aliens

Author Topic: [SOUND] High Quality Sound Replacement Pack (44KHz/Stereo)  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[SOUND] High Quality Sound Replacement Pack (44KHz/Stereo)
« on: August 03, 2014, 10:17:22 pm »
X-COM's sounds are between 8000KHz and 11,000KHz, which just don't sound very good at all on modern sound equipment. But what to do, other than replace them with completely different sounds from other games?

I've talked about it before, and now I'm actually doing it. I found the sound library where all of X-COM's original sounds were pulled from, so that a 44KHz Stereo replacement pack could be made.

It'll take some time to scour through them all to replace each one.

Here is a preview of some I have found so far (however currently this is not setup to work in-game just yet) separated into 1.0 sounds and 1.4 sounds

Once I find them all, I'll get it useable ingame

I'm not sure how I should distribute this when it's done. Should I have two different versions for the 1.0 and 1.4 sounds, or should I do like one of my old mods and mix them so that things like pistols, rifles, and heavies use their own unique sounds? I think I'm going to go for the latter.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:22:00 pm by Tarvis »

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [SOUND] High Quality Sound Replacement Pack (44KHz/Stereo)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 11:43:15 pm »
Oh, uh, I've already started working on this, I've made a fair amount of progress. If we're aiming for the same thing, maybe we could pool our resources?

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 01:00:43 am »
Oh, my bad, I didn't see that you'd already started on this. There's been such an influx of new mods since 1.0 hit that I haven't kept up with what's new.

But yeah, that'd be fine. The main sounds I'm having trouble finding are the male deaths. I think the Plasma firing sound is a modified Laser Gun, Single Shot.

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 01:12:11 am »
Totally cool, I can't count the number of times I've done the same thing. :P

I pretty much second everything in that last sentence; the male screams are proving difficult to find, and I was also suspecting that the plasma sound was just a modified laser. I also have a hunch that the sectoid/floater death is some kind of heavily processed animal sound, but that hardly narrows it down.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 01:51:49 am by Gifty »