Author Topic: [Suggestion] Upgrade-able base facilities  (Read 2644 times)

Offline neube

• Sergeant
  • Mr. n
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] Upgrade-able base facilities
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:39:20 pm »
Hello everyone! This is my first post here, though I've been playing the Original game on and off for years. I've been tracking OpenXCom for a time as well - then I've forgotten all about it and poof! Magically, it was done and I didn't even feel the wait. It's awesome, by the way.

For the suggestion/question - could we have upgradable base facilities? I got the idea from my constantly-full General Stores and from the fact that adding a third layer to the base missions just for an additional underground level of stores/missiles/whatever seems excessively difficult and impractical (I'm not a programmer, but I know how some fancy requests are making actual developers die a little inside).

What about upgrades, then? Maybe allow building over an existing facility (and if that would prove too pesky, just raze one and install an upgraded version instead)? I thought about rationale behind it and quickly thought of the alien alloys - from the top of my head: "With the discovery of alien alloys, we can now reduce the wasted space in Upgraded General Stores with shelves made of this new material." The stores could therefore hold more stuff (traditional shelves can hold only so many tonnes, right?).

It would be great if the facilities could require special materials - i.e. alloys for the upgraded stores, a bit of Elerium for a Hyperwave decoder, etc.

TL;DR version: could someone kindly enlighten me how possible or impossible upgrading base facilities and requiring special materials for building base facilities would be?

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Upgrade-able base facilities
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 01:04:34 pm »
new buildings with higher capacity: easy to do as a mod
requiring special materials: not possible/only as "find/research alien alloy before X is researchable"

Offline neube

• Sergeant
  • Mr. n
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Upgrade-able base facilities
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 01:28:53 pm »
I thought it might be hard-coded (would be a very a nice option for modders if implemented, though).

What about building over the unupgraded versions of the facilities (without losing the stuff inside/basic capabilities)? I presume it's hard-coded as well...

Who do I talk to about getting (lots of) help with making a fully fledged mod adding upgraded General Stores with its own Ufopaedia entry, base tile and ground-combat tilesets? I'm completely ignorant about modding graphics as of now; I've only done a couple of basic ruleset edits (i.e. statstrings exactly like in XComUtil, etc.).