aliens

Author Topic: Open Source X-Com Apocalypse !!!  (Read 39279 times)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
Re: Open Source X-Com Apocalypse !!!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 09:44:45 am »
Same here, though I do have that repo starred. I've still not even tried to compile it yet to see how far they got.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 04:47:21 am »
you people stop posting :P, getting my hopes up and all :( maybe i should stop posting also :)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 02:13:56 pm »
I should stop checking this topic too... it's heart-breaking...

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 10:06:44 pm »
Let's hope someone will resurrect that project. Or start from scratch. Could be called OpenApoc ;)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 11:42:40 pm »
I'll add it to my list of "Games I Want to Make"... don't expect anything though :(

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2013, 02:33:09 pm »
my list of "Games I Want to Make" is full.. I'm sorry. It would have been a nice step up from openxcom, but I've gone in a totally different direction.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2013, 03:25:43 pm »
my list of "Games I Want to Make" is full.. I'm sorry. It would have been a nice step up from openxcom, but I've gone in a totally different direction.
My list will never be full, but I'll never accomplish 1% of them either. I'm getting rather disheartened by it all...

Anyway... care to share your new direction?

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 12:36:36 am »
My list will never be full, but I'll never accomplish 1% of them either. I'm getting rather disheartened by it all...

Anyway... care to share your new direction?
I know the feeling - one has too many idea's to all turn them into reality. But it shouldn't discourage you to go 100% after one idea and leave the others alone for a while :)

My new direction is mostly a change of genre: "construction and management simulation" is the genre officially called I think. I also decided that it will not be an opensource remake of a game. I can probably write a whole page about it, but it would be very offtopic here :) The biggest challenge is to keep the whole thing achievable.

ontopic: I don't know a lot about apoc, only tried it for a few minutes, but wouldn't it be possible to get apoc stuff into openxcom, so have an openxcom slowly transforming into apocalypse? They can't be *that* different from eachother that you would need to start from scratch... Just putting graphics aside and only looking at some gameplay aspects for example.

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2013, 12:56:52 am »
I know the feeling - one has too many idea's to all turn them into reality. But it shouldn't discourage you to go 100% after one idea and leave the others alone for a while :)
Yeah, I'm just struggling to want to open an IDE at the minute though.

My new direction is mostly a change of genre: "construction and management simulation" is the genre officially called I think. I also decided that it will not be an opensource remake of a game. I can probably write a whole page about it, but it would be very offtopic here :) The biggest challenge is to keep the whole thing achievable.
Well, I for one would certainly like to hear more, so if you want to start a new thread, PM me, or point me to a link... ;)

ontopic: I don't know a lot about apoc, only tried it for a few minutes, but wouldn't it be possible to get apoc stuff into openxcom, so have an openxcom slowly transforming into apocalypse? They can't be *that* different from eachother that you would need to start from scratch... Just putting graphics aside and only looking at some gameplay aspects for example.
I think the biggest difference with Apoc is the geoscape. You also can raid buildings regardless of alien presence. You can also destroy buildings in battlescape and it'll destroy them in geo.
There's also a lot more economics to the game - ie, if you manufacture a lot of an object, it's value decreases; you have relationships with various organisations.
Battlescape also supports a "real-time" mode, not that that would have to be implemented immediately (or at all, unless you're a perfectionist)

That said, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of merging apoc into OXC.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2013, 05:28:57 am »
I know how you feel. I've been itching to have something new, try out SDL 2.0, C++11, new coding practices, new languages, etc. But there's always all this other stuff I gotta get done first, and in the meantime the list just keeps piling up and all I end up with is various unfinished tools.

For sure. Your ideas sound interesting though, good luck with them. :)

I think the problem is to a player Apoc is still fairly X-Com, but to a programmer it's completely different. Completely different gameplay features, rules, mechanics, models, formats, etc. Same thing's happening with TFTD, on the surface it's "just a reskin" but still ends up requiring lots of code changes. :P

I wouldn't say it's "impossible" but it might actually be more work trying to adapt OpenXcom to it than starting anew (and starting from scratch doesn't mean you can't still crib off useful code ;)).

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2013, 11:04:06 am »
Do I see an Apocalipse remake brewing here?

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2013, 01:19:38 pm »
Possibly... I had a quick look at the data files, there's a lot of PCX images, which are easy enough to work with. The PCK format seems to have changed though, and I can't find any references to the new structures. There are editors and replacements out there, so somebody has figured them out.

That was pretty much the extent of my research before I got caught doing stuff IRL

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2013, 01:38:20 pm »
I remember reading a lot of stuff about the image files on the strategycore forums, Bomb Bloke was successful at creating an extractor for the armor graphics (so probably for the rest, too).

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2013, 02:24:55 pm »
My thoughts exactly. Bomb Bloke would be an excellent source of information.