aliens

Author Topic: [CRAFTS] Material for Modders (Skyranger, SkyTrooper, SkySpotter, ...)  (Read 35655 times)

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
A small mod, more for people who are looking for some alternatives at the beginning

Skyspotter
      -> up to 6 soldiers
      -> +100% radar range
Preview here

Skywatcher
      -> up to 10 soldiers
      -> +50% radar range
Preview here

Skytrooper :
      -> up to 18 soldiers
      -> 2 side doors
      -> 2 versions : either WE or GE
Preview here

Skyliner :
      -> up to 22 soldiers but 18 is recommended
      -> 2 side doors
      -> 2 versions : either WE or GE
Preview here

Skycruiser :
      -> up to 26 soldiers but 18 or 20 is recommended depending on version
      -> 4 versions
            - either WE or GE*
            - either 2LD or 4SD
Preview here

Skylander :
      -> up to 30 soldiers but 22 is recommended for LD versions (for SD versions, you will have soldiers directly exposed in any situation)
      -> 4 versions
            - either WE or GE*
            - either 4SD or 2SD + 2 LD
Preview here

Included ruleset is an example of how making them researchable and manufacturable ; Feel free to adapt any property at your convenience...

I don't provide ufopaedia pictures, others are far better for doing this

Meaning :
- GE = Ground Engines ; WE = Wing Engines
- LD = Large Doors ; SD = Small Doors

*: Engines installed under the aircraft (also on the ground) to provide tactical protection for harder mods
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:23:08 pm by Aldorn »

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Skyrangers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:28:08 pm »
Very nice work! I like the Skytrooper more than the Improved Skyranger that is present in the Final Mod Pack. About the skyspotter, I think it looks a little too chubby... Just my humble opinion, but I think it would look better if made longer (also improve capacity to six troopers or 2 soldiers and a HWP) and given a bigger radar radome.

Thanks for sharing!

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:31:31 pm »
Very nice work! I like the Skytrooper more than the Improved Skyranger that is present in the Final Mod Pack. About the skyspotter, I think it looks a little too chubby... Just my humble opinion, but I think it would look better if made longer (also improve capacity to six troopers or 2 soldiers and a HWP) and given a bigger radar radome.

Thanks for sharing!
You are right, I wondered if I made 4-10-16 or 6-12-18...
But I like the impossibility to load a tank on such a small aircraft

Also I will quickly :
- correct this version as I noticed I forgot the XCOM stars for the spotter and skyranger
- make a second version of 6-12-18

Update => V0.3
- add the X sign on 04-10-16
- included a second version 06-12-18
- not tested but should work
- do not activate both mod together, or the last one activated will be taken into account => better to build your own mod, it is not so hard, all is included, just have to play with values   :)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:47:38 pm by Aldorn »

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 01:43:10 am »
Aldorn: Thanks for giving us the choice to use the crafts with different carrying capacities! Well thought!

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [CRAFTS] Material for Modders (Skyranger, SkyTrooper, SkySpotter, ...)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 02:10:27 am »
As asked, I added a new version of the SkyGuardian with 2 side doors

I also provide two versions, one with "floor tiles" to simulate the doors opened, one without
Theoretically, this mean two more soldiers could be positioned on the "floor tiles" (obviously, in case modder raises craft capacity of +2)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:12:20 am by Aldorn »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 02:22:26 am »
Thank you! I will test these new designs in the XCom Armoury Expanded and let you know how they work.

Should help with the "deployment traffic jam" I have been experiencing! (If not with the: "Getting shot as you deploy isse..!)

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 02:34:16 am »
Hello Aldorn: Just a question... The SkyGuardian is another variant of the craft or you just renamed the SkyTrooper? Thanks!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 03:30:57 am »
Actually, it's a slightly different craft. It was made by someone on the forum as a resources, named the "Sky Transit", as a 16 troopers craft. I have added it to the "XCom Armoury Expanded" as I liked the idea of a stepping stone from the Skyranger to the Avenger (Who uses the lightning any ways?!), but renamed it the Skyguardian to fit with my naming pattern:

Skyranger -> Skywarden (= low rent, faster alien alloy skyranger) -> Skyguardian ( = lower rent, even faster, has one weapon)

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 03:53:15 am »
Hello Aldorn: Just a question... The SkyGuardian is another variant of the craft or you just renamed the SkyTrooper? Thanks!
Hi,
Do you have some more idea for a different Skyranger ?  ::)

I tried to make on with 4 side doors, but it was too dangerous

Offline XCOMFan419

• Colonel
  • Wait I'm still here I swear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 04:22:43 am »
Hi,
Do you have some more idea for a different Skyranger ?  ::)

I tried to make on with 4 side doors, but it was too dangerous
Maybe it's worth the risk. Usually with the Skytrooper most of the soldiers in the mid section stay in the Skytrooper for the first turn due to the sheer length of the Skytrooper. Unless if you want to make an entirely new Skyranger with a 3 or 4 block width, then adding two more doors near the mid section would be helpful.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 05:33:42 am »
Maybe it's worth the risk. Usually with the Skytrooper most of the soldiers in the mid section stay in the Skytrooper for the first turn due to the sheer length of the Skytrooper. Unless if you want to make an entirely new Skyranger with a 3 or 4 block width, then adding two more doors near the mid section would be helpful.
If you are speaking of 4 side doors, have a look at this one (I mean the second one)

I have to say that it was fun, but given that I play with many aliens around, this was too difficult

Either I have it yet, or I could remake it if you need
Files are still attached  :)

The small platforms in front of every door is interesting because you may fight with some nice LOF then go back to SkyRanger. If you are well organized (also not too much soldiers), you can even manoeuvre so that many soldiers fire the same round

I could make a version with 4 side doors from the XXL of current thread, as ground engines are very useful especially when you land on a border : jump and hide behind, or between both engines => many strategic places to post soldiers. I think I will do this now

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:46:58 am by Aldorn »

Offline XCOMFan419

• Colonel
  • Wait I'm still here I swear
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 06:11:17 am »
If you are speaking of 4 side doors, have a look at this one (I mean the second one)

I have to say that it was fun, but given that I play with many aliens around, this was too difficult

Either I have it yet, or I could remake it if you need
Files are still attached  :)

The small platforms in front of every door is interesting because you may fight with some nice LOF then go back to SkyRanger. If you are well organized (also not too much soldiers), you can even manoeuvre so that many soldiers fire the same round

I could make a version with 4 side doors from the XXL of current thread, as ground engines are very useful especially when you land on a border : jump and hide behind, or between both engines => many strategic places to post soldiers. I think I will do this now
Yes I've already downloaded that :P

I'm clueless with maps and routes and stuff so it's...better that you do it.

But it sounds like a good idea. I'd like to try it out if you have no time to test.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 06:26:13 am »
Also new version V0.4 including two XXL crafts : Skycruiser and Skylander

The problem is that soldiers don't use internal tiles in priority, so I removed the floor tiles of the side (rear) doors

The Skycruiser should be limited to 20 to avoid this issue, or the floor tiles of side (front) doors

The Skylander and its 30 soldiers is the biggest one I will create !

This should be enough to assault any alien base even in my future mod

Beware that I took a risk for the Skylander, in some situation (especially on the border) a tank should be able to disembark, but could be unable to board again

EDIT : An XCom ensign is missing...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:57:58 am by Aldorn »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 07:34:09 am »
So many skyrangers! That's awesome. I believe the FMP Skyranger v2 comes from the same original as my "Skyguardian", as it looks exactly the same: weird blocks at the end of the tail and lying on the ground. It was made by civilian, and posted here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2048.msg19784#msg19784

I actually like the raised Skyranger more, as it gives you extra space down below to get soldiers out. Of course, the weird "walking down the ramp costs more TUs than walking around it" issue remains, which is I think why civilian changed it. It also makes sense for the plane to lower itself so it is less exposed to enemy fire.

Of course, it means more soldiers exposed but if you don't want that, just don't move them out ;)

Also.. The engines under the plane might work tactically, but physically, I have a hard time picturing a plane that would work like this. With engines so off center, wouldn't it just spin all the time?

I need to learn how to mod transports so I can tweak the ones in my mod to what I want from them.. :/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 07:37:19 am by Arthanor »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 07:52:51 am »
Also.. The engines under the plane might work tactically, but physically, I have a hard time picturing a plane that would work like this. With engines so off center, wouldn't it just spin all the time?
For sure I would not design crafts in real life...
Would it better like this ?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 08:24:44 am by Aldorn »