Author Topic: [FINISHED] Let's play OpenXcom (Hawaii challenge!)  (Read 22535 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
[FINISHED] Let's play OpenXcom (Hawaii challenge!)
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:23:04 am »
Let's play OpenXcom (Hawaii challenge!) is finally here...

Superhuman, Ironman and only a single base in Hawaii.

Using some awesome mods too: Luke's Extra UFOs, Luke's Expanded Terror Mission and Scout Drone

For every fallen soldier before Cydonia mission (if we ever get there ;-), $1 donation to OpenXcom... because they're just awesome!

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe0K-GUDQkNIhI8tBeYKHa_VoVYeVW67R
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 03:35:56 pm by Meridian »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: Let's play OpenXcom (Hawaii challenge)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 07:14:33 am »
This is going to be epic.   And... I'm not sure it can be done. :D
Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play OpenXcom (Hawaii challenge!)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 11:09:38 am »
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:51:10 am by Meridian »

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 07:52:53 pm »
I like your comment, "we could have save more civilians, but at least they took shots instead of us" typical commander let the civies die so long as the soldiers live :)

Nice las missions, and did seem like there were a few extra cyberdiscs

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 08:18:46 pm »
I like your comment, "we could have save more civilians, but at least they took shots instead of us" typical commander let the civies die so long as the soldiers live :)

Well, I take good care of my soldiers... and civilians should have hidden themselves in buildings/underground... I can't help them if they run around like hamsters ;-)
Btw. I still have about 10 slots left for new recruits... if you (or anyone) would like to join the team, just let me know what nickname would you like...

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 08:07:58 pm »
I'll join if you like. Just use my forum name.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 09:32:42 pm »
I love this Let's Play.

I noticed you said you don't like smoke in video 3. Why!? in a night mission it is an equalizer and with a scout tank to pop it you can take the cake. 4 tiles of smoke means that your guys are invisible.

In turn 1 Bjorn could of been saved by smoking the Skyranger and would of allowed you to deploy more soldiers to be used on turn 2. By smoking the Skyranger your soldiers could have responded better in turn 2 and eliminated possible cover and concealment the aliens were using with HE, Rocket, and Cannon fire. You applying smoke to an alien only benefits the alien on a night mission if you don't kill him on that turn, but luckily you did  :). Incendiary ammo is useless except on a night mission by using it in an auto cannon to light up wide areas using autofire.

in Video 4 you did awesome. Merlin is one lucky guy.

I'm loving watching this. Your tactics are sound and you don't make too many dumb moves.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 09:37:28 pm »
I'm loving watching this. Your tactics are sound and you don't make too many dumb moves.

I have to agree! Meridian is an amazing player!  I've learned a ton from him, but I have nowhere near his skill!  Maybe that makes my vids more comedic, idk. XD

I do like the smoke, myself and really use my scout drones to deploy it.  In my first terror mission, I had 5 aliens in sight off the ramp and smoke saved my bacon. 

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 10:00:12 pm »
Hi

I am hard of hearing, so you probably mentioned the answer to below in one of your videos.... any reason why you picked a small island far away from the big lands for a base location?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 10:44:44 pm »
I'll join if you like. Just use my forum name.

@the_third_curry: you will be hired at the next opportunity... probably in the next episode :)

I noticed you said you don't like smoke in video 3. Why!? in a night mission it is an equalizer and with a scout tank to pop it you can take the cake. 4 tiles of smoke means that your guys are invisible.

@HelmetHair: I know that smoke is very useful (and I will be using it a lot during the terror mission)... I just don't like the visual aspect of it (the effect/animation).

I'm glad you like watching the LP... and I love the comments and interaction/feedback. Btw. if you like I can recruit you as a soldier... it brings a whole new perspective when your life's at stake... I know, because I am in Ivan Dogovich's LP and boy do I fear for my life :D

I have to agree! Meridian is an amazing player!  I've learned a ton from him, but I have nowhere near his skill!  Maybe that makes my vids more comedic, idk. XD
I do like the smoke, myself and really use my scout drones to deploy it.  In my first terror mission, I had 5 aliens in sight off the ramp and smoke saved my bacon. 

@Ivan: You're too kind! But all that flattering will get you nowhere, you'll still be in the breach team on the next mission... no slacking :D

@all: Go check Ivan's videos too!... he's probably making a few more mistakes, but the result is hilarious (e.g. setting the skyranger on fire :P)

Hi, I am hard of hearing, so you probably mentioned the answer to below in one of your videos.... any reason why you picked a small island far away from the big lands for a base location?

@Recruit69: That is the theme of the series... I will try to finish the game with only a single base at the most remote location surrounded only by ocean... you can place your bets now :-)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 11:30:22 pm »

@HelmetHair: I know that smoke is very useful (and I will be using it a lot during the terror mission)... I just don't like the visual aspect of it (the effect/animation).

Ah! much becomes clear.

Sure, why not I'll be a guinea pig. Maybe I'll get to go to Cydonia!!! (or die in a hole somewhere :) )

-HH

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 12:04:32 am »
Ah sorry I see!

Was hoping for extra tactical tips I could learn from, and wondered what were the advantages of having a remote location but obviously not! Just increased difficulty!

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 01:42:41 am »
Ah sorry I see!

Was hoping for extra tactical tips I could learn from, and wondered what were the advantages of having a remote location but obviously not! Just increased difficulty!

One of the tactical tips from this type of challenge is the use of graphs and patrolling with craft, instead of relying on Hyperwave decoders to track alien activity. ;)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 06:46:10 am »
Meridian,

I'm Finally all caught up on your let's play videos.

I am SUPER impressed with how you handled the terror mission. Use of cover and risk management was superb and a loss of only 4 soldiers in Jan on superhuman is stunning. I could not match that and tip my hat to you.

I had a few questions for you, if you do not mind.

1. Where are you from? you speak English with a slight accent(better than me) but grammar and word choice point to British English being taught to you vs American English. Belgium?

2. How old are you, I can guess,  but my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

3. 20 years playing Xcom? holy shit.... me too :) Do you prefer TFTD or UFO defense?

4. You played the new Xcom or Xenonauts?

5. Did you play fallout tactics??

-HH

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 08:17:57 am »
I had a few questions for you, if you do not mind.
1. Where are you from? you speak English with a slight accent(better than me) but grammar and word choice point to British English being taught to you vs American English. Belgium?
2. How old are you, I can guess,  but my curiosity has gotten the better of me.
3. 20 years playing Xcom? holy shit.... me too :) Do you prefer TFTD or UFO defense?
4. You played the new Xcom or Xenonauts?
5. Did you play fallout tactics??

1. I was born in Czechoslovakia (now Slovakia), currently living in Switzerland and I was taught British English at school.
2. 32 and counting :)
3. OpenXcom of course... no seriously, I'd rather not answer that question... I love both.
4. I own both, but didn't really have time to play either yet :-(
5. Again, I own the game, but never played it... I've seen others play it though :)