aliens

Author Topic: Civilians in transport should count as saved  (Read 17419 times)

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Civilians in transport should count as saved
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 03:42:50 am »
True...sometimes its better to just shoot the hostages.  So why not just nuke the site from high orbit?  Save a bullet or three.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 05:30:31 am »
I dearly wish there was some option to help control civilians. Seeing them running towards the alien instead of within the perimeter established by my agents is just painful. Some amount of "civilian stupidity" could work, like a chance to run towards another recently shot civilian ("Jenny!! NOOoooo!!!! *too late*) but their totally random behavior is annoying.

I never thought of stunning civilians to bring them to safety, but It could somewhat work if they woke up behind XCom lines where their life isn't at risk. Some kind of improvement could be made, even though it is well beyond my abilities...

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 08:01:37 am »
As far as I know the AI for civilians is the same as the alien AI. They seem to behave pretty much the same, and I think if you gave the civs weapons they wouldn't seem so incompetent.

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 01:57:05 pm »
As far as I know the AI for civilians is the same as the alien AI. They seem to behave pretty much the same, and I think if you gave the civs weapons they wouldn't seem so incompetent.

It's idea! Several civilians can have pistols, may be one-two rifles. Terror missions can be more fun:)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 04:36:23 pm »

The difference is that civilians won't engage hostile units on their own but will still reaction fire. At least that's how it worked with the original game since there was a mod that armed civilians with pistols.

Offline Elyseon

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 05:47:42 pm »
Wait... you're supposed to save civilians?????

To me that's a novel concept  ;D

I know right? Especially when they tend to commit suicide by stupidity. "Oh, what's that thing over there shooting green bolts of death? I think I'll go give it a hug!" "Oh, a soldier trying to save me! I'd better run around like a retard and block the doorways or stand in his line of fire!"

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 05:02:41 am »
The difference is that civilians won't engage hostile units on their own but will still reaction fire. At least that's how it worked with the original game since there was a mod that armed civilians with pistols.

This seems to be the case with OpenXcom as well, although there are no armed civilian mods that I've heard of for OXC.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 06:10:07 pm »
Reaction fire would work: They don't go out hunting for Aliens (that's our job!) but they shoot 'em if they see 'em walking on the lawn!

On top of that, having something where civilians either stay at home/indoors or walk towards your craft would be a huge improvement.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 07:44:46 pm »
And lets not forget you can simply stun bomb them

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 03:45:01 pm »
oh oh! what about forcefull conscription?!?! I stun the civilian... bring him onboard to safety... xcom gets a new rookie >.<

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 06:19:32 am »
I guess it would explain the terrible rookie stats, if X-COM drew recruits from the general population.

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 05:42:11 pm »
Actually, that would be an interesting idea.  Rescues giving an award.  Each civilian saved gives a 10% chance of getting a scientist, engineer or soldier added to your mix.  Didn't Apoc have that?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 12:04:51 pm »
oh oh! what about forcefull conscription?!?! I stun the civilian... bring him onboard to safety... xcom gets a new rookie >.<

Press-ganging into the war against the foul Xenos... For the Emperor!

niculinux

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 06:28:00 pm »

would be.nice to have it on the portal mod, updated for openxcom :P

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 09:20:28 am »
Press-ganging into the war against the foul Xenos... For the Emperor!

Blood...for the Blood Gods!!!

(All we need now is some geneseed...)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 09:21:59 am by BlackLibrary »