Author Topic: Weapon has Capacity for multiple Ammo Mags  (Read 4130 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Weapon has Capacity for multiple Ammo Mags
« on: August 25, 2014, 04:02:40 am »
Okay so check this out . . . we know the ammo mag carries the ammo capacity for the gun.
But what if the gun can also be loaded up with multiple ammo mags at the same time.

Obviously they would have to be the same kind of ammo magazines.
But you could have more than one loaded into the weapon at a time.

So you could have a 4 Shot Rocket Launcher which is reloaded with Rockets, but each Rocket only carries 1 capacity. So the shooter can dump 4 rockets into the rocket launcher but they will need to store any additional rockets in their backpack/etc one at a time.
Example Image

I mean with stuff like the Halo Rocket Launcher its easy because the launcher has fixed tubes of two shots, but not all weapons are like that, and if you have a launcher that can load multiple individual rounds at a time it may be more balancing or practical to just have each one of them separate.

Or with the Autocannon you can just basically connect one belt of ammunition to the next, in effect stacking up the number of magazines for AC ammo that have been loaded into the weapon

Easy enough to add this . . .
maxMagazines:
(lack of it defaults to 1 if it has any compatibleAmmo)

The companion to this, a different feature but something that might often be used in conjunction with it. . .
ammoPerShot:
(for every time this weapon shoots, it eats this many shots from the magazine, but still only shoots once)

(on a sidenote, I cant seem to find how the HWP Cannon is able to define a capacity of 30 shots for HWP Cannon shells, yet unlike all other weapons "HWP Cannon Shells" ammo is only ordered 1 shot at a time - - thats what reminded me of this suggestion because it looks like the HWP Cannon already does this by accepting up to 30 magazines of HWP Cannon Shells at a time. The aircraft cannon works in a similar way, allowing up to 200 shots, but that means accepting up to 4 magazines of Cannon Rounds which each have a capacity of 50 shots)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:04:36 am by RSSwizard »

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon has Capacity for multiple Ammo Mags
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 06:38:23 am »
(on a sidenote, I cant seem to find how the HWP Cannon is able to define a capacity of 30 shots for HWP Cannon shells, yet unlike all other weapons "HWP Cannon Shells" ammo is only ordered 1 shot at a time - - thats what reminded me of this suggestion because it looks like the HWP Cannon already does this by accepting up to 30 magazines of HWP Cannon Shells at a time. The aircraft cannon works in a similar way, allowing up to 200 shots, but that means accepting up to 4 magazines of Cannon Rounds which each have a capacity of 50 shots)

It's under items:  clipSize is set to 30 for STR_HW_CANNON_SHELLS and similarly for the other ammunitions, not the weapon itself.  I'm not sure of details, but I think it works slightly differently than the craft weapons.

Offline Brian

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 07:24:16 am »
I'm also interested in how STR_HWP_CANNON_SHELLS works.  I was trying to extend Solaris's Plasma Beam mod to load the Plasma Hovertank with either Elerium or Heavy Plasma Clips (whichever is easier), with each item giving an appropriate number of shots (15 or 35).  I don't think it's possible.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 07:26:42 am by Brian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 05:45:09 pm »
I'm also interested in how STR_HWP_CANNON_SHELLS works.  I was trying to extend Solaris's Plasma Beam mod to load the Plasma Hovertank with either Elerium or Heavy Plasma Clips (whichever is easier), with each item giving an appropriate number of shots (15 or 35).  I don't think it's possible.

Nope, it's not possible, sadly. I wanted clips for the minigun tank, since buying 200 bullets individually is a chore, but no deal.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 08:13:27 pm »
I wouldn't bother with this idea as long as the game has a hard-coded reload cost, anyway.

Offline Camalex97

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:33:07 pm »
well one cool thing that could come out of this could be that not only could you load multiple missiles, shells or whatever you could also take the bullets out of partially used magazines and fill up empty ones (since you can make magazines re loadable by default if i remember right) you could also have ammo boxes that a unit could hold and use to replenish the ammo or other units (which would add a role for a quartermaster which i think would be pretty neat) so just a thought