aliens

Author Topic: [Crafts][Weapons] XCom Armoury Expanded - v1.03  (Read 112619 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: [Crafts][Weapons] XCom Armoury Expanded
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2014, 07:38:05 am »
*Picks up a broom and gets rid of cobwebs*

Well, it's been quiet here, but it's not dead! I have been working on version 0.9, which should achieve pretty much everything I had originally setup to do, and more!

One of the things I am working on is (personal) armour progression. Power suits (and flying suits, really) are much too easy to obtain in the vanilla game, so they will be delayed in the XAE Research tree. Along with this, I also never quite liked the look of it, so I thought, why not make a new one? Can't be that hard..! Oh..

Well, the new armour is almost done! It is mostly a recolor of TftD ion armour, since that one looked good as an endgame suit and I did not want to draw a whole sprite sheet (nor could I).

But for one bug I cannot figure out :( If anyone more knowledgeable than me with armours could look at the mod attached and tell me why I can't seem to get my soldiers to be drawn with the proper armour on. I have set the movementType attribute properly, I think, but when looking at my soldiers in the battlescape, it's all wrong. It seems like half the soldiers in Power Armour are drawn with Flying Armor, while all the soldiers with Flying Armor are drawn with Power Armor... Sharing a PCK or each having their own makes no difference..

Thanks in advance to whoever finds what's happening! I feel like I should offer a reward ;)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2014, 09:40:19 am »
my guess: fying armor can not have a female torso - would explain the 50:50 ratio

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2014, 05:26:46 pm »
Falco's on the right track, you have the flying suit as the female torso so if I'm correct all of the PAs that look like flying suits are all female soldiers.  (This is news to me that PA uses female sprites.) The flying armor doesn't use the female torso at all which is why you are getting none.  You'll need two sprite sheets like these(see attached) sorry for the .gif format I'm comfortable working with it and after going thru so much trouble figuring out the pallet for them I haven't gone on to figure out .pngs yet.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2014, 05:59:51 pm »
You know, I had thought about splitting the sheets like that, but when I looked at the power and flight suits, they share a sprite sheet, so I was thinking it must be doable. That's so weird... How do the suits work then?? And they do work, even the new sprite sheets from the Grav Armor mod (or the recolored ones I made) only have a regular and a flying torso, no genders. That's odd..

Oh well... Thanks for confirming my suspicion on the "hack" to fix it and explaining what's happening regarding genders. It works fine! Now I can move on! :D

XCom Armoury Expanded v0.9 coming up soon!

Offline NoelBuddy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2014, 06:16:22 pm »
Yeah, something is happening under the hood to make the shared sprites work in the default armors.  This works tho, at the small expense of an extra file and a couple extra lines in the ruleset.

The part that still doesn't make any sense to me is why none of the flying armors used the alternate torso.  If all added armors are treated the same then there should have been some, if flying armor is treated different then I am not sure how you triggered the alternate behavior... and for that matter it would seem you triggered the PAs alternate behavior(using only the first set of torsos) not the flying armor's(which would only use the second set of torsos).

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2014, 06:22:33 pm »
Yes, the behaviour is really odd. There is definitely something hidden in the code somewhere, further than the UFOPaedia seems to imply by saying "movementType" dictates the offset for flying armours. Although it's nice to be able to have gendered flying armours, Idon't think I'll do it though. In the heavier armours, it would be difficult to distinguish gender (unless you play 40k..!)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2014, 07:43:41 pm »
see
https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/blob/master/src/Battlescape/UnitSprite.cpp#L305
Code: [Select]
if (_unit->getArmor()->getType() == "STR_POWER_SUIT_UC")
{
torso = _unitSurface->getFrame(maleTorso + unitDir);
}
else if (_unit->getArmor()->getType() == "STR_FLYING_SUIT_UC")
{
torso = _unitSurface->getFrame(femaleTorso + unitDir);
}
only soldier armors with the name STR_POWER_SUIT_UC and STR_FLYING_SUIT_UC have the same torso for both gender i assume because in the original data the graphisc was put into one pck file so the devs made a special exception for these names

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Crafts][Weapons] XCom Armoury Expanded - v1.0 !!
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2014, 04:15:39 pm »
Well, at long last, I have a product I am happy enough with to release! Here is the XCom Armoury Expanded v1.0!

All the details are in the first post, but here are a few:
  • Conventional and Laser shotguns and sniper rifles. Uniform laser looks.
  • All modded fighters included in a single pack, with balanced stats so that they are all relevant in the campaign.
  • Two new transports, the Skywarden and Skyguardian, with side doors for rapid deployment of your operatives.
  • 5 tiers of weaponry: Conventional, Alloy Ammo, Lasers/Gauss, Improved Lasers/Gauss, Plasma. With new weapons added for most tiers. Delayed weapons means more challenging play, more tiers for a more fluid progression.
  • 2 new tiers of armours, for 5 total: Jumpsuit, Personal Armours, Improved Personal Armours, Power/Flying Suits, Power/Flying Armours.
  • A re-imagined research tree, with much more work for your scientists, for a longer, smoother progression.
Download it now!
Mod Rulesets and Resources
Expansion Modules Resources
(Sorry, had to split the zip in two because of size limits per uploads)

Upcoming content:
- XAE Attack Dogs: And expansion on the Attack Dog mod by Dioxine, adding two tiers of armoured dogs, corresponding to Personal Armour and Power Suit protection level.
- XAE Melee: Ever thought of slashing/smashing some aliens to bits? This module will give you all the tools you need to do so: Combat Knife, Alloy Knife, Alloy Sword, Laser Sword, Plasma Sword and Two-settings Elerium Mace.
- XAE HWP: My take on what HWPs should have been: modular engines of destruction. Will add Alien Alloy hulls for ground tanks, organize all the vanilla tanks and those present in the XAE mods and implement a new manufacturing system for HWPs. If I can manage to make the nightly work, dual weapons are also to be expected.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 04:21:13 pm by Arthanor »

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2014, 06:55:09 pm »
I'm really liking this so far, though I had to forfeit my first terror mission because ballistic guns just do not work on cyberdiscs :P

I've also found a few possible oopsies:
- Mag Armor and Scout Armor have UFOpaedia entries from the very start, obviously way before you've researched them.
- Reproduction Pod Disassembly requires Reproduction Pod... Disassembly.  Not the pod itself but its disassembly, so it's probably not possible to actually do.
- Recoveries for the plasma rifle clip and heavy plasma clip don't actually require said clips (plasma pistol clip recovery does correctly uses up its clips), so I think I can get infinite Elerium from them.

I'll let you know of any more that I find.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2014, 07:34:01 pm »
Thanks for the feedback! You're my first user I think! I am sorry to hear about the terror missions. I tend to use large rockets, heavy cannons and grenade launchers liberally (One rocket launchers and 8 rockets for a terror, 2x Heavy Cannons with 2 HE Ammos, 1 Grenade Launcher with ~6 HE grenades) so it worked for me in the early game.

Thinking about it, I nerfed the grenade launcher because it was just too good, so that might change things too.. I am not sure if there is more I can/should do to address cyberdiscs. They are a foe to be feared for sure. Let me know if you come up with something!

Regarding the bugs: Oh.. ohoh! :D That's what version 1.01 will be for! I have an ongoing game which serves to test most of these, so some things definitely slip by. The armor being a good example: I would only check after having done the research. I'll fix the requirements for the rest.

BTW, I've got the Tanks mod finished: modular tanks (weapon and hulls are separate, you can assemble what you need before battle and dismantle them to get the components back), in 3 varieties: Regular, Alloy Hull and Hovertank, for Rockets, Laser, Elerium Laser, Gauss and DE Gauss ammo. I have attached a teaser for the threadheads.

What next? More doggies or melee? I'm thinking melee.. (and bug fixes.. every new release will have bug fixes, of course!)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:38:43 pm by Arthanor »

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2014, 08:16:27 pm »
Ooh, tanks.  Looking forward to it.

Anyway, another error: The Alloy Cannon doesn't consume any of its ammo when it's rearming.  However, it still gives back its ammo when removed from a craft so it's possible to manufacture its ammo for free by rearming and removing the cannon over and over.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:54 pm »
uh? That's really weird.. I haven't used the cannon in a while (building my Avenger now :D).

I'll address the bugs you reported and release fixes along with the tanks soon. And I thought I had thoroughly tested things!  ::)

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2014, 12:11:12 am »
Well there is a few mods I have been looking over and this one seems pretty cool.

I really like that you can build tanks and chassis seperatley and then make WTF ever tank you need. I would love to see that functionality with two weapon tanks.

Armored doges... So metal, much win, eatin' sectoads

I am also intrigued by the idea of a quick draw slot... but in a different manner.  A sling.  Yes a simple cross body 3 point sling slot. 1 by 3 for rifles, smgs, that costs 4 to deploy just like the belt and hand to sling is 2 mimicing simply letting the weapon go and giving it a push so you can shoot hands free or whatever.

I'm not sure if balancing this is possible... remove 3 back pack slots? mayber.

pistols fit great in a belt so I don't know...

-HH

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2014, 04:22:53 am »
Version 1.01 is ready! Providing you with:

- An all new tier of tanks with alloy hulls. (Currently.. overpowered? They have the same armor as hovertanks which might be too much.. Let me know!)
- A complete rework of tanks to be modular: Hull and Weapon are separate. You can now replace the obsolete cannon turret with a shiny new laser cannon, or put a rocket launcher on your hovertanks! (For those who want "regular tanks", an alternate ruleset will be coming soon)
* Destroyed tank hulls are repairable, to work along the new armours and the changes made by the GravArmors mod (Strongly recommended, to be incorporated eventually) which allow infantry armour to be repaired. Tank weapons are destroyed, however, as the aliens always make sure to take them out.
- Bug fixes (thanks to BBHood217 for many reports):
* Elerium Laser Cannons now have a proper listOrder
* Improved MediKits floorob graphics no longer replace one of the Sectopod corpse tiles
* Scout and Mag Armours no longer show up in the ufopaedia before being discovered (No spoilers!)
* Elerium recovery from plasma rifle clips and heavy plasma rifle clips should now work properly
* Erroneous renaming of Alien Reproduction removed
* The Alloy Cannon craft weapon now properly uses its ammo to reload (case sensitivity..!  ::))

Stay tuned for more:
- XAE Elerium Explosives: New ammunition for our old weapons using the destructive power of Elerium (Heavy Explosive, Rockets, Heavy Cannon, AutoCannon). Will also include an alternate path to Elerium Bombs and Elerium missiles since the bombs proved to be very elusive. An immediate benefit of the "Elerium Weaponization" research.
- XAE Melee: Ever thought of slashing/smashing some aliens to bits? This module will give you all the tools you need to do so: Combat Knife, Alloy Knife, Alloy Sword, Laser Sword, Plasma Sword and Two-settings Elerium Mace.
- XAE Attack Dogs: And expansion on the Attack Dog mod by Dioxine, adding two tiers of armoured dogs, corresponding to Personal Armour and Power Suit protection level.
- XAE Hard Mode: Add an extra challenge to your game! Makes research longer and more complex, weapon requirement changes, hovertanks explode on death if not stunned/exploded (like Cyberdiscs), etc. If you have ideas, let me know!

The XCom Armoury Expanded, v1.01:

Part1
Part2
Part3

My apologies for the triple download, such is life without the mod portal.. I will eventually figure out a hosting solution.

===================

@HelmetHair: I am glad the mod peaked your interest!

I just managed to get the nightly OpenXCom to run properly. 2 weapons HWP are something I am considering for sure. It should be simple to implement within the structure I already have. It most likely will be in an optional ruleset since the manufacture list is already getting long and it does not work for 1.0.

Regarding a quick draw sling slot, I am thinking about something like that, also related to the melee module I intend to make. If you have to keep a sword in your backpack and drawing it eats lots of TUs, then they become much less attractive. It could work for rifles as well.

I am concerned, however, by the flexibility it gives to XCom operatives, compared to the poor aliens who barely know how to use one weapon (almost always use snap shots, unaware of chance to hit when choosing which shot to use) and grenades.

Our operatives can already carry.. 2-7 weapons in battle. I sometimes use 2 rifles + 1 pistol, you can push it to 4 pistols + 3 rifles! And use the best one every time, unlike an alien who only has one weapon and no clue that snap shots lose accuracy after 15 tiles. I am planning a mod for aliens ("Starspawn: Horrors from Above" is my working name) and there is a lot to address.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:30:47 am by Arthanor »

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
Re: [Crafts][Weapons] XCom Armoury Expanded - v1.01 !!
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2014, 05:47:29 am »

@HelmetHair: I am glad the mod peaked your interest!

I just managed to get the nightly OpenXCom to run properly. 2 weapons HWP are something I am considering for sure. It should be simple to implement within the structure I already have. It most likely will be in an optional ruleset since the manufacture list is already getting long and it does not work for 1.0.

Regarding a quick draw sling slot, I am thinking about something like that, also related to the melee module I intend to make. If you have to keep a sword in your backpack and drawing it eats lots of TUs, then they become much less attractive. It could work for rifles as well.

I am concerned, however, by the flexibility it gives to XCom operatives, compared to the poor aliens who barely know how to use one weapon (almost always use snap shots, unaware of chance to hit when choosing which shot to use) and grenades.

Our operatives can already carry.. 2-7 weapons in battle. I sometimes use 2 rifles + 1 pistol, you can push it to 4 pistols + 3 rifles! And use the best one every time, unlike an alien who only has one weapon and no clue that snap shots lose accuracy after 15 tiles. I am planning a mod for aliens ("Starspawn: Horrors from Above" is my working name) and there is a lot to address.

A few quick comments on these topics.

I'm not a fan of swords, seems a touch weaboo for me, but I am a huge fan of the combat knife and letting players and modders do what they do.

Maybe a slight change in the way shoulder slots are actually allocated. Right shoulder being a 2 vertical instead of 2 horizontal simulating a knife sheath or an under slung holster, yes I know strong side carry is not to be encouraged in real life and all soldiers are right handed but space is limited! and replace left shoulder with with a three vertical to simulate a sling or sword sheathe while removing 1 slot from the belt; no free lunch after all... I'd Keep the TU costs the same and roll with it. This would simulate the "quick draw" nature of getting a weapon into play for 3 TUs and the 10 TU cost of reholstering/ resheathing would simulate safely putting a weapon away... No free lunch once again.

The greatest difference I can think of for me would be in my initial assault on a UFO. Rolling up with a tank, launching a an SSRL (Cuz ET is sweet) drawing a knife and pistol and getting to work or a pistol and a Stunstick. etc etc etc. Or after a panicked soldier quits panicking have him pull a rifle from his sling since he dropped whatever was in his hand. Or tossing in a flashbang, sicking the dogs on those grey bastards and then shooting the ones... you get the point.

The aliens AI does drag its knuckles sometimes... but I think there are a few things that could be done. I think maybe I'll look into it, it at least will be intellectually stimulating.

One option is to keep alien weapons unusable by X-com, and up the accuracy of those alien weapons while reducing the TU cost. Hell, make snapshot only shoot full auto and more accurate. So Alien weapons must be converted to be usable by X-Com and so the very much superior stats would be hidden from the player.

More insidious alien weapons like my idea of the infection gun... that is straight up terrifying to me. 

Maybe tweaking spawns so you have clusters of difficult units? Like 2-3 cyberdisks together acting like a wedge with sectoids coming closing in... The only thing I am not sure about is selectively giving information and removing it based on turn.

thoughts??

-HH