aliens

Author Topic: [Weapon][Armor]Equal Terms Mod v1.0 for OpenXcom  (Read 61539 times)

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
  • Never let me down again.
    • View Profile
    • Mod Hub for Equal Terms 2.0
Re: [Weapon][Armor]Equal Terms Mod v1.0 for OpenXcom
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 03:33:06 am »
Love gfx and descriptions.....by the way I'll just reiterate that I love the descriptions as a whole, also for wolfram....I like the sense of depth those give.

By the way, seriously a laser pistol that featherllight?

Wolfram is the original name for Tungsten, and since almost all of the AP weapons use it as penetrators, it seemed fitting. 

Also, thank you for the kind words about the weapon writeups. I absolutely love doing fluff work on projects and canon-stitching (as I call it) to enhance the flavor of games.

Yeah, the Pistol was 2 + 1 for the mag (three while loaded), and the Laser pistol is 3, so it's actually the same weight, but I more consider it a 2.98.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 01:40:51 am »
Preliminary testing shows that putting shotgun's Snap Shot accuracy within 125-150% range delivers desired pellet saturation (3-5 hits out of 7 - so the single pellet damage can stay realistically low), while setting snapRange to 4 and dropoff to 4 ensures the weapon is very unreliable at ranges above 10, and useless at ranges above 20, despite such radically increased accuracy. This has also an effect of making it a perfect weapon for untrained soldiers (which until now was the Sniper Rifle, of all things), as long as they can get close.

How to deal with Aimed Shots is another issue, I've simply added +40% accuracy while leaving aimRange at 4 too.

Some fine tuning is in order but I believe this setup is more or less 'realistic'.

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 04:10:12 am »
Preliminary testing shows that putting shotgun's Snap Shot accuracy within 125-150% range delivers desired pellet saturation (3-5 hits out of 7 - so the single pellet damage can stay realistically low), while setting snapRange to 4 and dropoff to 4 ensures the weapon is very unreliable at ranges above 10, and useless at ranges above 20, despite such radically increased accuracy. This has also an effect of making it a perfect weapon for untrained soldiers (which until now was the Sniper Rifle, of all things), as long as they can get close.

How to deal with Aimed Shots is another issue, I've simply added +40% accuracy while leaving aimRange at 4 too.

Some fine tuning is in order but I believe this setup is more or less 'realistic'.

That sounds like exactly what I was looking for, I'll rush to implement that and credit you for sure.  I was honestly about to pull the shotgun since it was working so poorly.

Thanks again, man.

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 04:18:01 am »
This has also an effect of making it a perfect weapon for untrained soldiers (which until now was the Sniper Rifle, of all things), as long as they can get close.

I've been noticing that too, I'm going to adjust down the accuracy of the sniper rifle, since it's a huge jump up from the nearest.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 12:12:37 pm »
Side note: if you want the Shotgun to fire solid slugs as well, range 6 dropoff 6 seems to be enough to find reasonable balance between the two (and keeping the accuracy below about 135% threshold else it gets insane with high-end soldiers)

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 06:22:41 pm »
Side note: if you want the Shotgun to fire solid slugs as well, range 6 dropoff 6 seems to be enough to find reasonable balance between the two (and keeping the accuracy below about 135% threshold else it gets insane with high-end soldiers)

So it's around 130 for snap and 170 for aimed, you are proposing?

I'm arms deep in the C++ code right now, trying to detangle this without having to have weird accuracy numbers.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 09:38:25 pm »
I've currently settled for range 6, dropoff 6, acc 135; for aimed I went with just 150 acc but 12 range; the increased range might be a bit illogical, but getting too high acc could lead to crazy performance with 100+ Accuracy skill soldiers (as it works by multiplying)... however more playtesting is in order, also I'm trying to balance the slugs and the pellets in the same weapon, so my results may be suboptimal for you; also a side note - you need the shotgun to have at least about 15 power to reliably demolish the weakest wooden walls. Like I said, testing and fine-tuning is still needed.

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 10:20:53 pm »
I've currently settled for range 6, dropoff 6, acc 135; for aimed I went with just 150 acc but 12 range; the increased range might be a bit illogical, but getting too high acc could lead to crazy performance with 100+ Accuracy skill soldiers (as it works by multiplying)... however more playtesting is in order, also I'm trying to balance the slugs and the pellets in the same weapon, so my results may be suboptimal for you; also a side note - you need the shotgun to have at least about 15 power to reliably demolish the weakest wooden walls. Like I said, testing and fine-tuning is still needed.

You've done so much work with your Piratez mod, I can see how you've tested all this. I do appreciate the information.

I'm going to bump up the damage again to 15 and 19 (alloy) and then really investigate how I can modify the shot draw.  My research has found that buckshot/flechettes have a spread of around 1.5 degrees at 50 yards or so.  So I need the routine to:

Check to see if the shot has 'pellets'
If(true)
Draw initial shot 'lane' off the normal accuracy of the weapon.
Draw the rest of the shot lines with around .75 degree variance in the arc.

Then I can take down all of the weird accuracy changes.

Curiously, Ronnie James Dio, does your mod use a modified EXE?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2014, 08:29:09 am »
Modified .exe? Of course not :) Compatibility & support are paramount.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2014, 05:10:59 pm »
Yes, I agree that your mod is very useful, I'm not into designing mods myself as I wouldn't have a clue where to begin but I do like to see how many I can get onto a game within reason before serious problems begin. Just one question with two points, as you will see from my attached .sav file, why does the in game & ufopaedia images of a rocket launcher look like a sniper rifle!(Still works so it's not a major problem) and why does the game say that APFSDS rockets are the wrong type of ammunition when I try to load the rocket launcher. PS why does the ufopaedia page not show the APFSDS rocket image?

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2014, 06:48:05 pm »
Yes, I agree that your mod is very useful, I'm not into designing mods myself as I wouldn't have a clue where to begin but I do like to see how many I can get onto a game within reason before serious problems begin. Just one question with two points, as you will see from my attached .sav file, why does the in game & ufopaedia images of a rocket launcher look like a sniper rifle!(Still works so it's not a major problem) and why does the game say that APFSDS rockets are the wrong type of ammunition when I try to load the rocket launcher. PS why does the ufopaedia page not show the APFSDS rocket image?

I will investigate this issue tonight. I'm suspecting that there is either a bad reference or a copy-pasta'd image that I did not clear up for the wrong graphic for the rocket launcher and the APFSDS rocket not loading are curious.

The APFSDS rocket does not show in the ufopedia because there is a limitation to the display of ammo for weapons: no more than 3 can show.  There are 4 available rockets, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:52:37 pm by KingMob4313 »

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2014, 05:04:21 am »

Not seeing the same behavior in my game, but I suspect something might be causing this.   You do have a TON of mods enabled, so I'll do a few things to differentiate items to avoid collisions.

See the attached pic.

I'll do a quick mod of the ruleset that should fix things, I hope.

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2014, 05:09:52 am »
SIMON, please see the attached file.  It has a number of small customizations to make it (hopefully) play nice with other mods.

This is untested, so I hope it works.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2014, 04:08:02 pm »
Hello again,
I took a look at your mod's graphics resources and was inspired to give them some workover. I'm not Yrizoud or Robin, but you might find these worthy none the less.

So far I've tackled the SAW, smoothened it a bit, and, loosely basing on Minimi, replaced the handle, changed the proportions a bit and added the gas pipe. Two versions: one with closed ammo intake, one with ammo belt visible (I've also changed the default size from 2x3 to 1x3, as SAWs aren't that big, but this can be easily changed back).

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2014, 12:36:50 am »
Hello again,
I took a look at your mod's graphics resources and was inspired to give them some workover. I'm not Yrizoud or Robin, but you might find these worthy none the less.

So far I've tackled the SAW, smoothened it a bit, and, loosely basing on Minimi, replaced the handle, changed the proportions a bit and added the gas pipe. Two versions: one with closed ammo intake, one with ammo belt visible (I've also changed the default size from 2x3 to 1x3, as SAWs aren't that big, but this can be easily changed back).

Brilliant stuff! I'm going to take the first one and incorporate it immediately.  I like the exposed belt one, but since the alloy ammo looks different than the default ammo, it doesn't quite work.  It's very much based on the M249 Minimi, so this is perfect.  I am keeping it 2x3 and keeping some of the width of it, but it's a great take and I've incorporated it into version 1.975 and attributed it.

Thanks again, man!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 12:55:20 am by KingMob4313 »