aliens

Author Topic: More active base weapons  (Read 2573 times)

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
More active base weapons
« on: July 27, 2014, 02:49:03 pm »
I had a weird idea to make base weapons more worthwhile.The base would function as a sort of interceptor than when a ufo gets close to the base it would bring a interceptor scene.The way it would work is that the weapons instead of being facilities would be some sort of craft weapon that could be equiped in the base.When If the ufo ''destroys'' the base,the weapons that the base would be equiped with will be destroyed.Another idea was basicaly the same thing but the weapons would still be facilities but im not sure that is even codable.
I would really like to make those facilities more usefull than only base assaults.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: More active base weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 04:28:18 pm »
I guess the main point against it is the need for secrecy... if an xcom base fired at a UFO, everybody (including the UFO) would immediately know that there's a base right there.

or were you thinking about some kind of automatic interception drone? an interceptor-like defense mechanism that automatically lifts off and engages nearby UFOs (including but not limited to UFOs attacking the base)? that would in itself be interesting, especially when used by the aliens, too... but probably a real pain to code.

I'd like the base defenses to deal meaningful damage instead: the attacking aliens should be wounded and/or killed by base defense hits. so even if your base defenses are too weak to destroy the incoming UFO, they would still decrease the invader's fighting power.

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: More active base weapons
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 12:01:43 am »
I don't think shooting UFOs out of the sky would be feasible, since distances involved are way too large.

But damn, it would be great. :)