aliens

Author Topic: Chasing UFOs  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Nines

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Chasing UFOs
« on: August 29, 2014, 02:05:23 am »
I wonder if it's possible to add the function to chase the UFOs without intercepting it? For example, I got a large UFO within the first month, and of course I don't have a necessary firepower to shoot it down, but still, I want to see where it flies and what it will do. I think the New Target function is not the best solution.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Chasing UFOs
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 02:28:55 am »
Intercept it, minimize the intercept window, zoom back out and speed up time again, and follow it for as long as your fuel holds out.

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 07:32:21 pm »
Thats hot-dogging.  If you hot dog the alien craft, doesn't it have a "Interceptor is eluding off!" message if in the interception window after x period of time?

A tail and observe would equal:  get within radar range and match speed.  Preferred for when you just want to tail that supply ship without spooking it off.  Just want to see where it goes until it lands.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:57:12 pm »
No, an UFO only breaks out if you initiate combat. If you tail it at maximum range without engaging, you can tail it for hours, as your interceptor is effectively ignored, and the UFO will break off only if its flight plan takes it to a speed unachievable by the interceptor.

Offline Nines

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 10:06:32 pm »
Well, this tip is sure works nice, but that's not exactly what I want and it's kind of cheating. Hope this function will be added somewhere in the future or via mods.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 10:18:57 pm »
I wouldn't call it cheating, firstly, it's original mechanics, secondly... UFOs generally completely ignore your craft, so this behaviour seems legit. If they were actively intercepting your craft, well... that's another pair of shoes.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:08:46 pm »
If they were actively intercepting your craft, well... that's another pair of shoes.

I'd love to see UFOs actively chasing XCOM craft...