aliens

Author Topic: Ablative armor  (Read 5496 times)

Offline LeBashar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Ablative armor
« on: August 03, 2014, 06:12:30 pm »
Well, I don't know where to ask this : how work the reduction of the armor when something take damage (not the effect of the armor, but the wear of armor itself) ? I want to make something like some abaltive armor, which could stop nearly everything in the begining, but should be damaged at each shot stoped, and so, could finish being broken and don't stop nothing.

Must should I use heavy armor stat but no damage modifier (maybe like a 100 frontal armor with 100% for any damage), or should use huge damage modifier and small armor (like 20-25 armor, but 20-30% resist) ?

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ablative armor
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 06:21:44 pm »
such thing is currently not possible

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 08:11:29 pm »
A bonus of Health ?

Offline LeBashar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 08:26:19 pm »
I refer to https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Damage at the end of the page, it is say there will be 1 pt of armor destruct for each 1-9 pt of health, and theoreticaly, we can substract armor pt one by one if the damage inflict is only one health for each shot.

But the page say it could be have some errors in the explanation.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:06:25 pm »
you loose 10% of the health loss additional as armor wear
so you lose 30 health -> 3 armor points less
so best case flying suit frontal attack = 110 armor you can loose 1100 health .. but you only have at most 60
so if you loose 50 of your 60 (cap) health your armor looses 5 points
there is no ruleset option to change that formula

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 09:25:48 pm »
so best case flying suit frontal attack = 110 armor you can loose 1100 health .. but you only have at most 60
but you can be healed :P

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 09:44:26 pm »
but you can be healed :P
does not matter
Spoiler:
10 damage=1armor loss= 1 or 2 or 3 wounds
iirc  the bestcase would be 10 damage=1armor loss + 3 wounds healed = only 4 health loss
so you can get 12 shots with 10 damge and 3 wounds (hp=50) and receive -14 armor

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 01:33:15 am »
There was a suggestion to be able to loose Armour even if no damage was dealt to HP. I think it'd make sense.

Offline LeBashar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 11:16:40 am »
you're right, this could be solve my problem but it could make some news : what is the point of damaging a armor tank with a pistol ? the original mechanic with a threshold under there is no damage at all is realistic. Even 10 000 pistol round will not damage the armor of a tank.

I've made few try but even with the TFTD damage formula, the damage variation is to huge for make something like an ablative armor.

Nevermind, it was just an idea for the lasts steps of my mod. I will search anything else.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 02:03:18 pm »
you're right, this could be solve my problem but it could make some news : what is the point of damaging a armor tank with a pistol ? the original mechanic with a threshold under there is no damage at all is realistic. Even 10 000 pistol round will not damage the armor of a tank.

Yeah, you're right; this would be silly. I guess only hits within a certain range would cause armour damage, if it's lower than this it's completely ineffective.