Author Topic: Tactical Lightning Testing  (Read 15553 times)

x60mmx

Tactical Lightning Testing
« on: July 18, 2014, 04:08:39 am »
I decided to make a mod implementing layout changes to the Lightning to make it useful as I have dreamed of for nearly 20 years.  Using Mapview I got the Lightning how I want it and it loads in game fine, plus the grav-elevators work.  Deployment has become the problem.  I think it has to do with the fact that I have zero clue about the RMP view stuff.  I know it has to do with spawn points and alien routes but thats it.  Any pointers on how to configure it?

Here is a pic of it in mapview.  Along with the layout change, it will carry 8 soldiers, can carry 1 HWP, and has a much better range so it is actually useful. The idea is for it to be a fast response transport for small squads.  I always liked using smaller squads once I got further in the game, and this lets the Avenger and Skyrange keep a role for when you need lots of troops.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 01:27:51 am by x60mmx »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: RMP help
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 04:44:03 am »
I decided to make a mod implementing layout changes to the Lightning to make it useful as I have dreamed of for nearly 20 years.  Using Mapview I got the Lightning how I want it and it loads in game fine, plus the grav-elevators work.  Deployment has become the problem.  I think it has to do with the fact that I have zero clue about the RMP view stuff.  I know it has to do with spawn points and alien routes but thats it.  Any pointers on how to configure it?

Here is a pic of it in mapview.  Along with the layout change, it will carry 8 soldiers, can carry 1 HWP, and has a much better range so it is actually useful. The idea is for it to be a fast response transport for small squads.  I always liked using smaller squads once I got further in the game, and this lets the Avenger and Skyrange keep a role for when you need lots of troops.

Are there any spawn points defined? Can you post a pic of MapView's RmpView?

Have you also created the ruleset to allow the Lightning to carry HWPs?

x60mmx

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 04:56:18 am »
I haven't changed anything in the RMP since I have no idea what I would be doing.  I modified the Lightnings layout, did not create one from scratch so it still has it's default RMP.  I had to resize the craft though so it did get shifted.

As far as the HWP, yes.  I can load one up just fine in game.  Havent tried taking one into battle, want to get troop deployment figured out first.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 07:10:16 am »
Well, for an explanation of what the .RMP are used for check the ROUTES page of UFOPaedia.

You'll need to create 1 spawn point inside the Lightning and 2-4 outside. The vanilla Lightning only has 2 spawn points outside but it may be better if the aliens can approach the underside of the craft from all directions.

Offline tnarg

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 12:56:47 pm »
I love this.  I had thoght about making new Xcom craft maps.  But it never crossed my mind to so this to the lighting.  Its a realy good idea I hope you get it working.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 01:09:15 pm »
I like the design! The role as fast small-squad transport makes a lot of sense, as well as the grav-lifts. I'm looking forward to it!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 07:18:40 pm »
I like it too. The vanilla Lightning was pretty much useless, and this design not only fixes this problem, but also makes the craft tactically unique thanks to the lifts.

x60mmx

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 08:52:10 pm »
So I redid the Lightning on a 14x14 map instead of the 10x20 so that it would have good clearance around it.  Tried setting the spawn points based off of how they appear to work for the Skyranger and Avenger.  For the RMP "Links" I put the distance to reach the edge in that direction.  When in game it spawns the ship right next to a building, erasing it's wall, and an alien spawns inside.  This happened when I was on a 12x12 map, so i changed it to 14x14 to give it more room but it still hugs it against the building.  Is it still treating it as a 10x20 map?  And what am i doing wrong with the spawns?  Thanks for the support guys!

Offline tnarg

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 09:03:17 pm »
Are you changing the ruleset to be 14x14 or just the map.  if you just changed the map then it will be the same size proberly cropping the map?

I thoght the maps had to be multibles of 10 ie 10x20 or 20x20.

Also you seem to be using an UFO navergation you going to have to be carfull or you get that as loot at the end of the mission.

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 10:13:08 pm »
I agree with moriarty, nice design choice x60mmx.

The vanilla Lightning was pretty much useless

Yes to this, so very much. The only use I could find for it is to pack a bunch of rookies on it to send on small missions, but really it's useless for that too because you can't include a HWP, which is a massive help to inexperienced crews throughout the game. Plus, by the time you get it, you'll already have access to the Firestorm and to the Avenger research.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 11:55:31 pm »
Are you changing the ruleset to be 14x14 or just the map.  if you just changed the map then it will be the same size proberly cropping the map?

I thoght the maps had to be multibles of 10 ie 10x20 or 20x20.

Also you seem to be using an UFO navergation you going to have to be carfull or you get that as loot at the end of the mission.

Like tnarg has mentioned, maps have to be multiples of 10x10 or they won't work.

x60mmx

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 01:12:44 am »
14x14 actually works fine it appears.  Changing the Lightnings map size in the ruleset fixed my earlier issues.  Also found out that the game wont deploy troops on any of the tiles i used from the ufo set so I had to change deployment but it seems to be working fine now.  Tested it with 8 troops and with 1 HWP + 4 troops, grav-elevators work and you can throw smoke grenades to the top of the craft and below it without exiting.

Anyone wanna test it before I put it up on the mod sight?  I dont have the time in my life right now to play X-Com, I just really wanna make this dream happen, so testers would be greatly appreciated! :) PLEASE back up the files it replaces plus your save games just in case.  I'd rather not it cause anyone any headache ;)

https://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=01832441083537611400

If you find anything in the .rul file that breaks saves, etc. and you fix it I will credit you ;) I should mention I removed Elerium as its fuel and added 50 Elerium as a manufacturing requirement.  Thanks guys, feedback greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:22:04 am by x60mmx »

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Tactical Lightning Testing
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 08:03:45 pm »
In my opinion your craft overlap the next map
when it is free alt level 1 for four cell, all is right
otherwise Ligninght could break an house wall ... or adverse ...
but it could be a little incident on landing ... ::)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 08:05:25 pm »

It's less fun if it demolishes half a Terror Ship.

I've seen this happening with some unpolished maps. :)

x60mmx

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 08:11:11 pm »

Let me know if it actually happens in game, it was doing that previously but I fixed it and I haven't seen it do it since.