This simple mod was inspired by XcomUtil's Alternate Laser Tech option which altered laser and plasma weapons to make the game challenging or at least different. This does largely the same thing but with my own changes.
To install it, just put the attached file into the data\Ruleset folder and enable it in the game. Because this modifies laser, plasma, and fusion research, manufacture, and items, it might not be compatible with other mods that also change them.
Here's a list of changes:
- Most laser weapons now require elerium to manufacture, with some also needing alien alloys.
- Plasma research progression is now similar to laser research. That means you must research the plasma pistol (and clip) first before you can research the rifle, then the heavy, and then the craft cannon (and then the defenses but who uses those?).
- Plasma guns, blaster launcher, and hovertanks now take twice as long to manufacture, and the three researched craft weapons (laser cannon, plasma cannon, fusion ball launcher) take 5 times as long.
- Heavy laser now does 120 damage and has improved accuracy. It's really just XcomUtil's Improved Heavy Laser implemented here because hey, it's elerium-powered now.
- Heavy plasma now does 130 damage, but no longer has auto shot (heresy!). It's practically TFTD's sonic cannon, but without the really stupid TU cost.
- Laser cannon range is now 34, plasma cannon range is now 40, and fusion ball launcher can now hold 4 fusion balls. Basically, I just used the example from the wiki
This should make the strategic and economic game much more challenging... hopefully. Any and all testing and feedback is welcome, to make sure everything works right and everything's balanced. Download it either from the attachment on this post or on the Mod Portal here:https://www.openxcom.com/mod/alternate-weapon-tech
And that's about it. Enjoy