Author Topic: [WIP] FlashBang Grenade  (Read 6880 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
[WIP] FlashBang Grenade
« on: July 29, 2014, 07:28:12 am »
Edit:  The latest and greatest on this modpack is now in "complete mods" here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2789.0  ;)

I worked up a working FlashBang Grenade mod.

This uses the alternate graphics from FatRat's incendiary grenade mod, and the concept of the MedGas Grenade from Roxiz231.

It is unlocked via live alien research.

Spoiler:

Feel free to give this a test, and use/mod/steal, as you like.  It will become part of my Up Close and Personal compilation. :)

Cheers, Ivan :D

Any translation help is of course extremely welcome. ;)

Edit: V.04 is up with tidied up code and the new Improved Flashbang Grenade added into the mod.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:27:46 am by ivandogovich »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] FlashBang Grenade
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 02:15:45 pm »
Nice, I will certainly use your idea

I will probably make it function as a stunning proximity grenade, because I'm afraid it could become too easy to capture an alien

Also if you need, I quickly changed colour to make it different from incendiary grenade (Beware that I removed back ground colour, but did not test it)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:52:16 pm by Aldorn »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 03:34:43 pm »
Ooops... I realized I didn't attach the .zip file to the OP.  Its there now. :)

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 04:00:34 pm »
Ooops... I realized I didn't attach the .zip file to the OP.  Its there now. :)
That's why I did not test it  ;)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 05:45:35 am »
I'm not sure it fits as a flash bang, but it would be a great weapon. Could it be possible to make a grenade that removes remaining TUs from whatever it hits, to prevent reaction fire?

I feel like stunning, which takes a few rounds to recover from, might be a bit much for a flashbang.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 08:46:19 am »
Thats a good point.  Its really just a stun grenade.  Not really a flashbang.    I used the basic infrastructure from the Medigas Grenade... which is also just a stun grenade.  It would be cool if the medigas grenade could actually put a cloud of "knock out" smoke that would persist like regular smoke and apply the stun affect to aliens that walked into it, but sadly, this is not in the current coding of the game. 

Where my idea differs a little is that this grenade stuns its victims by overloading their sensory systems, which is why the alien medic is a required breakthrough.  I will be adding a improved, higher strength version too, after another research breakthrough.

So, yeah, it would be great to apply time reduction damage, but I think that would require code re-writes. 

I toyed with Flashbang, or Knockout grenade, but felt that Flashbang is the closest I could come for my concept.

Offline Ascadix

• Captain
  • My English is as good as French schools ... :-p
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 11:42:58 pm »
Hello,

It seems to me that the handSprite: 8 is in conflict with the laser rifle handob.

But I do not know what number / id, you can use without risking another conflict.

With the mods i use, 320 is ok.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 12:00:09 am »
1) Right, do not use handob reference <= 120, as there are 16 vanilla handobs defined, also the first 16x8 = 128 sprites are reserved for vanilla (from 0 to 127)

Spoiler:
extraSprites:
  - type: BIGOBS.PCK
    files:
      #60: Resources/Flashbang/Gasgrenade.png
      100: Resources/Flashbang/Flashbang_Grenade.gif
  - type: FLOOROB.PCK
    files:
      101: Resources/Flashbang/floorob_Flashbang_grenade.GIF
  - type: HANDOB.PCK
    width: 256
    height: 40
    subX: 32
    subY: 40
    files:
      8: Resources/Flashbang/HandOb_Flashbang_Grenade.gif

So, except if you are intended to replace a vanilla handob (even in this case I would not proceed like this, but I will not explain because I am quite sure it is not your intention), use a handob > 150

As sprites number do not suffer of interference between two different mods (i.e. two ruleset), you can always make your handobs start from 150 (or 200 if you prefer)

Then you have to apply an increment of 8 between two handobs declared inside a same ruleset

And beware not to go over 1000

2) Then, be careful about case sensitive, especially regarding path and files
I can see Blabla.gif, BliBli.GIF, ...
If you want your mod to be usable by Linux users for example (there are many on this forum), it is recommended to be rigorous with filenames, and to pay attention when referencing them in your ruleset
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:08:38 am by Aldorn »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 01:14:47 am »
Hello,
It seems to me that the handSprite: 8 is in conflict with the laser rifle handob.
But I do not know what number / id, you can use without risking another conflict.
With the mods i use, 320 is ok.

Thanks for catching this!! :D

1) Right, do not use handob reference <= 120, as there are 16 vanilla handobs defined, also the first 16x8 = 128 sprites are reserved for vanilla (from 0 to 127)

2) Then, be careful about case sensitive, especially regarding path and files

Awesome Feedback, and advice!~!   I had no clue about the " <=120 " but that makes sense. :)  I'll correct those!

And I'll double check the file names etc Too! 

I'm almost ready to test v .03 which will include the Improved Flashbang. :)

Cheers, Ivan
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:28:08 am by ivandogovich »