aliens

Author Topic: [HWP] Attack Dog  (Read 46798 times)

Offline Imeryak

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [HWP] Attack Dog
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2014, 07:59:45 pm »
I'll probably reduce its Melee skill to 0 (to avoid sword-wielding dogs)

Don't you dare to do this! Just beat the Dark Souls once and you will understand me.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:01:31 pm by Imeryak »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2014, 09:15:59 pm »
You're missing the point: it was a wolf, not a dog :) But indeed, Dark Souls are the reason I still hesitate :)

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2014, 09:39:27 pm »
Or a wargo XD

Enviado desde mi LG-D802 mediante Tapatalk

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2014, 11:12:11 pm »
A idea if you put the weapon in the two hands the people cant equip the dog with swords or granades XD

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2014, 02:35:51 pm »
This is one awesome little mod and SO well done! The graphics, the sounds, simply perfect. Thanks for making this.  :)

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2014, 05:02:00 pm »
We need dogs with kevlar armour or alien plastic protection

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2015, 03:29:44 am »
hey i'm reviving this thread there is a way to disable inventory access...make the unit rank: STR_TERRORIST...even thought is a HWP useable by xcom the engine thinks is also a terrorist and disables inventory in the weirdest way. clicking on the inventory goes to next unit instead of opening inventory. it works!

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2015, 04:05:44 am »
I have taken the liberty in editing the rulset to make the dogs more effective
improved TU to 90 (prev 80)
improved stamina to 110 (prev 90?)
improved energy recovery to 40 (previously 30)
improved str to 40
improved reaction to 90 (prev 60) so they always react to anyone going past them

improved acc to 100 on his bite attack
bite attack scales of melee skillApplied: true

selling dogs is 0 ..you don't sell them you simply give them away for adoption when no longer needed

disabled inventory for dogs they no longer show up in initial  loadout screen and if you click on their inventory just goes to next unit instead and does nothing. they can no longer carry anything. no more sword wielding dogs :) healing dogs would be nice. maybe a dog that has a healing kit built in like a saint bernard.

use  them with alternate moving run to enemy..bite few times..come back. or use them for scouting.

their bite is not strong s they cannot kill anything mechanical or high health. really useful against lower tier enemies.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:12:15 am by tollworkout »

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2015, 11:10:51 am »
I have taken the liberty in editing the rulset to make the dogs more effective
improved TU to 90 (prev 80)
improved stamina to 110 (prev 90?)
improved energy recovery to 40 (previously 30)
improved str to 40
improved reaction to 90 (prev 60) so they always react to anyone going past them

improved acc to 100 on his bite attack
bite attack scales of melee skillApplied: true

selling dogs is 0 ..you don't sell them you simply give them away for adoption when no longer needed

disabled inventory for dogs they no longer show up in initial  loadout screen and if you click on their inventory just goes to next unit instead and does nothing. they can no longer carry anything. no more sword wielding dogs :) healing dogs would be nice. maybe a dog that has a healing kit built in like a saint bernard.

use  them with alternate moving run to enemy..bite few times..come back. or use them for scouting.

their bite is not strong s they cannot kill anything mechanical or high health. really useful against lower tier enemies.
Uuggh, like, why? Dogs were already a uber weapon. With a reaction of 90 they get a guaranted first turn scouting, without being shot on the ramp. And all other bonuses are excessive too.
Disabling inventory is nice, though.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 11:46:34 am »
i don't think their stats are excessive. 

first they have no other action but melee attack.unlike regular soldiers who can throw grenades or shoot ranged weapons or use scanners or psi attacks etc dogs can only bite.

second their power is 40 and their hp is 35. takes about 3,4 hits to kill 1 alien but they die from any 1 shot of ANYTHING. no armor nothing. plus thy can miss 5% of the time with previous settings. making them sometimes go 5, 6 hits for 1 kill. 

third their damage is not enough to take down heavy units so late game are useless. i tried killing a sectopd with 3 dogs! and thy all  died. 3 soldiers can in fact kill a sectpod with AP weaponry .

a chryssalid can kill 1 unit with 1 hit and can hit maximum 10 times. a dog needs 3,4 hits and can hit about 9 times in a turn. so max 2 aliens down. problem with that is if it stays there it dies. you need to hit and run or make sure nobody is left around.

so i made the dog be fast and responsive and recharge energy fast but otherwise still just as useless.

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2015, 12:00:24 pm »
I do not really care about dogs offence, I never use a biting attack anyway.
It is a mobility coupled with price. It was already superior to dedicated scouts, because dogs are expendable, and stats are decent right from the start.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2015, 12:03:19 pm »
thats why they are useful..you use them as cheap scouts otherwise no use. but they can be useful for helping out against weak enemies..

however you gotta realize having 3 dogs means 3 less useful soldiers. so is a trade off. 1 dog is not enough and is likely to die. 2 just in case one dies at minimum.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2015, 07:08:11 pm »
I agree with Ridan that the current dogs are more than enough for scouting purposes. They move fast, recover a lot more stamina than soldiers so running them around is a lot more sustainable and they have good enough reactions that you can usually survive spotting an alien and ducking in cover. Plus they are cheap and easily replaced.

They are well worth taking one less soldier that's just gonna get killed stepping off the ramp. Those bonuses make dogs uber scouts and melee attackers.

The inventory fix is an interesting idea, but I also like them having an inventory. Dogs have been used in the military for centuries for carrying stuff (from bombs to bring to tanks, a failure, to carrying first aid and wounded). I give mine a smoke grenade so that if they are killed, they lay smoke on the spot which will help the soldiers sent to investigate and I managed one dog explosive kill.

The XAE attack dogs also come with a "motion scanner" to represent dog hearing/smelling out aliens (only useable once mind probe has been researched, otherwise you can't read the dog's mind) but unfortunately the "builtInWeapons" list only places weapons in hands and the scanner goes to the backpack, something I can fix manually with an inventory.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2015, 07:12:01 pm »
or once you have the psi research you can buy psi trained dogs that have the motion scanner built in Attack Dog , Psi-trained Dog

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2015, 09:08:50 pm »
Once you have psi-research you can have psychic magnet dogs being bred exclusively for a psi strenght of 1 :)