aliens

Author Topic: I had forgotten how impressively bad regular grenades are.  (Read 5168 times)

Offline CryptoCactus

• Sergeant
  • oh god how did this get here
    • View Profile
I had forgotten how impressively bad regular grenades are.
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:18:33 pm »
One of my soldiers came upon a group of 3 Floaters tightly clustered together, so I had him toss a grenade right in the center of them (immediately adjacent to all of them). End turn...

BOOM!

And then they shot him and two other dudes behind him. I don't think the grenade even hurt their feelings.

Now I remember why I only ever use high explosives.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: I had forgotten how impressively bad regular grenades are.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 11:02:23 pm »
I love the setting that allows grenades to explode on impact!  It allows you to see the effects immediately.  And toss a second grenade as appropriate.  I'm still using the standard grenades!

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 12:31:48 am »
The second grenade thing is quite handy, since I've seen most of my stacked grenades get destroied by the first explosion....

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 01:50:24 am »
Or just mod grenades to have enough armor to survive a blast by a similar grenade. It's less game breaking since it does not remove the guessing element (or the aliens' ability to reaction fire) while still allowing you to use multiple grenades in the same turn on the same alien.

If I remember well, that's what TftD did too.

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:47:04 am »
But in that case you end up with grenades that are indestructible, while they should have a chance to go off even if NOT primed when being hit by a shockwave.

Anyway, I think it's also a game balancing element, otherwise you could theoretically stack a bucketload of grenades wreck havoc since day 0.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 05:25:26 pm »
What's the difference between throwing multiple instant grenades and a stack of grenades going off at once? In terms of damage it's exactly the same. But aliens can react to every throw and you have to guess how many to throw with the "resilient grenades". So it's less unbalanced than instant grenades.

The only advantage of resilient grenades is for proxy grenades since it allows you to stack many. But that's also more realistic. In theory, they would all be triggered at once and would all blow up instead of one blowing up and taking out the other primed grenades.

Currently, there is nothing allowing unprimed explosives of any kind to explode when in an explosion. I'm sure it could be done (in the same way some objects explode upon being destroyed, like UFO Navigations), but it has not been.

It's a bit weird to use the absence of an "explosive explosives" feature to justify not stacking grenades when a stack of primed grenades is the same as one primed grenade triggering other unprimed ones (except you need the TUs to prime them all versus just throwing unprimed grenades).

You are right that it is a balancing issue. I would say vanilla EU grenades are at the weakest, instant grenades are the strongest, and TftD's "resilient grenades" are somewhere in the middle.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 09:46:18 pm »
I don't want the "cook off' feature... even though it would be pretty realistic.  If a guy was hit by a plasma blast of basically any size enough to kill him instantly, anything explosive or incendiary on him would detonate or burn pretty much instantly.

I'll push that dose of reality away.

-HH