aliens

Author Topic: HWP options  (Read 12559 times)

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: HWP options
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 10:14:54 am »
Another suggestion for HWP handling

4. When adding an HWP to the skyranger you can only add them, if it is fully loaded with ammunition. The warning is fine. However, it would be better to optionally allow to take the partially loaded or unloaded HWP with you.
It cann still be very useful for scouting or some shooting.

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 12:15:28 pm »
3. Another thing I would suggest to change is how the clipsize of HWPs is handled in the ruleset:
- For craft weapons and handheld weapons the clipsize gives the amount of ammo in one ammo-item.
- However, for HWP ammo clipsize gives the amount of ammo-items you can put in your HWP and each ammo-item has by default only one shot.

In my opinion the clipsize for HWPs should be handled like the clipsize for craft weapons. This is much more flexible, in line with the other clipsize tags, and one can design HWP-ammo-items with more than 1 shot. 

PR sent: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/895

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 09:48:03 pm »
Ok, now with that you can justify anything.
Personally, i like some kind of in-game logic, but that is of course a matter of taste.

Anyway, I would appreciate it very much, if one can modify the explosion and corpse recovery behavior via the ruleset.

In Game Logic:  The Cyberdisc is an advanced weapons platform designed to battle the enemies of Sectoids.  It is a terror weapon designed to close in on its target and annhilate it with no prejudice.  The sectoids were pleased to that the Cyberdisc's internal power supply explodes with incredible force upon breach.  It made their weapon that much more lethal against its flaws. 

However, the Cyberdisc has a critical design flaw.  When fighting in waves, it was important for the destruction of one Cyberdisc to not cause a chain reaction that fraticides.  Such a fraticide could halt an offensive in its tracts, destroying a wave of Cyberdiscs, and any Sectoid within range.  When exposed to massive increase in heat from explosive or incendiary damage, the Cyberdisc internal coolants overload and spills.  When the Cyberdisc has underwent too much damage and the coolant system is flooded, its internal power source gets exposed to the leaked coolants, killing the needed reaction temperature to maintain itself.  The Cyberdisc collapses in a heap. 

A necessary evil to prevent fraticide...but an exploit that XCOM agents must use wisely to take a Cyberdisc out of commission in order to dissassemble.

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 01:17:08 am »
It would be pretty cool to be able to rename HWPs just like you can with SHIVs in XCOM 2012. Though I'm not sure the best way to do that other than listing them in the SOLDIERS screen...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 01:31:49 am »
It would be pretty cool to be able to rename HWPs just like you can with SHIVs in XCOM 2012. Though I'm not sure the best way to do that other than listing them in the SOLDIERS screen...

My first will be named Frank the Tank.

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 09:51:19 pm »
PR sent: https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/895

Looks very good. Hopefully it will be merged soon.

Will it also work when you assign for example heavy rockets (from the handheld launcher) as ammunition for the rocket HWP? It could result in problems in the skyranger equipment screen, when adding the HWP and the amount of heavy rockets in the storage must be updated.

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 10:29:13 pm »
Will it also work when you assign for example heavy rockets (from the handheld launcher) as ammunition for the rocket HWP? It could result in problems in the skyranger equipment screen, when adding the HWP and the amount of heavy rockets in the storage must be updated.

hmm... you are right. Tank with heavy rockets adds, removes and works well, but list of ammunition in the Skyranger do not wants to be updated.
So, i'll fix it.

I tested:
Code: [Select]
items:
  - type: STR_TANK_ROCKET_LAUNCHER
    compatibleAmmo:
      - STR_LARGE_ROCKET

Offline clownagent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 07:10:34 pm »
In Game Logic:  The Cyberdisc is an advanced weapons platform designed to battle the enemies of Sectoids.  It is a terror weapon designed to close in on its target and annhilate it with no prejudice.  The sectoids were pleased to that the Cyberdisc's internal power supply explodes with incredible force upon breach.  It made their weapon that much more lethal against its flaws. 

However, the Cyberdisc has a critical design flaw.  When fighting in waves, it was important for the destruction of one Cyberdisc to not cause a chain reaction that fraticides.  Such a fraticide could halt an offensive in its tracts, destroying a wave of Cyberdiscs, and any Sectoid within range.  When exposed to massive increase in heat from explosive or incendiary damage, the Cyberdisc internal coolants overload and spills.  When the Cyberdisc has underwent too much damage and the coolant system is flooded, its internal power source gets exposed to the leaked coolants, killing the needed reaction temperature to maintain itself.  The Cyberdisc collapses in a heap. 

A necessary evil to prevent fraticide...but an exploit that XCOM agents must use wisely to take a Cyberdisc out of commission in order to dissassemble.

Interesting point, but let us have a serious discussion.  ;)
Ifyou assume the aliens were clever they would just suppress the self destruction of the first cyberdisc to not destroy other cyberdiscs/aliens nearby. As you said "the Cyberdisc is an advanced weapons platform" so it can easily detect friendly units nearby. If those are detected the self destruction could be prohibited.

Instead the aliens allow the full destruction of the first cyberdisc (hit by normal ammunition), which triggers the explosion, which kills friendly cyberdiscs nearby. And after the death of those the protection mechanism you described is activated. This sounds too inefficient for clever aliens.