Author Topic: Asking for graphics help  (Read 6123 times)

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Asking for graphics help
« on: August 21, 2014, 06:12:11 pm »
Hello to all:

For my little personal modding project, an Addon-multiple ruleset to complement the Final Mod Pack, which will be released after I finish my test game, I want to add a "custom made" X-Com autopistol... This is part of a whole new family of powder weapons, because I feel that X-Com should be using "terran" wepons for a longer game-time. I don't like it very much to start getting laser/gauss weapons in the first three or four moths of game time... So the idea is:

- Weapons Tier 0: Vanilla firearms
- Improvement: Alien Alloy ammo for those wepons
- Weapons Tier 0.5: Improved X-Com model firearms, incorporating not only AA ammo but also some Alloys components, so thay are manufacturable and need Alien Alloys to be made. In general they are a small evolutionary step, with moderate improvement over the tier 0 weapons. They are Ok if you have to fight Sectoids, Floaters... Against Snakemen, they start to be inandequate, and forget about fighting Mutons, except you use large rockets and lots of Fragmentation Grenades (power = 75)... :-)
 This "intermediate" family is planned to have two or three level research three. You obtain the first, basic improved models of rifles, etc... and then with the following research levels you get improved heavy wepons (Autocannon, Heavy cannon. Rocket Launcher), also new concept weapons, like assault shotguns, assault grenade launcher, combo rifles (which can fire regular bullets and rifle grenades, or rifles that have under-barrel attachments like short shotguns, grenade launchers, etc)

- Then, the research tree continues with the regular FMP gauss/laser/adv laser, etc...

For this I was planning to include n X-Com Machine Pistol, for which I had seen a very nice graphic of a very "vanilla style" sprite with a shape similar to an UZi or Ingram submachine gun (i.e. with the handel in central position and with the magazine inserted thru it... The problem is that I cannot find in which mos pack this graphic is included...

Anyone can give me a clue with the info I am posting here? I spent a lot of time searcj¡hing fpr it, but no results...

Thanks!!!

Offline LeBashar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Asking for graphics help
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 07:31:08 pm »
There is a uzi in MiB mod

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 08:12:08 pm »
Out of curiosity, do you have an idea of how to approach alternate firing modes? It sounds neat, but I can only think of swapping ammo which is too time consuming to be much use in my experience. Currently, I think you're better off carrying a different gun in your backpack than unloading a gun, putting the clip in your belt and reloading from the belt.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 08:54:48 pm »
If it's this one, it's in the MiB mod:

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 12:08:21 am »
Looks interesting, I might cannibalize it for the FMP. :D

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 12:58:10 am »
Exactly! This is the weapon I was looking for!!! Thanks guys!  8)

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 10:05:12 pm »
Arth,
If ejecting a spent cartridge would just hit the ground instead of filling the open hand, it would not be such an issue at all. 

Alternate firing modes would require a coding change, and rather significant one.  So much of the logic was in the weapon, and pushed down (rightly) to the ammo, that bringing some of that logic back up to the weapon would be a pain and a chore.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 11:56:04 am »
I made this one (it's an adaptation of the pistol, not created from scrash)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:57:38 am by Aldorn »

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 09:51:49 pm »
Very nice icon, Aldorn! I like them very much when they have the same "vanilla style" look, so they don't look aout of place when used along the original icons... Thanks for sharing!  8)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 07:42:38 am »
The idea I always had for it was using more Effective propellant weapons in arranged tiers before broaching the topic of making your own energy weapons. If I make a mod I dont mind if you have already used these ideas.

Rocket Propelled Firearms - replaces laser weapon tech starting research
* PDW . . . 24 round mag @ 45 damage . . . strong burst accuracy (like 80% or 85%)
* Recoilless Rifle . . . 24 round mag @ 55 damage . . . has exploding ammo available.
* BigPak Rifle (8 barrels, fire all at once) . . . 12 round mag @ 85 damage.
But the ammo packs for these are all heavy... the PDW one is 4 pounds, the Rifle one is 6 pounds, the BigPak is 16 pounds. So you can Burst Fire with any of these weapons but you do so at your own risk of ammo depletion.

(basically these are like lightweight Warhammer 40,000K bolters, but they do not have any kick so their burst accuracies are generally high)

Magnum Explosives - initial research topic
* Allows produceable Grenades, Rockets, High Explosives with higher explosive damage
(~80 for a grenade, ~130 for a rocket, ~160 for a HiEX)

Ramjet Rounds - added after alien alloys research, requires magnum explosives
* Adds produceable ammo for all conventional weapons, does +15 armor piercing damage for each weapon and upgrades each magazine to 30 shots (production uses 1 alien alloy unit per mag).

When you go to introduce the Laser Tech . . . skip the pistol . . . and allow direct research into the Riflle or Heavy. But keep their "infinite ammo" so that way they're still better than the ballistic weapons. Raise Laser Rifle accuracy but get rid of its Burst. Raise the Heavy laser damage to 100.

Then to counterbalance the Alien Grenades Id jack up their damage to 160. And id increase its size to 2x1 (horizontal) like a Hi-EX and make it a "big grenade on a stick". Increase E-115 cost to 2 units. The aliens have plenty of inventory to store them in.

Then id make the Blaster Launcher do (reduced to) 160 damage too. Its a flying guided Alien Grenade pretty much. Decrease E-115 cost to 2 units.

Then use the Fusion Torch mod or Acid Projector mod, or create a similar item so that way UFO hulls can still be ripped through.

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 01:44:27 am »
RSSWizerd: Thanks for the ideas/concepts... some good things there! :-)

Another graphics help asking: Anyone has the sprites for the images of the craft weapons which appears in the Ufopaedia screen? In case they are not available, can they be ripped by taking a screenshot of tha ufopaedia page and then making a sprite out of that screenshot? I would like to mod some new (or modified) craft weapons and give new images to them, also to give some already existant wepon systems their distinctive images (like the Craft Alloy Cannon, and Stormlance missile from the FMP).

Thanks!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 10:50:29 am »
Not sure if the colors are perfect, but the palette certainly is good. For the original weapons, check the XCom wiki or scour the net for ripped sprites.

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 07:05:40 pm »
Very good icon, Dioxine! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 07:47:13 pm »
I will be "borrowing" this weapon for sure! Also, thanks to your advice, I found the necessary sprites on line. 8)