aliens

Author Topic: Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal!  (Read 96948 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #71: Pre-Dawn Raid.
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2015, 07:10:17 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #71: Pre-Dawn Raid. 

Research gets cranking! Autopsies Galore!!

Ominous Mission in a Dark Forest!

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #72: Forest Breach!
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2015, 10:44:26 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #72: Forest Breach!

Clearing the Dark Forest and Gaining Dual Entry into the UFO!!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #73: Man of Steel!
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2015, 06:18:21 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #73: Man of Steel!

Plasma Rifle!!  Multiple Shots!! To the Face!!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep: 73: Fan RP!
« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2015, 07:40:25 pm »
Awesome Fan RP!!! :D <so giddy>

JustAMuffinLover 8 minutes ago:

Incubus was slowly moving up the narrow hallway. Captain Green and Tetsu were covering the rear, watching for any Xeno scum that would try to sneak up on their breach team. They could hear muffled firing noises on the other floor; all three of them hoped that those were the other breach team firing.
Incubus looked back towards her two fellow soldiers to check their status, when all of a sudden, a patter of feet on the metallic floor sounded from behind the corner up ahead. Incubus looked back just in time to see a Sectoid taking aim for Tetsu. Her reaction was instinctual. She made a mad dash (PEW) towards the (PEW) little bastard, not (PEW) really caring (PEW) about the plasma (PEW) singing her body (PEW). The pain was bearable enough; Enough for her to backhand the xeno across its huge head, unbalancing it enough to drop its rifle. She kicked it down on the floor and took her trusty service pistol out of her holster, aiming right between the huge, bulbous eyes.
(BANG)
(BANG)
The silence was deafening. Tetsu and Captain Green rushed to hold her up as the shock of the burns began to wear off. Kiaburra from the other breach team rushed through the door up ahead after they radioed the all clear in their section, medical equipment in hand. A few more shots and an explosion came from the other side of the UFO. A few seconds later the all-clear was sounded across the comms.
As she was beginning to lose consciousness... Incubus reflected on the... fear that she saw in the alien's eyes right before pulling the trigger.

Random Commander 26 minutes ago

Randy Commanderson leaned back in her seat on the transport vehicle, the burns from countless alien grenades once again stinging and burning. Keep this up and she'll never get a date. She turned to Incubus, who seems to have no real name other than his callsign and is clutching his chest which had been shot numerous times. He managed to survive thanks to the flight-capable power armor that works so well for the soldiers.

Randy looked out the window, she's leaving the base in America and being transferred to the one in Africa. She's going to miss hanging out with Milky and Ammon. She would've been able to meet Jay Stank again... if he hadn't died. For the 2nd time. A new batch of genetic recruits are being generated, maybe Jay will be reborn once more.

She shuddered at the thought of herself being cloned. Will she be able to live through that said clone when her regular self dies? Technology says so, but Randy thinks otherwise. It is weird dreaming through the eyes of another recruit, though, which has been a thing since the previous batch of clones. Is this foreshadowing? She doesn't know. She's kind of scared...

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #74: Psi Amp!!
« Reply #154 on: January 19, 2015, 06:57:12 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #74: Psi Amp!!

Nice research breakthroughs! 

Medium Mutons!

StrawPoll here:  Should we assault the Sectoid Base in the Pacific?
https://strawpoll.me/3423040

Offline Tetsu

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal!
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2015, 09:36:58 am »
Not yet caught up, I tend to let you publish a few then glut watch them. However. I vote for an all out, explosion heavy invasion of the base. The kind where we explode everything that even glances at us. I vote mass produced blaster-packs.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2015, 03:46:59 pm »
Not yet caught up, I tend to let you publish a few then glut watch them. However. I vote for an all out, explosion heavy invasion of the base. The kind where we explode everything that even glances at us. I vote mass produced blaster-packs.

*mass-produced casualties!! ;)  That blasterpack radius!! :o 

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #75: Improved HandObs!
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2015, 05:43:59 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #75: Improved HandObs!

Mutons and Rookies!! 

What could possibly go wrong???

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #76: Reptiles & Rookies!
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2015, 06:45:11 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #76: Reptiles & Rookies!

5 Rookies! 5 Reptiles!  4 Survivors!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #77: Mexico Medium!
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2015, 05:42:25 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #77: Mexico Medium!

Promotions and Shoutouts in Todays Episode!!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #78: Fleeting Faint!
« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2015, 06:13:30 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #78: Fleeting Faint!

When you drop them, they need to Stay Down!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #79: Elevator Issues!

Those blasted Shafts!

Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #80: Hawaii Bound!!

Time to Assault a Pacific Base!

What could possibly go wrong?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #81: Burning Disk!!
« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2015, 06:02:23 pm »
Let's Play OpenXcom: Up Close and Personal! Ep #81: Burning Disk!!

The Base Assault Continues!  The tension Mounts!

Burn it with Fire!

Offline vlad

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2015, 08:25:32 pm »
Hey, currently at episode #40 so this could get answered down the road, but I have to ask anyway.
I am loosely playing similar scenario and got ethereal terror mission recently. Right of the Skyranger two sectopods were in sight so retreating wasnt an option, it was a must. Just for the sake of "how would it play" I tried it. Let me tell you : unloaded like 20 grenade mix with about 15 HE on single sectopod, had to cheat some mind probe, its research into save to realize that the single sectopod was down to half the hp and rear armor was damaged by 10.
I was glad that I didnt go on that mission, but that forced me into researching the heavy laser which I didnt realize it's long-range, but it was equiped anyway for close-combat the sectopods if we meet them again. Well, now I got landed terror ship with ethereals again, sectopods all over the place. When this was discovered, heavy laser was used (mary-go-round-the-skyranger-landing-gear with one sectopod) and it was disaster. After few rounds I gave up. I tried the blaster packs, but as I was using them first time and the soldiers are pretty low on strength, the result to veteran blaster pack user should be obvious. It did the job, but the guys felt like suicide bombers. And landed UFO just lost its value (well, the ground level was nonexistant after this little skirmish).
So, how do you deal with them ? Is stun damage way to go ?

small edit : i just realized i could have timed those packs better, it wasnt obvious to me at the time of usage :/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 08:33:31 pm by vlad »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2015, 08:57:10 pm »
Hey, currently at episode #40 so this could get answered down the road, but I have to ask anyway.
I am loosely playing similar scenario and got ethereal terror mission recently. Right of the Skyranger two sectopods were in sight so retreating wasnt an option, it was a must. Just for the sake of "how would it play" I tried it. Let me tell you : unloaded like 20 grenade mix with about 15 HE on single sectopod, had to cheat some mind probe, its research into save to realize that the single sectopod was down to half the hp and rear armor was damaged by 10.
I was glad that I didnt go on that mission, but that forced me into researching the heavy laser which I didnt realize it's long-range, but it was equiped anyway for close-combat the sectopods if we meet them again. Well, now I got landed terror ship with ethereals again, sectopods all over the place. When this was discovered, heavy laser was used (mary-go-round-the-skyranger-landing-gear with one sectopod) and it was disaster. After few rounds I gave up. I tried the blaster packs, but as I was using them first time and the soldiers are pretty low on strength, the result to veteran blaster pack user should be obvious. It did the job, but the guys felt like suicide bombers. And landed UFO just lost its value (well, the ground level was nonexistant after this little skirmish).
So, how do you deal with them ? Is stun damage way to go ?

small edit : i just realized i could have timed those packs better, it wasnt obvious to me at the time of usage :/

Thanks a ton for the battle account!  <gulp>
I have yet to meet any ethereals in my play through.  And Sectopods are my nightmare.  (I've even invented a couple of commendations with them in mind specifically).

The only counter that I have programmed in the UpClose pack is the BlasterPack.  and Yep, you are right.  It brings a whole new meaning to "Danger Close."    I imagine using them with flying units might give a bit more standoff capability (esp if explosions are only set to single level like vanilla).  Otherwise suicide bombing it is.  ( see also Janitor base defense against cyberdisks )

The 2x2 unit's vulnerability to damage from below should help with grenades, but most grenades will have difficulty powering through even that armor. 

I'm curious as to the exact type of grenades you were using in your first encounter: standard HE? or HE Packs?  did you try alien grenades, stun grenades (from stun bomb conversion) or flashbangs (the improved flashbangs are pretty strong and may be able to do it)?

And yeah, timing the packs is really tricky.  Every tick is a half turn. 
0=explode at the end of my turn or upon impact if playing with "grenades explode on contact"
1=explode at the end of the enemy turn
2=explode at the end of my next turn ( or if I throw it then)
etc.