aliens

Author Topic: Ammo - Weapon Question  (Read 4757 times)

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Ammo - Weapon Question
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:47:50 am »
Anyone knows if there is a limit to the number of ammo types/magazines that can be assigned to a weapon? For example, three is the norm (HE, AP, I) and I have seen weapons with four types of associated ammo, but can be assigned a higher number of ammo types, for example six or seven? Will they be correctly shown in the Ufopedia screen? Thanks!

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ammo - Weapon Question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 03:29:37 am »
Anyone knows if there is a limit to the number of ammo types/magazines that can be assigned to a weapon? For example, three is the norm (HE, AP, I) and I have seen weapons with four types of associated ammo, but can be assigned a higher number of ammo types, for example six or seven? Will they be correctly shown in the Ufopedia screen? Thanks!
I think you could have tested it yourself and report here  :P

I made the test for you, as it took me two minutes : I added 10 ammo to pistol
=> No problem to use it with any ammo (at least it does not refuse to load ammunition in pistol)
=> On the other hand, only three are displayed in ufopaedia

A work around, if you insist to set 6 or 7 ammo to a same weapon, is to add ufopaedia for ammunition (as I did here for example) and report in these ufopaedia it is ammo for your weapon. It is not so nice, but I don't think there is another way to do it

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:31:26 am by Aldorn »

Offline LeBashar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:10:45 pm »
The best way to avoid misunderstanding ufopedia with invisible ammo seem to make an upgraded weapon which can fire three another ammo, and so on.

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 12:31:12 am »
Aldorn: Well, I asked it here in first place because I supposed someone had made test before... You are very kind to make the testing and reporting back here! Thank you!
I just wanted to mod some bigger capacity (also heavier) ammo magazines for the Auto-Cannon, because I am focused in a mod about improved "conventional" (Firearms) X-Com weapons... As the Auto Cannon already has three ammo variants (four counting the Alien Alloys ammo present in the Final Mod Pack), in practice this modding would give us six different magazines for the weapon.

I was following the development of your modded Ufopaedia... About that nice effort: Do you know if it is possible to add new sections to the Ufopedia, or the modder can only change the existing ones and is stuck with the ten (I think) current sections present in the game? It would be nice to be able to make a "Ammunition" section of the Ufopedia where pages can be added wich shows a larger number of ammo types for a weapon (without showing the weapon itself).

LeBashar: I already thought about your approach, but I just wanted to have a light ammo magazine for the autocannon to be used by weaker soldiers, and a heavy magazine with more ammo for the stronger troops... I suppose I just can mod a "light Auto cannon" and a "haevy Auto Cannon", but I liked the concept of "ammo interchangeability"...

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 12:38:04 am »
hm " (without showing the weapon itself)." that can be accomplished
make a weapon with a fully transparent image and no buy/manufacture option
and assign the three new ammo types to the invisible weapon you can use the weapon ufopeadia text to write more about how alloy and/or elerium makes everything better
its no new ufopaedia section  adding sections is a bit complicated since ufopaedia its not a scrollable list i was told as i asked the devs about introducing a new section there

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 12:59:13 am »
Maybe add all 6 ammo to the AutoCannon, then create a new weapon named "AutoCannon, continued" which is researched at the start but impossible to buy or make. It would look exactly the same as the AutoCannon and use only the 3 new ammo types. The UFOPaedia page for this new weapon should go straight after the regular AutoCannon (using listOrder), the flavor text can be about new ammo and the 3 ammo types shown would be the 3 new ones.

The final result would look like a 2 page entry on autocannons which displays all 6 ammo types. Actually.. I might do that with the XCom Armoury too..!

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 01:25:19 am »
Guys: Thanks for the savvy advice! I will test this elegant approach!

Arthanor: Tha X-Com Armoury is a very nice work! Congratulations!  :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 02:07:20 am »
hm " (without showing the weapon itself)." that can be accomplished
make a weapon with a fully transparent image and no buy/manufacture option

:) Or you could do it the fun way:

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 02:17:32 am »
that looks like fun
my idea was more the fast and cheap (in regard to work time involved) solution :)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 03:46:15 am »
Yeah - more work, plus it's just a bitmap so any values would need to be manually edited... And adding UFO font to the pictures looks like a not-fun thing... but you could have 6 or even 12 types of ammo on a single screen :)