aliens

Author Topic: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations v0.98  (Read 234608 times)

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
Re: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations Mod
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 06:51:51 am »
Just played a bit and noticed that the begin game research, "Global Satellite Detection Network," does absolutely nothing and doesn't give access to any other research. It also has no ufopaedia page. Is this intentional?

Nope. Should unlock the global radar facility. Add that to my list of stuff to fix.

EDIT: It was a string issue. Thanks for the catch. By the way, the facility should still be in the facility build list. The UFOpedia article was the only issue I think.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:54:25 am by XOps »

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 10:44:56 am »
NOTE:  To anyone downloading this...it does require the latest in nightly builds. 

This is really interesting so far.  I just started looking through it.

--- posts merge ---

Bombing out on me despite latest nightly...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:22:36 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 02:30:46 pm »
Curious, I compiled the latest git yday evening and OXC is bombing out on me no matter what game I load  :o

Offline Duke_Falcon

• Colonel
  • *Visit my DA site - click on the small globe!*
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 09:27:44 pm »
I finished this mod and have a few thoughts...

Cydonia way such a fun! Those blue Mutons are crazy and I saw them only once to miss a shot... But that was Cydonia, I will not reload to save my soldiers as that is the ENDGAME!!!
Otherwise the new Muton variants are funny (never tried to mind controll them, but the pedia say they are immune). As well the armoured Sectoids. First they were funny compared with my laser-equipped team... But they have either high HP or Armour and aim better than their naked siblings. And controll minds?!
Still, they quickly fallen when I got plasma weapons and alien grenades\technology.
Bloom laser... While it is an interesting concept this mod have no way to use them. They could be good only on alien bases where open places are hard to find... Otherwise nearly impossible to hit something farther than 5-6 squares. And X-com soldiers like to shot down each others  and the civilians with these things than aliens. I think it must be paired with a mod what provides more terrains, places to test these laser-shotguns really...
Plasma conversion. Genius idea! Make a bit boring to research tons of corresponding things then manufacture them but it feels much more real than grab-and-use alien things so easily. Maybe the same could be apply upon small- and blaster-launchers as well in the future releases.
And your UFOpedia rules. Just rules. It looks so good. Rules, man, rules. Although I found a bit funny that X-com works like some kind of corporation: "We may sell them for good price for Xenovision, Burger TV, Rigour Mortis Pharmacy and Cemetery ltd..." It is a matter of taste I know but it was strange for me. But if we think about that, well, it is rather logical...

A big thanks for you for this mod! It is the best quick-to-play-and-finish mod I played so far.

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2014, 10:48:17 pm »
A bit of feedback...the AntiMaterial rifle clip weights 6....I dare say it's a bit too much IMO, and I'd take another look at the weight of the kevlar vests....even thou 6 is not exceptional....it might benefit a reduction (1 or 2 points for playability).

It was a string issue. Thanks for the catch. By the way, the facility should still be in the facility build list. The UFOpedia article was the only issue I think.

I am in this situation....how is it fixed? I looked into the rulesets but to me it all seems okay.... ???

edit^n:

Now this is silly, I get a crash on my very first terror mission....OXC throws an asser somewhere about size of a vector....I'll try to reproduce.

I get the following message (this is from log):

Code: [Select]
[09-09-2014 23:39:15] [FATAL] vector::_M_range_check: __n (which is 304) >= this->size() (which is 92)
In which looking at the save file 92 the number of nodes in the map.

I'll report this to Hobbes as well.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 12:51:19 am by pkrcel »

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 12:59:54 am »
If the conventional aircraft research line is a waste of time to research, perhaps it should just be all available from the start. The craft can simply be different, with none necessarily better than each other. I haven't seen your craft details yet, but here are some possible roles:
1.) fast attack
2.) heavy attack
3.) fast transport
4.) heavy transport
5.) attack/transport
6.) patrol
7.) stealth (for use in a mod in which aliens can see you and react to your presence)

-----------------------

I like your armor ideas! I'm exploring options for new armor types for my expansion. Mind if I use yours for insight?

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 02:54:53 am »
NOTE:  To anyone downloading this...it does require the latest in nightly builds. 

:( Didn't even load? I tried it on 1.0 on my computer and it did load. Crashed when I started browsing through the UFOpedia though. I had hoped it would work 1.0 as most of the YAML was written when it was still 1.0.

Bloom laser... While it is an interesting concept this mod have no way to use them. They could be good only on alien bases where open places are hard to find... Otherwise nearly impossible to hit something farther than 5-6 squares. And X-com soldiers like to shot down each others  and the civilians with these things than aliens. I think it must be paired with a mod what provides more terrains, places to test these laser-shotguns really...

I hadn't had much luck with it either, but since I always play on Superhuman I just assume every weapon sucks  :). Still I may boost the accuracy of it. Actually I am tempted to boost the accuracy of all the laser weapons. I always thought it odd that laser weapons all had awful accuracy given that we use lasers on our guns for accuracy in real life.

Plasma conversion. Genius idea! Make a bit boring to research tons of corresponding things then manufacture them but it feels much more real than grab-and-use alien things so easily. Maybe the same could be apply upon small- and blaster-launchers as well in the future releases.

Glad you like it. I may fiddle with this system in the future to make it more versatile. I also had an Idea that a lot of the alien gear could be broken down into useful components as well.

And your UFOpedia rules. Just rules. It looks so good. Rules, man, rules. Although I found a bit funny that X-com works like some kind of corporation: "We may sell them for good price for Xenovision, Burger TV, Rigour Mortis Pharmacy and Cemetery ltd..." It is a matter of taste I know but it was strange for me. But if we think about that, well, it is rather logical...

Just trying to answer the age old XCom question of "Who buys all this alien stuff anyway?" :)

A bit of feedback...the AntiMaterial rifle clip weights 6....I dare say it's a bit too much IMO, and I'd take another look at the weight of the kevlar vests....even thou 6 is not exceptional....it might benefit a reduction (1 or 2 points for playability).

I was leaning that way too really. I'll knock down the weight a bit for the AM Clip and the Vests. Always felt wrong punishing the player with so much weight for armor that doesn't really do much except change the look of your troops.

I am in this situation....how is it fixed? I looked into the rulesets but to me it all seems okay.... ???

The requires String of the UFOpedia article was set to the facility name and not the research that unlocks it. The facility was still unlocked, but the UFOpedia article was not. It will be fixed when I update the zip file sometime probably on the weekend.

Now this is silly, I get a crash on my very first terror mission....OXC throws an asser somewhere about size of a vector....I'll try to reproduce.

99% sure this is the Terrain Pack. Hobbes was having trouble with nodes on that thread recently. Still I'll keep an eye out for it.

I like your armor ideas! I'm exploring options for new armor types for my expansion. Mind if I use yours for insight?

Thanks. You are more than welcome to copy my code or ideas. I only ask for a mention in the credits if you borrow artwork.

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 06:28:30 am »

I get the following message (this is from log):

Code: [Select]
[09-09-2014 23:39:15] [FATAL] vector::_M_range_check: __n (which is 304) >= this->size() (which is 92)
In which looking at the save file 92 the number of nodes in the map.

I'll report this to Hobbes as well.

Thats the same error I was getting.  Is it the nightly or the terrain?  Not sure.  Seemed to happen when chryssalids were on the move to attack, or when I engaged in melee. 

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 04:58:54 pm »

Thats the same error I was getting.  Is it the nightly or the terrain?  Not sure.  Seemed to happen when chryssalids were on the move to attack, or when I engaged in melee.

I think it had to do with this.
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2925.msg31886#msg31886
I may be wrong though.

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2014, 05:41:10 pm »
Indeed it is that problem.

You can't recover the mission, you just have to remove manually the Battlescape seciotn of the save and have it regenerate a mission with a new executable (I think thw Nightlies released later that Sept 10th).

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2014, 07:26:29 pm »
Just played a bit and noticed that the begin game research, "Global Satellite Detection Network," does absolutely nothing and doesn't give access to any other research. It also has no ufopaedia page. Is this intentional?

Fixed along with some other stuff. See attached zip in first post. Added some things too. Look out for new bugs.

Offline ThatDude

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2014, 08:08:32 pm »
Hello again, just started a brand new game with the updated edition and immediately noticed that I start with live sectoid soldier, leader and commander. I know this definitely isn't intentional.  ;)

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2014, 08:51:07 pm »
Hello again, just started a brand new game with the updated edition and immediately noticed that I start with live sectoid soldier, leader and commander. I know this definitely isn't intentional.  ;)

Nope. Can't say that was all part of my clever plan unfortunately :P. I fixed it with V0.61.
Edit: Thanks for the catch btw.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:00:21 pm by XOps »

Offline ThatDude

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2014, 10:50:33 pm »
Nope. Can't say that was all part of my clever plan unfortunately :P. I fixed it with V0.61.
Edit: Thanks for the catch btw.
Thanks for the fix, I'll continue playing and see what errors I can find.

--- posts merge ---

Hello, the "Black Kevlar With Beret" armor has a little green dot on the leg when Guile wears it. It does not happen for other male or female sprites wearing it so I'll assume it's accidental.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:21:56 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2014, 01:14:49 am »
Hello, the "Black Kevlar With Beret" armor has a little green dot on the leg when Guile wears it. It does not happen for other male or female sprites wearing it so I'll assume it's accidental.

It was from when I pasted over the original camo uniform. That armor was originally a camo green with red beret, but then I thought about how dumb that was to mix camouflage with a bright red hat. I fixed it, but since it isn't a huge error, I'll wait to update the zip until there are a few more issues. Thanks again.