aliens

Author Topic: Recommended mods?  (Read 9633 times)

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Recommended mods?
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:43:08 pm »
Hey folks, new to openXcom {loving the remake, awesome job to the devs~!} and I'm looking into mods and wondering what might be good ones to go with. I'm partial to changes that increase complexity and give me {and aliens, presumably} more options to work with, and my pet peeves are the Skyranger ramp and overpowered PSI {both for me and aliens}.

Any suggestions?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Recommended mods?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:24:23 pm »
Hi!

The overpowered psi is easily remedied by the UFOextender_Psionic_Line_Of_Fire.rul that is supplied with the Openxcom nightly builds. I'm using them myself; it makes the game a bit easier, but also prevents you from owning the aliens with psi capable troops in late game.

As for other stuff, well, I wouldn't be a good salesman without offering the Final Mod Pack, a combination of around 60 mods made mostly (though not only) by yours truly, and weighed against each other to provide a consistent experience. It features a ramp-less Skyranger that is available after researching Alien Alloys. :)

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:29:22 am »
Either the FMP that make all the job for you  :)

Or, if you don't want an all-in-one mod, you must at least use the following :
- Lukes Extra Ufos : many new maps for ufos !
- Terrain/Missions Pack : many new terrains for battlescape !
- Robin's Alien mods : add new alien races of top quality (they are like vanilla alien races !) => at least Gazer and Cover (Waspite) are well tested, eventually wait a little for the last one provided Anthropod

Go there to find last versions https://www.openxcom.com/

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 01:00:41 am »
As for other stuff, well, I wouldn't be a good salesman without offering the Final Mod Pack, a combination of around 60 mods made mostly (though not only) by yours truly, and weighed against each other to provide a consistent experience. It features a ramp-less Skyranger that is available after researching Alien Alloys. :)

You definitely are a good salesman sir since I wasn't aware that you had made most of the mods on the FMP ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 01:14:56 am »
You definitely are a good salesman sir since I wasn't aware that you had made most of the mods on the FMP ;)

Stupid... English... language!

Of course I meant the compilation was made mostly by me, not the mods. :P (Though a few indeed are mine)

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 05:42:51 am »
While technically not a mod, definitely look into ranged-base accuracy in the Advanced options menu if you want a more varied gameplay experience. Solarius Scorch's Alien Armory Expanded adds in some new weapons that work particularly well with this option. Also, I'll second the ones Aldorn mentioned if you're not into getting an entire compilation.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 08:40:17 am »
To build on the mention of the Alien Armoury Expanded: I will be a good salesman and recommend you try the XCom Armoury Expanded.

It is the XCom pendent to the Alien Expansion and is meant to improve your capabilities in line with the improvements aliens get in their Expansion. It is a modest compilation of mods that stay close to the vanilla  game, trying to tune it rather than outright change it and works by itself or with a few recommended mods.

Plus, if you are interested in modding, it is a work in progress, so you can influence its development with your feedback or even contribute and get into the wonderful world of modding yourself!

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 01:49:38 am »
Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll start off with the FMP and see where that takes me, then experiment with the others as well.

Cheers!

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 01:55:44 am »
Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll start off with the FMP and see where that takes me, then experiment with the others as well.

Cheers!
If you start with FMP, you should not have to experiment many others, as it includes most of them  ;)

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 02:02:49 am »
So, just to check, I just need to enable finalmodpack at the mods screen - no additional messing with options required?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 02:10:17 am »
So, just to check, I just need to enable finalmodpack at the mods screen - no additional messing with options required?

Nope, that's all, assuming you have copied all folders correctly (Ruleset, Resources, MAPS and so on). Also, it requires nightly build openxcom_git_master_2014_07_03_0820 or later.

I would also like to add that this works best with the UFO Extender Accuracy option, but it's not required if you don't like it.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 02:35:01 am »
Yeah, I've been looking through the new weapons and the sniper rifle combined with infinite range would be a little... unbalancing.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 03:31:18 am »
Hmmm. Are there any known bugs with it? I'm playing, and the game exits to desktop from geoscape once the time reaches a certain point.

Or should I file a bug report {slightly OT, I guess} and if so, which files should I include?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 03:40:44 am »
Hmmm. Are there any known bugs with it? I'm playing, and the game exits to desktop from geoscape once the time reaches a certain point.

Or should I file a bug report {slightly OT, I guess} and if so, which files should I include?

Can you please provide some details in the mod thread? And attach a save, if possible?

My bet is that the game crashes on spawning a UFO that doesn't sit well with the campaign, usually when the mod is enabled over an already running campaign or an older mod, or when some other mod was disabled...