Author Topic: Shortest game ever  (Read 16900 times)

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Shortest game ever
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 12:01:22 am »
Sounds interesting, I've never used fire much. :)
However, isn't that quite an exploit in base defence?
IRL everyone would suffocate if you start a large fire in an underground base. It's unfair enough that stores/quarters are indestructible which makes base defence using the corridor base plan way too easy. You can blow the aliens to hell without damaging your base even if you detonate 20 blaster bombs in the corridor.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 12:10:28 am »
However, isn't that quite an exploit in base defence?
IRL everyone would suffocate if you start a large fire in an underground base.

I think the X-Com base should have more advanced vent system than Vietcong tunnels had. :)

It's unfair enough that stores/quarters are indestructible which makes base defence using the corridor base plan way too easy. You can blow the aliens to hell without damaging your base even if you detonate 20 blaster bombs in the corridor.

Nothing is ever a problem if you have enough blaster bombs... :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 12:38:33 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 12:33:57 am »
Which you often do on superhuman, I had hundreds. ::)
Well, still I think there should be some penalty for blowing up your base, it doesn't have to be total destruction of everything behind a severely damaged facility like now but maybe some days of repair which disables the facility and costs you money.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2014, 12:39:11 am »
Well, still I think there should be some penalty for blowing up your base, it doesn't have to be total destruction of everything behind a severely damaged facility like now but maybe some days of repair which disables the facility and costs you money.

Yeah, it makes sense. But I'm not yet prepared to set anything more specific. :)

Offline MeatLoaf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 04:39:18 pm »

Agreed, but then again the moment my base was breached I'd drop blast doors around the hangers and elevator and napalm everything, get my boys up there before the pilot realises and jack the battleship...
If I was alien I wouldnt even dream of trying to get inside the vipers nest, I can tow asteroids in with my space craft and orbital strike the entire area.

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 09:19:53 am »
I once had a base attack on the 3rd day by Sectoids, and I managed to just barely survive it by carefully using proximity grenades, rockets, and heavy cannons with HE rounds.

Then it got attacked again a few days later, and I lost.

That's X-COM, baby!

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 11:50:33 am »
I just had my shortest game ever. Only a couple of days in, my base gets attacked - before any UFO missions. I had researched nothing at this point. My soldiers therefore had no armor and only the basic weapons. They were completely wiped out by cyberdiscs as my rifle-equipped soldiers were useless. I lost the base, and thus the game. This was on superhuman level. Was this just a fluke? My next game I'm in August without a single base attack.

Just had exactly the same experience. No chance for my soldiers, even though they brought down 3 of the 6 cyberdiscs. There wasn't even time for my ordered tank to arrive before the base defense...  :o

Oh and I lost ALL my base facilities in another game as the laboratory blew up. When the mission neded I had to sell EVERYTHING as I had no storage rooms, nothing only 3 hangars and the access lift!!!

Was partially my fault as I used a stupid base layout...  ::)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:32:52 pm by new_civilian »

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 02:02:09 pm »
It's a bug I've been hearing about a lot. On my playthrough, I got two base attacks in the first 3 months. In the original, it was rare to get a base attack before the 5th month.

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 04:14:29 pm »
Your complains and reports are quite pointless without information on game version. There was loads of changes after 1.0, including base defenses and mission timings.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 02:17:37 am »
Mine is: Version 1.0 (13-06-2014)
Might explain some things.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2015, 12:03:26 am »
I have seen this same thing playout on SuperHuman.  HE packs are the only hope, so purchasing some at the start of the game may be your only hope.  Stunrods will Drop a Cyberdisc, but its pretty suicidal trying.

Cheers, Ivan :D

Large Rockets are also good. They have 33% Chance to instantkill a Superhuman Cyberdisc on directhit, i prefer them over HE packs (range).

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2015, 12:04:25 am »
The nice thing about tagging them with a stunrod, is that they won't explode when they drop. :)  Its just braving their fire to get there.

Killing them with Large Rockets also does not explode them btw.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2015, 02:32:56 am »
cause more base defending where you have a base within cluttered up countries. That should punish players who build bases in the EU/ME part of the world where all the money rolls in faster. I'm kidding, don't take that away from me!