aliens

Poll

If a Unit is  Unconscious on the ground and i decide to place a grenade on his head Should he live or die?

Image#1 (square pixel, 1:1)
0 (0%)
Image#2 (non-square pixel, 1:1:2)
9 (81.8%)
I dont care just finsh version 1.0!
2 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: July 21, 2012, 01:39:13 pm

Author Topic: Units Unconscious on the ground  (Read 6396 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Units Unconscious on the ground
« on: July 01, 2012, 01:39:13 pm »
according to ufopaedia items, including corpses don't take damage from fire. Should this be a optional rule as it could create a few new strategies?

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: Units Unconscious on the ground
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:54:01 pm »
the poll is kind of incomplete. I'm for "the unit should take damage like a unit".
Items have a simple mechanic: if the damage dealt exceeds a certain value, they are destroyed (as in, they cease to exist).
Unconscious units should take damage like a unit would: damage value is reduced by the appropriate armor value and then subtracted from the unit's health value.

just don't ask me what part of the armor the explosive damage should be applied to :)

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 02:06:52 pm »
In openxcom bugs are fixed, but the "rules" should not be changed, unless it's optional.

I agree with this point.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 02:13:40 pm »
I agree with this point.

I agree it would be very easy to ruin the game IF we add everything anyone had ever thought about at 2 am whilst playing this game, if anyone was ever to add the code for this rule ( and  i am not saying anyone ever will) it needs to be optional as it could change the style of play.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 02:20:21 pm »
I agree. but if you consider that unconscious units do take damage from fatal wounds, my guess is that implementing environmental and blast damage was not omitted intentionally, but instead because it wasn't a priority.

I'd say that it doesn't need to be in right now, but care should be taken that the code design allows for adding it later / as a mod. I don't know, maybe by creating a different type of "item class" for unconscious units instead of just turning them into items completely.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 03:32:57 pm »
It wasn't a priority probably because it's not a very common situation. It makes sense to have unconscious units be damaged as units. Then the health of the unit plays a role - veteran units with a lot of health have greater chance of survival in such a situation. The code design allows for it to be implemented. But making it optional keeps the purists happy.

Note that generally the chance of survival as an item (unconscious corpse) is 0 against even the standard grenade.
Corpse items have armor of 20-30-40 depending on the unit's armor. A standard grenade already has 50 power at ground zero. So unconscious corpses are always gone.
If you'd change that, then you can say that only weak unarmoured unconscious soldiers will be one-shotted with a grenade. But stronger or armoured soldiers will mostly survive a blast from a standard grenade.

In the same way they can be affected by smoke, fire and stun bombs.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 04:45:05 pm »
In the same way they can be affected by smoke, fire and stun bombs.
sleeping in fire or smoke should be deadly :D

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 07:58:55 pm »
sleeping in fire or smoke should be deadly :D

considering the game mechanics, it will just be "longer sleep", because smoke only does stun damage. just sayin'... :)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 11:58:13 pm »
he probably just invented a new kind of weapon with deadly smoke :p

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile