Author Topic: Disappearing aliens bug?  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Disappearing aliens bug?
« on: August 18, 2014, 12:32:41 am »
So,

I stun two aliens. I find that they both are "soldiers" therefore not essential to my research requirements.... I figured.... I don't need them alive.

I pick both of their corpses up, and chuck it in a pile, away from the precious artifacts i want.
I chuck a grenade at the pile.

BOOM.

The corpses disappear. But the game doesnt register them as killed... just... as they never were there??

Is this normal?

I remember in Vanilla (well, TFTD), I used to check when aliens were shot down, check their bodies if they are still alive... if they are... i'll leave a grenade, and it'll explode, the corspes remain there, the status changes from stun to dead. obviously, another grenade would destroy the dead bodies then.

using latest nightly build by the way!

EDIT: The game doesnt count the alien as killed when their stunned corspes are destroyed.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:38:25 pm by Recruit69 »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: Disappearing aliens bug?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 12:23:06 pm »
I remember in Vanilla (well, TFTD), I used to check when aliens were shot down, check their bodies if they are still alive... if they are... i'll leave a grenade, and it'll explode, the corspes remain there, the status changes from stun to dead. obviously, another grenade would destroy the dead bodies then.

I'm not 100% sure about TFTD, but I think your memory fails you.

the original game engine treats bodies (live or dead) as objects. those objects have an armor value like any other object in the game. if an explosion exceeds that armor value, the object is deleted. no conversion of live body to dead body, they simply disappear. same with explosives on the ground: if an explosion exceeds their armor value, they don't explode but disappear.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 03:20:44 pm »
Yeah, but they still should count as killed.

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 11:38:56 pm »
I'm not 100% sure about TFTD, but I think your memory fails you.

the original game engine treats bodies (live or dead) as objects. those objects have an armor value like any other object in the game. if an explosion exceeds that armor value, the object is deleted. no conversion of live body to dead body, they simply disappear. same with explosives on the ground: if an explosion exceeds their armor value, they don't explode but disappear.

I just played TFTD on Steam, I can confirm that it "kills" the stunned corspes.

I also just quickly played UFO Vanilla on Steam, it is exactly the same as OpenXcom, with the aliens not being registered as killed when their bodies are destroyed.