seems a bit rambly. The screenshot and associated info got me really excited. Seriously, this is my new favorite mod for OpenXCOM. Keep up the amazing work man!!  :D

Actually I am kind of running out of new toys to make for XCom. I have added nearly everything I can think of save for a few odds and ends. The hypervelocity tier is meant to be the ultimate weapon set for XCom as is evident by their steep material cost. If I make any new tiers of weapons, it will be for the aliens who are way too dependent on plasma. Fortunately, any new alien weapons will likely find their way into XCom hands at least in the main mod. My intent for the main mod is to make sure the player gets a chance to play with all the toys.
As far as future plans go, as I said, I am about done with adding new weapons and gear. My focus now is getting the marathon tech tree ready for the main mod. I have already started to consolidate the files into one ruleset and I have the basic tech tree fleshed out. 1.0 should see the main full marathon mod and lite mod added for those who want a shorter game. After that I am going to start implementing the challenge mod, but that one needs a bit more spriting.
Hopefully once that is all done, my next focus will be maps. I am also hoping that enough geoscape features will be unhardcoded so I can start making full custom missions (the map scripts update recently was big step in that direction). That's when the really awesome stuff will start happening.  :)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2014, 08:33:26 pm »
There are a few things I would love to see in this Mod as toys.

1. An Elerium Powered exoskeleton

A powered exoskeleton that increases strength, stamina and firing accuracy because elerium cells are a wet dream for making this a reality.

This Idea is based off of Steady Cam Harnesses, the Fortis Exoskeleton, and Landwarrior/ Nett warrior ideas.

A powered exoskeleton that is not armored (or lightly armored) or anything that  can be used to let a soldier hulk around gear and move freely integrated with fire control systems that rock.

stats would be high and are arbitrary, but just an idea to give some thoughts on.

Str:+25
Stm:+20
FA:+10
Wt:12

2. "Detention Kit"
A combination of a few things actually. I think the art would make it... if you could pull it off. Artwork showing a Truncheon, HandCuffs, Stun gun, Zip ties, Syringe, Ductape, and a Blindfold all jumbled in a 2x3 that weighs 5 or so.

how it would work is you have 2 modes of operation.

A "Stun" melee attack like we see defined by weapon melee mod and a "stun syringe" which is a medkit stim with a negative stun and energy recovery value from the Tranquillizer device mod.

this would simulate a guy either jumping on an alien or human and either shocking them, beating them with a truncheon, or injecting them with chemical subdual agents before handcuffing, Zip tieing and blindfolding them. So an agent could HIT an alien for stun damage like a weapon, or stand over them and use the  "Stim" to keep them down. But the values would have to be fairly moderate to prevent abuse of course....

Anyways, a few things I thought I of.

-HH

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2014, 10:23:42 pm »

A powered exoskeleton that increases strength, stamina and firing accuracy because elerium cells are a wet dream for making this a reality.

This Idea is based off of Steady Cam Harnesses, the Fortis Exoskeleton, and Landwarrior/ Nett warrior ideas.

A powered exoskeleton that is not armored (or lightly armored) or anything that  can be used to let a soldier hulk around gear and move freely integrated with fire control systems that rock.

stats would be high and are arbitrary, but just an idea to give some thoughts on.

Str:+25
Stm:+20
FA:+10
Wt:12
Ha! That's a great idea! I might steal that for the XAE.. Just have to make graphics. Meh..!

2. "Detention Kit"
A combination of a few things actually. I think the art would make it... if you could pull it off. Artwork showing a Truncheon, HandCuffs, Stun gun, Zip ties, Syringe, Ductape, and a Blindfold all jumbled in a 2x3 that weighs 5 or so.

how it would work is you have 2 modes of operation.

A "Stun" melee attack like we see defined by weapon melee mod and a "stun syringe" which is a medkit stim with a negative stun and energy recovery value from the Tranquillizer device mod.

this would simulate a guy either jumping on an alien or human and either shocking them, beating them with a truncheon, or injecting them with chemical subdual agents before handcuffing, Zip tieing and blindfolding them. So an agent could HIT an alien for stun damage like a weapon, or stand over them and use the  "Stim" to keep them down. But the values would have to be fairly moderate to prevent abuse of course....

Unfortunately, an item in OpenXCom is either a weapon OR a medipack, it can't be both :/ You could split this into 2 items though, although at that point it is pretty much the same thing as stun rod + tranquilizer.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2014, 02:01:17 am »
I'm afraid the increased FA favors too much the back lines snipers, because if they're too far from aliens to be seen, the reduced armor doesn't cost them anything. (You'd systematically fill the back half of skyranger with this armor)
If it's a bonus to reactions instead of FA, this is more interesting choice, because reactions only matter when you're in aliens' range - and this is also where armor counts.

A powerloader armor with increased mobility, stamina and strength at the cost of reduced FA may also be interesting, it still fits several roles at all distances, from very far to very close:
- logistics (the one who throws the right weapon to whoever has the best line of sight)
- grenade thrower
- evasive scout (spot and retreat, don't stay in the open during alien turn)
- stun rusher, with the occasional shooting alien at point-blank range

Offline HotIceHilda

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2014, 07:01:24 am »
Quick question is there any new items in this mods that are just there to sell for money and have no research or construction purpose? I am a little overwhelmed with everything I have gotten.

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2014, 08:15:03 pm »

Not a bad idea. Would be a nice mid game armor. Could even form a bit of a triad. Alloy armor for protection, skystrike for flight, and an exosuit for reflexes. Might be something I may add one day if I make a graphic concept I like. Armors are such a pain to sprite though.

Quick question is there any new items in this mods that are just there to sell for money and have no research or construction purpose? I am a little overwhelmed with everything I have gotten.

Useful Items
Alien Comm Device: 1 Elerium Cell
Small Entertainment: 1 Elerium Cell, 1 Circuitry
Holo Projector: 1 Elerium Cell, 1 Circuitry
Alien Computer: 2 Elerium Cells, 2 Circuitry
Alien Embryo: 1 Elerium Cell
Alien Extractor: 1 Elerium Cell
Alien Organ Sample: 1 Elerium Cell
All Alien Weapons
All Alien Ammo
All Alien Explosives

Sell Items
Alien Injector
Alien DNA
Alien Entertainment
Alien Food
Alien Habitat

When the mod hits 1.0, most of these values will change and all items will have a use even ones that use to be worthless in vanilla (alien entertainment, alien food, etc)

Offline XCOMFan419

• Colonel
  • Wait I'm still here I swear
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2014, 08:56:40 am »
I'm at the end of the game with Xeno Ops and I've practically hoarded Elerium Cells at this point. Last time I checked I had over 1200, and this was with regular rearming of my plasma weapons and stuff like that. But of course, to keep up with the outstanding TU cost of the plasma weapons, I resorted to Lasers with Elerium batteries and Hypervelocity weapons. I quickly ran out of elerium, but still had mountains of Elerium cells.

Maybe an Elerium Cell to Elerium conversion would help balance out the endgame? Because I have stores of <=60 Elerium at any time, while storming every UFO I can. 

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2014, 10:59:46 pm »
What's the difference between "ellerium lamp" and regular electro-flare? Is it something just to resell and make money? ("power" is the same for both items).

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2014, 12:23:04 am »
I'm at the end of the game with Xeno Ops and I've practically hoarded Elerium Cells at this point. Last time I checked I had over 1200, and this was with regular rearming of my plasma weapons and stuff like that. But of course, to keep up with the outstanding TU cost of the plasma weapons, I resorted to Lasers with Elerium batteries and Hypervelocity weapons. I quickly ran out of elerium, but still had mountains of Elerium cells.

Maybe an Elerium Cell to Elerium conversion would help balance out the endgame? Because I have stores of <=60 Elerium at any time, while storming every UFO I can.

Yeah I noticed Cells tend to pile up as well. When I hit 1.0, a lot of items like armor, Elerium laser batteries, and hypervelocity weapons will also use cells so there will be more of a demand for them. I couldn't do that this version due to the modular nature of the rules.

What's the difference between "ellerium lamp" and regular electro-flare? Is it something just to resell and make money? ("power" is the same for both items).

:-[ Whoops. It's suppose to higher (20 I think). I must have pasted over it at one point. I did some tests and I found if you set the power too high it distorts the colors. I'll fix it in the next version.

Offline Ajaxial

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2014, 04:10:52 pm »
Does this perchance work with latest Nightlie? Or shall I install this over a Mid November build or so?

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2014, 05:40:20 pm »
Does this perchance work with latest Nightlie? Or shall I install this over a Mid November build or so?

I just tested. It should work. If problems crop up then report them here and I can try to fix it.

Offline Ajaxial

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2014, 08:29:24 pm »
I apologize for the late/slow reply.

It does indeed work fine with the latest Night build. At-least thus far I haven't come across any issues. If I run across any I shall let you know.

Offline Ajaxial

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2014, 03:27:39 pm »
Thus far. Only issues have been in regards to text strings. As example. I get str_small_bomb or str_Alien_Heavy_Plasma instead of what I would assume be the ingame text like Heavy Alien Plasma Cannon. But otherwise it's running great! Not a single crash.

Although I have noticed the aliens are a lot more...aggresive. I LOVE IT!

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2014, 11:32:01 pm »
Thus far. Only issues have been in regards to text strings. As example. I get str_small_bomb or str_Alien_Heavy_Plasma instead of what I would assume be the ingame text like Heavy Alien Plasma Cannon.

I couldn't figure out why those strings were missing until I switched to English-UK. I lazily copy pasted the strings section. The main issue being that I forgot to copy paste to the UK strings on two of the rulesets. Regardless it will be fixed next update and I attached a couple of rulesets below that should fix the problem. Also, after checking the small launcher entry, I discovered that the human converted launcher does not shoot the right stun bombs. That is fixed as well.