Author Topic: Mobile bases  (Read 10634 times)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile bases
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 03:34:58 pm »
i admit i have a story-logic problem with that
The speed you need to stay in orbit is about 8 kilometers per second how do you get that energy and as oversight superior i would ask why not fill the whole structure with an army and use it to land on mars instead flying around the earth - get this thing done man!
so you have a huge base in (air or) space (multiple times bigger than ISS - that you already can see with the naked eye) you know xcom should be a secret from the general public (if i remember my game lore correctly)
giving the aliens such a nice information about our techlevel would incite the same reaction (WTF they are not so primitive - go from slow infiltration to full attack!) as a failed cydonia mission if i would be the alien brain

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 03:44:47 pm »
Nice post, NeoWorm.

If we ever get this mechanics, we can also use it for sea bases - basically undercover X-Com ships!

Offline Vulgar Monkey

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 04:28:10 pm »
If need be, I suppose you could always maintain the covert aspect by reasoning that mobile bases really just represent a bunch of support staff rocking up to a location (disused warehouse, whatever) in a series of tricked-out vans and trailers, and just claiming it as a temporary base of operations after fitting a few spotlights and scribbling a bunch of plans on the nearest whiteboard. Just like in the movies.

Maybe differentiate it ingame by having it only use very limited facilities, and maybe having no innate defense against alien attack. Or maybe just having a base defense equate to a terror mission, after which the location is lost (or compromised if you prefer) and surviving personnel are shipped back to the nearest 'proper' base.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 05:15:17 pm »
For TFTD setting, having all bases floating (or submersible) would fit very well in the theme. If they're as slow as real-life submarines, their mobility is useless for interception, but interesting to change your detection cover according to aliens activity.

Offline Voiddweller

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 11:13:24 pm »
I don't mind a fleet of small ships/convoy of trucks either, each with certain facilities for research/manufacture/storage and stuff. But thing is, it is not much different from mobile base concept itself.
Both just need that 8 pixel square moving around the globe. 

Offline MeatLoaf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 03:03:57 am »
Apart from the basic idea, I think it opens an interesting possibility: a sequel game.

You are the commander of the starship Centaurus. Its five years mission: to explore the galaxy, to look for alien outposts, to intercept incoming UFOs, to learn about alien cultures and technology... And to obliterate it all!

Really, all we need is implementing a star map.

Sounds a lot like the game interceptor should have been :)

Offline Mackus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 04:06:13 pm »
Yes, floating bases in TFTD that actually float. Me want :)